Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,922 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am moving to austin by mid january for work but I have never been to the city or know anyone there. I work in advertising, moving by myself and im 26. I live currently live in miami. I like to be close to eveything maybe downtown? I dont know where to start looking! Help!! What would be a good area to move in? Does anyone have an amazing realtor that can help me find the perfect apartment? I will not be able to go before i move soi need someone i can trust to be my eyes and have my best interest.

Thanks a lot and looking forward to a new life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclaca View Post
I am moving to austin by mid january for work but I have never been to the city or know anyone there. I work in advertising, moving by myself and im 26. I live currently live in miami. I like to be close to eveything maybe downtown? I dont know where to start looking! Help
The absolute best thing you can do is to follow the suggestion when you registered and use the Search function to dig into wealth of information in the archives here. All the general questions have been asked many times before, so spending some time on basic homework will get you to a place where you can ask focused questions about your specific situation and preferences.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Where will you be working and what is your budget?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
We need more urbanites! You'll find central Austin is pretty exciting and getting better all the time

Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!

I am moving to austin by mid january for work but I have never been to the city or know anyone there. I work in advertising, moving by myself and im 26. I live currently live in miami. I like to be close to eveything maybe downtown? I dont know where to start looking! Help!! What would be a good area to move in? Does anyone have an amazing realtor that can help me find the perfect apartment? I will not be able to go before i move soi need someone i can trust to be my eyes and have my best interest.

Thanks a lot and looking forward to a new life!
What's your price range, what are you looking for in an apartment, and what constitutes "everything" for you? The answers to those questions will help us be more helpful to you.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,922 times
Im not sure what my budget is because I think miami is much more expensive, how much would be an apt on an area with lots of restaurants, shops, bars, close to everything, hopefully a 1/1 no carpet, with all appliances including washer and dryer in-unit? I have a dog is a cocker spaniel... I was thinking around $1000- $1200? Is that too much? I am young and single so i want to be where the nightlife is but a safe place too.

Thank you!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Draw a box bordered by Oltorf, Mopac, MLK and I-35 (maybe even stretch a bit east of 35 if you want the hipster/artsy scene. 1000-1200 will give you options, but certainly won't be "too much".

Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Draw a box bordered by Oltorf, Mopac, MLK and I-35 (maybe even stretch a bit east of 35 if you want the hipster/artsy scene. 1000-1200 will give you options, but certainly won't be "too much".
Right, just out of curiosity, I checked out the 1 bedroom prices for AMLI Downtown and Gables West Avenue downtown apartments as those are a couple of the places that look really nice when driving by/walking around down there and those run between $1400 to $1800 per month for 1 bedrooms.

I'm sure that you can find a nice place in your price range, but it might not be right in downtown. There are other areas near downtown that should fit your price range nicely if you don't want to pay more.

http://gables.com/find/apartment/361...enue-austin-tx

http://www.amli.com/apartments/austi...loorplans.aspx

The Triangle is still fairly close to downtown and would fit what you're looking for as well.

http://www.triangleaustin.com/lofts/...loor-plans.asp

Old 12-19-2012, 08:04 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Im not sure what my budget is because I think miami is much more expensive, how much would be an apt on an area with lots of restaurants, shops, bars, close to everything, hopefully a 1/1 no carpet, with all appliances including washer and dryer in-unit? I have a dog is a cocker spaniel... I was thinking around $1000- $1200? Is that too much? I am young and single so i want to be where the nightlife is but a safe place too.

Thank you!
too much? not in this town.

You can probably find something for that - but it won't be right downtown or in a brand new building. Look for older central units that were well built buy have filtered down.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:08 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
1000-1200 is plenty if you are willing to get a roommate and live in a 2br.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: