U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 PM

9,023 posts, read 4,611,423 times

Advertisements

There are two turn lanes that turn left onto a three lane road. When a car is in the left side turn lane they are supposed to turn into the left lane and the car in the right side turn lane is supposed to turn into the center lane.

Are you suggesting that I am to cross from the lane I am in and into the far right lane as I turn? I am 99.9% sure that you are wrong if so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 06:34 PM

499 posts, read 1,163,180 times
@austinnerd: actually I was asking the OP, I wasn't following you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
There are two turn lanes that turn left onto a three lane road. When a car is in the left side turn lane they are supposed to turn into the left lane and the car in the right side turn lane is supposed to turn into the center lane.

Are you suggesting that I am to cross from the lane I am in and into the far right lane as I turn? I am 99.9% sure that you are wrong if so.
Well if you can cite a law that says that, then OK. I actually couldn't find a law either way.

At every intersection I can think of in Austin that has multiple left turn lanes and striping in the intersection to guide them, the outer left turn lane always goes into the outside lane, even in a 2-to-3 situation like this. So when there is no striping like in your case, I would still follow that convention because that's probably what everyone is expecting (hence the honking and fingers )

Last edited by owlman; 01-10-2013 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: clarify: i meant for left turns

Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 PM

13,719 posts, read 27,152,454 times
When that happens to me - I honk like h#ll. That's what horns are for. More people should use them.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 PM

3,061 posts, read 6,128,428 times
The lesson here is to not trust the person who is turning next to you. City developers would be wise to recognize this and make turn lanes extra wide to account for this distrust.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM

3,077 posts, read 5,344,360 times
All I can figure is Austin drivers are not used to turn lanes and turning in general because city developers preferred a two-way middle lane free-for-all to access strips malls and businesses on the majority of city streets -- I have never ever been in a city with so few turn lanes and so many middle lanes. It's downright odd.

'Oh hey, we ran out of room on this road, lets just create a middle lane going both directions, let those polite TX drivers figure it for themselves and call it a day!' Not to mention the congestion this creates on already traffic-burdened thoroughfares.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 PM

16,783 posts, read 43,733,898 times
I have had the same problem often at the intersection between West William Cannon turning West onto Hwy 290/71.

This intersection has one of the highest accident ratings in the City of Austin, I think for exactly this reason.

Unfortunately, too many idiots who are in the left most turn lane don't read the signs and think they are the only lane turning and can go where ever they want. I have gotten to where I expect it to happen and drive accordingly.

Driver beware...

Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 PM

4,714 posts, read 6,090,154 times
I visited the street view of Google maps to look at that intersection. There is absolutely no marking indicating which lanes people should go to when making the left. I agree with the OP that the left-most turner should go to the left-most lane, but even in the street view, it looks like people are turning into the middle lane. This is part of my biggest complaint about Texas roads: not well marked and not well signed. Even though I think the OP is in the right, I would be careful about pressing the point. A lot of people just go where they want to go.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:36 PM

9,023 posts, read 4,611,423 times
I've not found any specific law yet on this subject. Is it illegal to change lanes mid-intersection in Texas? Is the law to stay in the lane you are in when making a left or right turn? Is turning into traffic in the lane next to you considered an unsafe lane change? I'm genuinely curious on these points.

CptnRn, I feel your pain. We're in West Oak Hill, and mi esposo works for the big chip company on the top of the hill. That intersection is the suck!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 PM

499 posts, read 1,163,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I visited the street view of Google maps to look at that intersection. There is absolutely no marking indicating which lanes people should go to when making the left. I agree with the OP that the left-most turner should go to the left-most lane, but even in the street view, it looks like people are turning into the middle lane.
Why should the right-most left turn lane get to go in the middle lane? Seems like you could just as easily argue that the OP is changing lanes, from rightmost (turn lane) to center lane. Maybe nobody gets center lane

Do you know any marked intersection in town where the leftmost left turn lane is forced into the left lane and the rightmost left turn lane can choose center or right? Like I said I can only think of the opposite... when there are two left turn lanes, and markings in the intersection, the right turning lane always goes to the rightmost lane, and the left turning lane can choose. I'll admit it's ambiguous when unmarked if there's no law, I'm just trying to guess what an informal convention would be or what people should expect.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 PM

163 posts, read 348,774 times
In a perfect world, the leftmost turn lane would turn into the leftmost lane, and the outer turn lane into the center lane, so that people can turn right into the right lane at the same time. What a concept.

Also... don't forget that you CAN turn left on a red from a one-way street to another one-way street unless it's posted otherwise. The rule of thumb is... curb-to-curb and you're golden. However... you MUST yield to pedestrians... unless they're jaywalking, then it's you're solemn duty to mow them down :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin