Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM

6 posts, read 10,007 times

Advertisements

The company I work for is relocating to San Marcos, Texas next month and we will be moving to Texas at the end of February. I can't find too much on here about Kyle or San Marcos so please help answer a few questions. It is going to be my wife, my 4 1/2 year old daughter and me moving and we are relocating from Las Vegas, Nevada. Based on all of my research so far it seems like Kyle is the area we would be looking to live in.

Are the schools in Kyle good? I haven't found anything negative about them like I have about San Marcos. My daughter will be starting Kindergarten next year.

Is there a lot of traffic between Kyle and San Marcos in the morning?

Are there areas of Kyle we should avoid looking to live in?

We are looking to buy a house but we also think we might lease something short term first....If we end up having to lease an apartment can anyone offer any recommendations on good areas or complexes that offer short term leases?

Can anyone offer any preschool recommendations in Kyle or San Marcos, my daughter will need daycare until she starts school in September?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Might be best to do a search. Here's one thread on the subject from a few months ago...
//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...kyle-buda.html

There is plenty of traffic all along IH35 virtually any time of day. You may get some info about 'hot spots', but I've never been on it when it wasn't busy with truck traffic as well as passenger vehicles.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
The schools in Kyle are fairly decent. Not the best, not the worst.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish03 View Post
The company I work for is relocating to San Marcos, Texas next month and we will be moving to Texas at the end of February. I can't find too much on here about Kyle or San Marcos so please help answer a few questions. It is going to be my wife, my 4 1/2 year old daughter and me moving and we are relocating from Las Vegas, Nevada. Based on all of my research so far it seems like Kyle is the area we would be looking to live in.

Are the schools in Kyle good? I haven't found anything negative about them like I have about San Marcos. My daughter will be starting Kindergarten next year.

We are looking to buy a house but we also think we might lease something short term first....If we end up having to lease an apartment can anyone offer any recommendations on good areas or complexes that offer short term leases?

Can anyone offer any preschool recommendations in Kyle or San Marcos, my daughter will need daycare until she starts school in September?

If your company will be moving to San Marcos, why move to Kyle?

San Marcos is a very nice town with a large University. It (still) has a lot of charm, in my mind. Then there is Wimberley which is a small village about 15-20 miles from San Marcos, in the (famed) Hill country.

There are small towns on both sides of I-35 all along the I-35 corridor, both N and S.

I would visit as soon as I can and make up my mind.

In my humble opinion, Kyle is slowly being turned into a cookie-cutter collection of replicated (ugly) neighborhoods (or should I say, it has already been turned into...?). If you are looking for that, it might be a fit for you. It is also busy, busy, busy (proximity to Austin and being off a major interstate).

As for the drive from Kyle to San Marcos, you will have no issues. The nasty traffic starts about exit 227 going north towards Austin, you will be well south of all that mess.

Then there are the "back" roads in between the two (farm roads or ranch roads as they are called around here).

OD

Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:

All of them.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Quote:

Traffic between Kyle and SM is reverse commute, so it's pretty light. The random wreck will slow it down, but that'll be fairly rare.

I'd second the rec to take a look at Wimberly if you want more of a "country" feel - Kyle itself is pretty sterile, but hardly "busy" if you're comparing to Vegas. I wouldn't rule out San Marcos at all - it's a pretty neat little college town.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
All of them.
I wouldn't say that exactly but then again I don't see any upside to living on the east side of Kyle besides price/sq. foot.

On the west side there is Plum Creek which has a great assortment of housing.

Still I would say do an exhaustive search of San Marcos first. Yes most neighborhoods have lots of students, but I'd imagine that the faculty at TSU live in some pretty nice areas in SM.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I wouldn't say that exactly but then again I don't see any upside to living on the east side of Kyle besides price/sq. foot.

On the west side there is Plum Creek which has a great assortment of housing.

Still I would say do an exhaustive search of San Marcos first. Yes most neighborhoods have lots of students, but I'd imagine that the faculty at TSU live in some pretty nice areas in SM.
San Marcos at least is a pleasant little town, nicely situated between Austin and San Antonio. Kyle is a pretty awful exurb where people trade lives for square footage.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM

737 posts, read 1,582,885 times
Having went to college in San Marcos and I drive there once a year or so to go down memory lane, I would NEVER live there and NEVER raise my child there. It's dirty and rather unattractive in the main part of town.
I would look into Kyle, or see what other areas in between Kyle and Austin look attractive. You could look into New Braunfels, which is the other way- closer to San Antonio. OR you could look closer into San Antonio- Shertz area, etc. Schools are better there- NEISD and NISD or even Comal ISD.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Having went to college in San Marcos and I drive there once a year or so to go down memory lane, I would NEVER live there and NEVER raise my child there. It's dirty and rather unattractive in the main part of town.
I would look into Kyle, or see what other areas in between Kyle and Austin look attractive. You could look into New Braunfels, which is the other way- closer to San Antonio. OR you could look closer into San Antonio- Shertz area, etc. Schools are better there- NEISD and NISD or even Comal ISD.
I am in San Marcos regularly and live nearby. It is NOT dirty and it is a rather nice place with plenty of things to do.
OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin