U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:09 PM

326 posts, read 589,909 times

Advertisements

Since it's not marked at that intersection, I would be safe and turn into the outer right lane if I was in the right turning lane. If you're trying to get on MoPac from that intersection, you should really be in the left turning lane anyway (There's a reasons it's more congested.) My advice is to take the left turn lane and wait a little longer to avoid this conflict you seem to be having.

Also, don't you have to change lanes fairly quickly after the turn to get onto MoPac if you're turning from the right turn lane?

On another note, I too wish the city would mark more of these odd turn intersections. William Cannon westbound turning left onto Southwest Parkway doesn't have a stripe either. I always follow the stripes (if there are any) and avoid turning into the center lane.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 PM

8,998 posts, read 4,599,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlman View Post
Do you know any marked intersection in town where the leftmost left turn lane is forced into the left lane and the rightmost left turn lane can choose center or right?
Just about 2 miles from the intersection in question is the Southwest Pkwy/Mopac intersection which is also part of my daily commute. There are two turning lanes there that turn into a two lane road and they are marked with dotted lines to keep the left turn lane in the left lane and the right turn lane in the right lane. All the double turn lanes in the Mopac/290 cluster have dotted lines in fact. I'm confused I suppose as to why it would be any different at a similar intersection just a couple miles away.

Last edited by ATX Wahine; 01-10-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 PM

13,719 posts, read 27,134,985 times
Quote:
Why should the right-most left turn lane get to go in the middle lane? Seems like you could just as easily argue that the OP is changing lanes, from rightmost (turn lane) to center lane. Maybe nobody gets center lane

Do you know any marked intersection in town where the leftmost left turn lane is forced into the left lane and the rightmost left turn lane can choose center or right? Like I said I can only think of the opposite... when there are two left turn lanes, and markings in the intersection, the right turning lane always goes to the rightmost lane, and the left turning lane can choose. I'll admit it's ambiguous when unmarked if there's no law, I'm just trying to guess what an informal convention would be or what people should expect.
Two lanes turning left from Great Hills Trail on to Jollyville road....

Two lands turning right from Bee Caves Rd. to SH71....

Paint on both of these intersections indicate what lanes to follow but not all drivers do.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 PM

8,559 posts, read 14,658,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
In a perfect world, the leftmost turn lane would turn into the leftmost lane, and the outer turn lane into the center lane, so that people can turn right into the right lane at the same time. What a concept.
)
That perfect world wouldn't have big rigs who necessarily need the longer radius and more sweeping arc in order to turn safely. It would be great if all the intersections could be effectively marked; but as others have mentioned, drivers will do what they want to do. I don't see the necessity of encouraging the oncoming right turn folks to roll the red light so they can pull into traffic turning off a >50mph access road or highway.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:46 PM

499 posts, read 1,162,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Two lanes turning left from Great Hills Trail on to Jollyville road....
ok, that's definitely one

I just found a tidbit from the Texas driver's handbook: "Making a Left Turn From a Two-Way Into One-Way Street: If you are turning left onto a one-way street enter the street in the left lane." So there you go. OP is correct by that metric. But still, the drivers handbook is advice and not law, so if two left-turners crash in the center lane it may be a tough fight with insurance about assigning blame. Hopefully someone can turn up something more legally concrete.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 PM

8,559 posts, read 14,658,386 times
Quote:
ok, that's definitely one

I just found a tidbit from the Texas driver's handbook: "Making a Left Turn From a Two-Way Into One-Way Street: If you are turning left onto a one-way street enter the street in the left lane." So there you go. OP is correct by that metric. But still, the drivers handbook is advice and not law, so if two left-turners crash in the center lane it may be a tough fight with insurance about assigning blame. Hopefully someone can turn up something more legally concrete.
The 'two lanes turning into three available lanes' is its own "kettle of worms"(or is that "can o' fish"?). The two lanes turning into TWO available lanes is pretty self-explanatory; but folks can't even seem to get that one right
The very clearly marked turn lanes from 620 eastbound access road to northbound Parmer Ln have absolutely NO effect on the drivers who just simply want to change lanes or cut the corner or whatever the heck it is they are doing .

Old 01-10-2013, 11:57 PM

13,787 posts, read 30,619,227 times
That double left turn lane is relatively new and a few people that do not use it frequently may not have noticed the change. Also, the traffic that is making that left turn basically has three options - enter Mopac continue on the frontage road, or stick to the right and enter BC mall. Some animosi probably arises from cars that take the outer left turn lane into the center lane and then 'force' their way into the line of traffic entering the almost immediate Mopac entry ramp. There really isn't much room and two lanes of traffic is a bit tight entering mopac.

That said, any common sense would indicate that the inside left turn lane really should only be people planning to enter mopac and not for people planning to change lanes to their right.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 AM

4,714 posts, read 6,086,341 times
Quote:
Why should the right-most left turn lane get to go in the middle lane? Seems like you could just as easily argue that the OP is changing lanes, from rightmost (turn lane) to center lane. Maybe nobody gets center lane

Do you know any marked intersection in town where the leftmost left turn lane is forced into the left lane and the rightmost left turn lane can choose center or right? Like I said I can only think of the opposite... when there are two left turn lanes, and markings in the intersection, the right turning lane always goes to the rightmost lane, and the left turning lane can choose. I'll admit it's ambiguous when unmarked if there's no law, I'm just trying to guess what an informal convention would be or what people should expect.
My assumption is that it is safest to cross as few lanes as possible, so the left-most should turn into the left-most to avoid crossing any lanes (other than the oncoming lanes, which should have a red in this case.) But I can't quote the law.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,367 times
Has anyone gotten any concrete information on this? I am curious to know who has the right to take the middle lane if there are no dotted lines to guide.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 09-13-2013, 03:33 PM

16,783 posts, read 43,715,509 times
I have had that happen a lot too, especially at West bound William Cannon turning onto Hwy 71/290. I have gotten where I expect it anymore. There are simply too many morons on the road that don't pay attention to the signs and simply assume there is only one left turn lane where there are actually two. I usually either try to get the jump on them turning if I am first car at the light so they can clearly see me, or hang back a bit and be ready to brake so they can't turn into my car. You can't control the morons on the road, all you can do is try to drive defensively.

Just checked the Texas Drivers Manual on this and I can see what part of the problem is. It indicates when there is only one left turn lane into a road with two lanes going in your direction that it is OK for the driver to turn into either the left turn or the right turn lane. It says on Page 6-6 How to make a Left Turn: "4. Complete the turn to the right of the centerline of the road into which you are turning by entering the lane in which you will interfere the least with other traffic."

and it has a diagram showing arrows indicating you can turn into either the left or right lane. I could find no separate description of what to do when there are two left turn lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin