Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM

326 posts, read 681,926 times

Advertisements

My husband, 3 kids, and I are looking to relocate from MD (30 minutes outside of DC), to TX. We were looking at the Boerne area due to having family spread from Universal City to Castle Hills and thought it seemed nice. However, than someone mentioned that we should check into Round Rock. Any thoughts on this?

I've read the thread entitled Boerne vs Round Rock and found it informative. However, I was looking for more feedback in terms of family life, activities, things like that. Not necessarily a comparison of the areas but rather general information on Round Rock.

My oldest is 8 and attends a local private school and the younger two aren't in school yet. Schools obviously would be important but I'm a firm believer in test scores aren't the end all be all...Looking more for an "overall" good school. Hoping to NOT land in a, "keeping up with the Jones'" area as that's what we're moving away from. We're an upper middle class, young family, but enjoy just "every day" life. My oldest is active in soccer, basketball, and flag football. I know tack is a big deal in TX but, is there a life for Flag? lol

Anyway, any information, personal opinion, or the like- would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
Round Rock is great for families and flag football is big (and competitive) here especially with parents like myself that don't want their kids to play tackle football at a young age. Cedar Park should probably be considered as it borders Round Rock. Take a look at neighborhoods like Ranch at Brushy Creek, Forest Creek, Avery Ranch (actually in North Austin) as a start if you're looking to stay under $300K. Any work commute should be considered when choosing a neighborhood as traffic in the Austin area can be heavy during rush hour as you've probably already researched.

Neighborhood Sports youth sports league located in Austin Texas

Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 AM

Perfect, thank you! That's the type of info I was hoping for. Can you speak to parent involvement in local schools? Where we are now seems to be more like, "We pay to attend, don't ask for help." While that's lovely, I disagree. So I was just curious as to how the climate is there.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,400 times
We lived in Round Rock from 1996 to 2004, now we live in Georgetown. Parent involvement in Round Rock differs depending on which school your child attends. Round Rock now has the whole "rich school verses poor school". I think I speak from experience as a former PTA leader there. We left Round Rock for Georgetown for the schools. Really have enjoyed the great family values the community embraces.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,770 times
I love Round Rock here, and think that it is a great area. However, it is not in any way unique like Boerne is. Round Rock is just a continuation of Austin sprawl, it is a well to do suburb with some very nice homes, nice quirky spots and cool things to do. It is nice to be so convenient to almost anything you want - short drive to enjoy either the hill country or downtown Austin, plus the plenty of things right here to do. I like it so much because of that versatility.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 AM

I'm not familiar with Georgetown...I'll have to look into it.

Thanks texantodd! I appreciate your input. I've heard that a lot though- the comment about Boerne being unique. Does unique also translate into clique'ish? I've heard differing views on this.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp5 View Post
I'm not familiar with Georgetown...I'll have to look into it.

Thanks texantodd! I appreciate your input. I've heard that a lot though- the comment about Boerne being unique. Does unique also translate into clique'ish? I've heard differing views on this.

Thanks!
I don't know about "clique'ish", but it is a small town. Boerne is a small town of just over 10,000 people, Round Rock is 100,000 people and part of an urban sprawl of like 1.8 million. Boerne has a unique small town flavor, is a beautiful spot, with cool, quirky things to do. If you want a night out on town you drive into San Antonio though pretty much.

Round Rock doesn't have a unique character or flavor really. I mean I think it's great here, I love it. But although it is a very attractive, well placed, versatile suburb, to me it really is just another suburb. Boerne has a unique, quaint character all of it's own.

I'm not trying to sell you on one vs the other. There are plusses and minuses to each.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:05 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp5 View Post
My husband, 3 kids, and I are looking to relocate from MD (30 minutes outside of DC), to TX. We were looking at the Boerne area due to having family spread from Universal City to Castle Hills and thought it seemed nice. However, than someone mentioned that we should check into Round Rock. Any thoughts on this?

I've read the thread entitled Boerne vs Round Rock and found it informative. However, I was looking for more feedback in terms of family life, activities, things like that. Not necessarily a comparison of the areas but rather general information on Round Rock.

My oldest is 8 and attends a local private school and the younger two aren't in school yet. Schools obviously would be important but I'm a firm believer in test scores aren't the end all be all...Looking more for an "overall" good school. Hoping to NOT land in a, "keeping up with the Jones'" area as that's what we're moving away from. We're an upper middle class, young family, but enjoy just "every day" life. My oldest is active in soccer, basketball, and flag football. I know tack is a big deal in TX but, is there a life for Flag? lol

Anyway, any information, personal opinion, or the like- would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

- Where will you be working?

- How much will you be paying for a house? (factor in 2.5% for property taxes)

Agree with Todd, that Boerne is more of a "town" than RR (which is more of a burb). If it was me (given your SA connection)....if i wanted to see my relatives every 6 days, I'd vote Boerne. If i wanted to see them every 6 weeks, I'd vote RR or G'town.

But how much do you want to spend, & where will your work be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin