Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,436 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this forum and am interested in hearing your opinions. I've read a few of the posts about moving to Austin but I'd like to ask some other questions.

I am a 25 year old single female and looking to move to Austin in August of 2014 (that's when I graduate). I will be a Physician Assistant and am wondering where everyone thinks is the best place to live as a single, educated woman! I like a social life (obviously) and am interested in playing in soccer leagues. I enjoy country music and cold beer! I am very open to any ideas and/or advice! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 07:20 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,394,448 times
2014? Everything will be different by then.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:33 PM

Well I was looking for a general idea, which areas of town are what. Not specific names of apartment complexes. I realize it's a ways off, but just some very general opinions, thanks!

Old 12-25-2012, 07:40 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,394,448 times
With how fast Austin has been changing, I wasn't joking.

Right now, same advice as always. Find out where you're working first, then plan your commute.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:28 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,082,048 times
Yes, we can't give you good advice without knowing where you will be working. Central Austin won't work if you find a job in Round Rock. Try to live as close to work as practical. There are some humorous neighborhood guides to Austin out there that you can read if you like, try google. But as already stated, things change and who knows what this town will be like in 2014.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,006,422 times
Things don't change that fast, other then the F1 race track and the Texas 45/130 Toll Road that were built in the last couple of years I can't think of much else that has been a significant change since 2010. There will probably be more apartments to choose from in 2014 as quite a few new complexes started construction in the last year or so.

Our poor transportation system and poor mass transit system probably will not have improved much by 2014, so the advice to live close to where you work is a good one. Our bad traffic is mostly during rush hour so you can get across town without to much difficulty the rest of the time. There are good neighborhoods to live in on both North and South sides of town, so you will have multiple places to choose from regardless of where you end up working.

I found a couple of pretty good neighborhood guides here:

Move to Austin TX - Neighborhoods

Austin Neighborhoods | Small Planet Guide

Violent crime rate is very low in Austin, but there are a few areas its best to avoid. You can read about this more here. //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...me-austin.html

Here is some more general information that may be useful. //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...d-know-if.html

Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,970 times
Depending on your budget, there are several areas that could work for you. South Austin is hip (78704), East Austin is getting hipper and North Austin (Domain/Arboretum) is great for young professionals as well. There is nightlife just about wherever you go.

Frankly, traffic isn't as bad as many would have you think - it's no NYC or DC gridlock. There are so many ways to get where you are going if you know the tricks! Mopac (1) could be bogged down to a 3 mph crawl, while you could jump on Lamar and be going 40 all the way through town.

Moderator cut: advertising/soliciting is not permitted - see DM

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-26-2012 at 10:50 PM..

Old 12-26-2012, 10:34 PM

Thank you very much! I appreciate your input!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 PM

48 posts, read 70,011 times
austin is looking nice for potential retirement community. any advice on suburbs close by austin for retirees to live, walk friendly preferred near hospitals and ammenities...
no children, have pets.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,754,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyRowton View Post
Frankly, traffic isn't as bad as many would have you think - it's no NYC or DC gridlock. There are so many ways to get where you are going if you know the tricks! Mopac (1) could be bogged down to a 3 mph crawl, while you could jump on Lamar and be going 40 all the way through town.
]

Frankly you're dead wrong. Traffic In Austin is terrible and regularly listed on worst commutes in the nation comparable to metros much much larger than Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin