Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city should i move to?
chicago 7 26.92%
austin 13 50.00%
portland, oregon 8 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 02:00 PM

83 posts, read 99,296 times

Advertisements

Traffic is not terrible in Portland. It is nothing compared to the San Francisco Bay Area, LA, or San Diego. It gets clogged up, but not like it does in CA (I have lived all over CA). I can get downtown to PSU from 10 miles away in SE Portland in 20-40 minutes (depending on the severity of traffic). That isn't bad at all, compared to the 1-2 hour commutes in parts of CA, especially for crossing a bridge to get downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gookgette View Post
hello! i can't decide where to move.

i want:

- nice, mild weather - i hate, hate the cold. i'm originally from the midwest (cleveland). i like to run, so i want to be able to run everyday without dreading the cold.

- ethnic diversity, culture - very important to me being asian-american and growing up in ohio!

- outdoorsy/nature - i like there to be places to go on the weekends. i'm tired of going to niagara falls.

- chicago - has family....

- young professionals, hip, young people

- low-moderate cost of living - i will have a well-paying job, but i still want to make a dent on my student loans... chicago seemed kinda $$$. i found a 1 bedroom for $1100...
Austin sounds like a great fit.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gookgette View Post
hello! i can't decide where to move.

i want:

- nice, mild weather - i hate, hate the cold. i'm originally from the midwest (cleveland). i like to run, so i want to be able to run everyday without dreading the cold.

- ethnic diversity, culture - very important to me being asian-american and growing up in ohio!

- outdoorsy/nature - i like there to be places to go on the weekends. i'm tired of going to niagara falls.

- chicago - has family....

- young professionals, hip, young people

- low-moderate cost of living - i will have a well-paying job, but i still want to make a dent on my student loans... chicago seemed kinda $$$. i found a 1 bedroom for $1100...
If Chicago is on your list (despite the cold and cost??) then Denver should be as well as it meets all your other requirements extremely well, is as good as it gets for any place that receives snow and is cheaper than Chicago too.

Also, if I'm completely honest -- Portland and Denver have a lot more options for weekend jaunts than Austin or anywhere in TX. A lot. Of course, this is based on what you're used to.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
If Chicago is on your list (despite the cold and cost??) then Denver should be as well as it meets all your other requirements extremely well, is as good as it gets for any place that receives snow and is cheaper than Chicago too.

Also, if I'm completely honest -- Portland and Denver have a lot more options for weekend jaunts than Austin or anywhere in TX. A lot. Of course, this is based on what you're used to.
I've lived in Colorado, Wyoming and NE Utah, and i disagree with what you say here. There is a crap-ton of things to do in easy driving distance of Austin, and amazing amount in fact. Within an hour and a half to two hours you have multiple amazing theme parks, countless lakes and campsites, most of the beautiful hill country, all of the great and quirky things to do here, natural caverns, San Antonio and the historical sites and Riverwalk ... if you want to go to "weekend jaunts" we are easy driving distance to two major metropolisses (Houston and DFW), as well as the beach. If you live in Austin and can't find things to do you aren't trying.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
I've lived in Colorado, Wyoming and NE Utah, and i disagree with what you say here. There is a crap-ton of things to do in easy driving distance of Austin, and amazing amount in fact. Within an hour and a half to two hours you have multiple amazing theme parks, countless lakes and campsites, most of the beautiful hill country, all of the great and quirky things to do here, natural caverns, San Antonio and the historical sites and Riverwalk ... if you want to go to "weekend jaunts" we are easy driving distance to two major metropolisses (Houston and DFW), as well as the beach. If you live in Austin and can't find things to do you aren't trying.
We will have to agree to disagree when it comes to things to do. I didn't say Austin doesn't have a lot of things to do recreationally, I said Portland and Denver have more. (Aside from theme parks -- theme parks, yes, TX wins —we love our Sea World Fun Card!)

As I pointed out, it is subjective based purely on what you are used to. I will also caveat this by saying I grew up in both northern and southern CA near some of the most scenic places in this country.

It has been one of our biggest surprises upon moving here, especially since we had expectations based on specific raves: 'there is so much to do and see'. There's hill country which is pretty but simply roads through some hills with a smattering of interesting and not-so-interesting towns. There's a few not-all-that scenic and some really sad-looking lakes when compared to lakes in other states. It IS nice that they are warm, but they are not as scenic as TN or GA where I've spent a lot of time on lakes.There's Houston, Dallas and San Antonio -- those are clearly subjective. There's the gulf, which is -- the gulf… it leaves a lot to be desired with the exception of SPI.

And then there's hundreds and hundreds of miles of not much at all. Maybe we'll get to Big Bend or Marfa, we hear good things.

CO offers a top tourist destination national park (and then 3 others including Sand Dunes), 53 fourteeners offering hiking and climbing and exploring around them year round, a dozen ski and snow towns that are famous for being some of the most beautiful places in the world to hike, bike, explore, relax (let alone ski), another 15 ski resorts not associated with specific towns. The Rockies translate to amazing views, at treeline and in and around the Front Range cities and in your backyard. Natural hot springs, caverns and river rafting, endless protected but usable open space IN town, in new and old neighborhoods -- all over town. Hundreds of alpine lakes offering some of the best camping and hiking anywhere, all scenic and calendar-worthy. And, if you want to go a little farther, of course, there's the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Santa Fe, Taos, Moab, Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Valley. And then there's 'in town'. Again this is subjective. The Greenbelt, Lady Bird Lake, Zilker, Barton Springs, Bull Creek, other swimming holes, a mostly private-access lake, another bigger lake that's ok but not really of use unless you have a boat. All lovely, we enjoy spending time in these places ,but there's no comparison to the sheer number of similar recreational things in town, (even just hiking options alone) in a place like Denver.

We do look for things to do and take an active approach to it so perhaps that is what has helped reveal how this subject is truly subjective based on where you've spent a lot of time and what that place has to offer in both quantity and quality of recreational activities. It also can put things in perspective as far as what one takes for granted. At the end of the day, I like Austin and it is our home for now. But I also really like how Texans who have been here a while and/or grew up here, love and respect TX deeply and it's simply their favorite place so there's no other place they'd rather be, it's the best for them, regardless of what newcomers think — that's something I can respect and admire.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:44 PM

67 posts, read 171,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MallieF View Post
Traffic is not terrible in Portland. It is nothing compared to the San Francisco Bay Area, LA, or San Diego. It gets clogged up, but not like it does in CA (I have lived all over CA). I can get downtown to PSU from 10 miles away in SE Portland in 20-40 minutes (depending on the severity of traffic). That isn't bad at all, compared to the 1-2 hour commutes in parts of CA, especially for crossing a bridge to get downtown.
I lived in Portland for years, and traffic has gotten progressively worse; every time I go back, I'm stunned at how bad it is. Sure it's not like L.A. or the Bay Area -- which have some of the worst traffic in the country -- but the freeways in Portland regularly come to an absolute standstill even on the weekends. It's really getting difficult to get around. That said, Austin has bad traffic, too, and at all hours of the day. Makes me glad I work at home!

Not sure what traffic is like in Chicago...bad, I'll bet!

Old 12-22-2012, 12:08 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Dallas, or Corpus Christi sounds more to your liking, if you want no State income taxes and less cost of living. Austin's property taxes make up for no income tax.
Austin is too Conservative, for a Mid-Westerner. It is more Progressive than most of Texas, but it is still Texas, not Portland Progressive and definitely not Chicago Progressive.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilarDLS View Post
I lived in Portland for years, and traffic has gotten progressively worse; every time I go back, I'm stunned at how bad it is. Sure it's not like L.A. or the Bay Area -- which have some of the worst traffic in the country -- but the freeways in Portland regularly come to an absolute standstill even on the weekends. It's really getting difficult to get around.
Problem is, if you think Portland's traffic is bad, then you'll probably hate Austin's.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 AM

239 posts, read 518,203 times
It is however effing freezing starting in November and in many years extending till May.

Once again, opinion not fact : Average Weather for Chicago, IL - Temperature and Precipitation IMO...people not used to four seasons, especially cold weather, tend to exaggerate the temperature extremes as the typical...temperatures can get below zero in Chicago...so in their mind it must stay zero from September to May... and someone will inevitably claim that it can get to freezing in May...yes...there can be an overnight freeze...but again, temps fluctuate...that does not mean ALL days and nights in May are 30 degrees. Personally, the single time in my life I feared for my health was the Austin heatwave of 2011, but I would not claim 90 days of 100+ temps is a typical Austin summer...yet

As far as I am concerned it has the worst weather of any major US cities. July and August are sweltering and humid and a.c. is NOT pervasive.

C'mon...what century do you live in? That's like me stating that one will not find indoor plumbing south of the Mason-Dixson line... If you are referring to the need NOT to have the ac cranking 24/7 there...well, that's totally different.

People die from heat there in the summer

People on this board LOVE to reference this extraordinary event as if it occurs EVERY summer in Chicago...1995 Chicago heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. And again, the equivalent would be me stating that 90 days of 100 degree heat, drought, wildfires, brush fires, and homes burning to the ground (pointing to the summer/drought of 2011) is typical of an Austin sumnmer

With that being said....Chicago is definitely NOT for everybody. My upside for winter was a white Christmas (sorry...I still don't feel the holiday spirit when it's 80 outside); an excuse for staying in; and a big upside: having a respite from outdoor/yard work! IMO...if Chicago is too cold for you...Austin will be too hot...Portland will be just right.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:02 PM

84 posts, read 225,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
We will have to agree to disagree when it comes to things to do. I didn't say Austin doesn't have a lot of things to do recreationally, I said Portland and Denver have more. (Aside from theme parks -- theme parks, yes, TX wins —we love our Sea World Fun Card!)

As I pointed out, it is subjective based purely on what you are used to. I will also caveat this by saying I grew up in both northern and southern CA near some of the most scenic places in this country.

It has been one of our biggest surprises upon moving here, especially since we had expectations based on specific raves: 'there is so much to do and see'. There's hill country which is pretty but simply roads through some hills with a smattering of interesting and not-so-interesting towns. There's a few not-all-that scenic and some really sad-looking lakes when compared to lakes in other states. It IS nice that they are warm, but they are not as scenic as TN or GA where I've spent a lot of time on lakes.There's Houston, Dallas and San Antonio -- those are clearly subjective. There's the gulf, which is -- the gulf… it leaves a lot to be desired with the exception of SPI.

And then there's hundreds and hundreds of miles of not much at all. Maybe we'll get to Big Bend or Marfa, we hear good things.

CO offers a top tourist destination national park (and then 3 others including Sand Dunes), 53 fourteeners offering hiking and climbing and exploring around them year round, a dozen ski and snow towns that are famous for being some of the most beautiful places in the world to hike, bike, explore, relax (let alone ski), another 15 ski resorts not associated with specific towns. The Rockies translate to amazing views, at treeline and in and around the Front Range cities and in your backyard. Natural hot springs, caverns and river rafting, endless protected but usable open space IN town, in new and old neighborhoods -- all over town. Hundreds of alpine lakes offering some of the best camping and hiking anywhere, all scenic and calendar-worthy. And, if you want to go a little farther, of course, there's the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Santa Fe, Taos, Moab, Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Valley. And then there's 'in town'. Again this is subjective. The Greenbelt, Lady Bird Lake, Zilker, Barton Springs, Bull Creek, other swimming holes, a mostly private-access lake, another bigger lake that's ok but not really of use unless you have a boat. All lovely, we enjoy spending time in these places ,but there's no comparison to the sheer number of similar recreational things in town, (even just hiking options alone) in a place like Denver.

We do look for things to do and take an active approach to it so perhaps that is what has helped reveal how this subject is truly subjective based on where you've spent a lot of time and what that place has to offer in both quantity and quality of recreational activities. It also can put things in perspective as far as what one takes for granted. At the end of the day, I like Austin and it is our home for now. But I also really like how Texans who have been here a while and/or grew up here, love and respect TX deeply and it's simply their favorite place so there's no other place they'd rather be, it's the best for them, regardless of what newcomers think — that's something I can respect and admire.
I agree with Idlwile.

I lived in Northern CA all my life until recently moving here a couple years back.

For everyday life, I prefer Austin (people, cost of living, pace of life, pleasant surroundings, etc.). As far as vacations and recreational activities, however, it doesn't compare to CA or probably CO. There is just way more to do and see in those states. You get more out of your recreation time there.

Those states are home to some of the most beautiful scenery and cities in the entire nation. You can not compare them to Texas. Not saying Texas doesn't have some beautifual areas, it certainly does, you just can't put them on the same level.

Its like comparing Enchanted Rock to El Capitan or Half Dome at Yosemite. Or Camping in Hill Country vs. the CA Redwoods or Sequoia National Park. Not really fair comparisons if you ask me.

However, Austin still is a great place to live and play and is definitely the Gem of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin