Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
We went to the Texican Cafe a couple of times, but really thought it was poor quality.
We went ONCE shortly after we moved back here and it was TERRIBLE. We couldn't understand how someplace like that could stay in business here when there is so much competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
We went to the Texican Cafe a couple of times, but really thought it was poor quality. I haven't been to Azul Tequilla. Although not everything we have had at Maudie's is great, they have good carnitas. We went to Flores in Lakeway when we lived there, and could find nothing much good about it, so we haven't even tried the one on Wm Cannon. We went to Hecho en Mexico once, but it was very expensive, so we haven't been back. I understand that it is good, however. We like Abuelo's, as mentioned before. Chuy's is good. But all this is extremely subjective. It is so much a matter of taste, that it is really hard to give recommendations. My suggestion is to try some of these places to see what you like. If you are asking because you want to take a guest, I would say that Chuy's, Maudie's and Abuelo's have the nicest decor of the ones I have tried.
Have you tried Santa Rita near Circle C? It is pretty good and has a nice decor, equal to Chuy's or Maudies, but not up to Abuelo's level.

We ate at Abuelo's once, the decor is upscale. As I recall they had valet parking, which I did not feel I needed on a week day. The food was good other then it seemed expensive for mexican food, probably to pay for the nice decor and great service.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I tend to consistently go to Azul Tequila when in that part of town. Not exactly Southwest, but close.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,885 times
We ended up on SoCo at Guero's. blah! they cannot even get salsa right. Thanks guys!

Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
We ended up on SoCo at Guero's. blah! they cannot even get salsa right. Thanks guys!
Gueros is incredibly overpriced and over-hyped. We've given it three shots and have not been impressed.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Have you tried Santa Rita near Circle C? It is pretty good and has a nice decor, equal to Chuy's or Maudies, but not up to Abuelo's level.

We ate at Abuelo's once, the decor is upscale. As I recall they had valet parking, which I did not feel I needed on a week day. The food was good other then it seemed expensive for mexican food, probably to pay for the nice decor and great service.
We used to be in the habit of going to Santa Rita a few Mondays each month because of their 2-for-1 fajitas on Mondays. We haven't done it lately because we have had to cut back on meat consumption. But we should try them with other items. They are so close to us, we should use them more often. As for the expense of Abuelo's, my husband and I usually split an meal, so that cuts down on price.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
We used to be in the habit of going to Santa Rita a few Mondays each month because of their 2-for-1 fajitas on Mondays. We haven't done it lately because we have had to cut back on meat consumption. But we should try them with other items. They are so close to us, we should use them more often. As for the expense of Abuelo's, my husband and I usually split an meal, so that cuts down on price.
I like their Chicken Enchiladas with Suiza's (sour cream) sauce. Gueso and Cindy's Guacamole Salad is good too. I often call for take out and pick it up when we don't feel like cooking.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:22 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Yeah, Gueros is all about the SoCo atmosphere now and not about the food. Although the margaritas are still pretty good.

Salsa is a pretty good indicator to me, too. Although there are many different flavor styles, I like to see:

1) The right consistency (a little watery)
2) A bit of a "bite" (to remind you you're in a Texas, not quite Mexico but things could get a little spicy with no warning)
3) Good balance (it's fine if you want to use cumin, cilantro or garlic, but it shouldn't taste overwhelmingly of any one ingredient)

Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Speaking of salsa, Flores at 290/71 & Wm Cannon has some that is delicious. I agree that the decor leaves something to be desired but overall this is one of the best spots SW.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
We went ONCE shortly after we moved back here and it was TERRIBLE. We couldn't understand how someplace like that could stay in business here when there is so much competition.
I have to agree with you on this. I wondered myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: