U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 03:34 PM

73 posts, read 228,129 times

Advertisements

All right, I would like to donate our still running car to a charity.

Simply googled and tens of car donation programs out there. But according to cardonationwizard.com, "Several published reports have clearly established that most car donation programs return between 15 and 35% of the gross back to the charity, but they report it as 50 to 70% of the net. ". Then I realized although there are tons of car donation agencies in the nation, people need to be cautious and make sure most of the proceeds from his/her donation can go to the good hands of the charity. So here I am asking your recommendations of the car donation program.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 10:49 AM

16,791 posts, read 46,531,747 times
The Season for Caring program drive sponsored in the Austin-American Statesman newspaper identified several needy families that were in need of a decent automobile. They can probably find a family that needs one. Statesman.com Community | Season For Caring All donations are tax deductible. The charities that the Statesman works with through this program have other families in need in addition to the 12 that were specifically highlighted in the newspaper. By giving in this way you can be sure that someone who actually needs the car gets it.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,165,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorInCA View Post
All right, I would like to donate our still running car to a charity.

Simply googled and tens of car donation programs out there. But according to cardonationwizard.com, "Several published reports have clearly established that most car donation programs return between 15 and 35% of the gross back to the charity, but they report it as 50 to 70% of the net. ". Then I realized although there are tons of car donation agencies in the nation, people need to be cautious and make sure most of the proceeds from his/her donation can go to the good hands of the charity. So here I am asking your recommendations of the car donation program.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!
Be better off selling the car privately, keep half the money, give the other half to a worthy charity.

Don

Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 AM

4,711 posts, read 6,625,165 times
You just need to do your research. I can't tell you of a place in Austin, because I haven't done this here. But before I left CA I wanted to donate a car. I found one place (the St. Vincent's Soup Kitchen) that used donated cars for auto repair training, then sold the repaired cars, and all the proceeds went to the Soup Kitchen. No profit takers or middle men. A few months later, I got a receipt for a $2500 donation, which is what they sold the car for. So 100% went to the charity. I just looked up used car donation on Google and then read about all those that came up until I found a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin