Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 PM

10 posts, read 18,467 times

Advertisements

Not sure how this was missed...

Grande Internet is local and considered superior to Time Warner (and by default to AT&T).

Don't get me wrong, I like AT&T's U-Verse as a concept; I've had them before, but internet-wise they are DSL-based and have very low speeds compared to cable.

So for Cable, you have Time Warner and Grande; Grande is cheaper and better. I've heard complaints about customer service and billing issues, but others have had no complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 06:30 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcee View Post

Don't get me wrong, I like AT&T's U-Verse as a concept; I've had them before, but internet-wise they are DSL-based and have very low speeds compared to cable.
So even if I have U-Verse in my area, the last however many feet is for the ISP is ALWAYS DSL, and never fiber to the house? What if I don't have U-Verse TV? Do I ever get non-DSL internet?

Hope that made sense. Love DirecTV and won't ever change, but could always use a speed upgrade from TWC's speeds.

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 PM

686 posts, read 1,767,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qamarfaiz View Post
Hi All,
...Recently, despite continued poor service, TWC jacked up their price...
Would you please elaborate on the actual issues with TWC's service? Speed; throttling; price? If it is the quality of service, do you have some measurements?

Your experience could be quite useful to me (and others). Thanks

Old 05-09-2013, 11:55 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,327 times
I've had Uverse for a few months and they deliver what they promise, also they gave me $150 in gift cards for signing a 1 year agreement with them.

I've never had TWC in Austin, but have had them in New York. They were fine in New York, but here in Austin Uverse is just a better deal price wise.

In New York, i would get TWC cable and 25mB internet. The Internet was rock solid and fast, the cable was pixelated.

Here in Austin I only get 11mB internet, but the TV picture is much better.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:51 PM

46 posts, read 66,671 times
I've used both U-Verse and TWC internet over the years, and never had a serious problem with either one. Right now I'm with TWC because they're cheaper for what I need.

If you ever need to deal with TWC face-to-face at their customer center, however, beware. A few months ago I had to return a leased modem because I had bought my own. It took over ONE HOUR in line just to return the thing and get a receipt.

I've seen 3rd world post offices that were run more efficiently.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUR View Post
Would you please elaborate on the actual issues with TWC's service? Speed; throttling; price? If it is the quality of service, do you have some measurements?

Your experience could be quite useful to me (and others). Thanks
I'll tell you the issues we've had. Our internet goes out randomly and frequently. A lot. Sometimes I am able to reset it without much issue, but it's still a hassle.

For the times I have to actually call them, it's absolutely absurd. I have been on hold for an hour more than once before talking to someone, then being put on hold again, repeat until it eventually gets fixed.

About twice a year, they actually have to come out to the house. Once a couple years ago, the tech was actually really cool and honest. He told me that at the time the cables were laid out here (Steiner), no one anticipated that the area would grow this much. And the internet wasn't even widely used yet, so no one considered that either. As a result, the infrastructure simply can't handle the traffic. He rather honestly told me that TW was not about to invest the money to upgrade any of this, so they keep putting band-aids on the problems. So it will be "fixed" for a while, and then break again, and they we go through it all over.

Because their service has been so horrible, we refuse to use them for TV or phone. The only reason we use them for internet is because my husband's company pays for it and he needs the speed for work. But honestly, despite the fact that it's free, I have still considered using (and paying for) another service. But from what I've heard, they kind of all suck, so it's sort of just a matter of deciding who sucks the least.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelite View Post
If you ever need to deal with TWC face-to-face at their customer center, however, beware. A few months ago I had to return a leased modem because I had bought my own. It took over ONE HOUR in line just to return the thing and get a receipt.

I've seen 3rd world post offices that were run more efficiently.
I think the trick is to catch them at an odd hour. I went once on a late lunch break to swap out a modem and I was able to walk right up to the customer service desk.

Not that I'm defending TW. If I could get Grande, I'd strongly consider switching.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:54 AM

70 posts, read 106,033 times
Every month I spend an hour or two on the phone to some guy in India trying to sort out all the erroneous charges on my Time Warner bill... I just got my new bill yesterday with - as usual - erroneous charges. My bill is supposed to be approx. $180 for TV/phone/internet. This month it's over $300 and totally incomprehensible.... I hate Time Warner. The errors are always for the TV. I don't seem to have problems with phone and internet charges. Is it possible to just have TW for phone and internet and get somebody else for TV - or does it cost too much because it isn't bundled?

Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscradle View Post
Is it possible to just have TW for phone and internet and get somebody else for TV - or does it cost too much because it isn't bundled?
Yes. Exactly what I did in our new house, which I had pre wired for DirecTv. (U-Verse wasn't avail at first). Now, I bought a Ooma box and got rid of the phone bill as well! Thinking about U-Verse or waiting for Google Fiber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin