U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 04:33 PM

8,562 posts, read 14,685,766 times

Advertisements

Virtually every intersection I've noticed is striped to put the rightmost turning lane flowing into the rightmost THRU lane after the turn...I presume this is to allow the wide radius for large trucks, not pinching the turn. The traffic also would not be shunted into left turn only lanes where they exist after the initial left is made. If this sounds like something I've posted before, I've been taking note of such intersections in the past few months.

The one I don't get ...why do people cut the intersection as though NO other vehicles exist? Even when the path is clearly striped/dotted, many folks cross completely into the 'inner' lane as though they are saving gas or wear on their tires. Where the heck do they think the other lane of vehicles is going???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 05:45 PM

16,784 posts, read 43,763,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Virtually every intersection I've noticed is striped to put the rightmost turning lane flowing into the rightmost THRU lane after the turn...I presume this is to allow the wide radius for large trucks, not pinching the turn. The traffic also would not be shunted into left turn only lanes where they exist after the initial left is made. If this sounds like something I've posted before, I've been taking note of such intersections in the past few months.

The one I don't get ...why do people cut the intersection as though NO other vehicles exist? Even when the path is clearly striped/dotted, many folks cross completely into the 'inner' lane as though they are saving gas or wear on their tires. Where the heck do they think the other lane of vehicles is going???
Looking at the William Cannon & HWY 71/290 intersection in google maps satellite view, the striping for those turns is not visible. Stripping for lanes on Hwy 71/290 are visible. So that may be the problem in some cases where the State is not providing those turning radius stripes in locations.

Checking the location identified by the OP, Barton Skyway at Southbound MoPac frontage road. Again there are no turn lane stripping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Two lanes turning left from Great Hills Trail on to Jollyville road....

Two lands turning right from Bee Caves Rd. to SH71....

Paint on both of these intersections indicate what lanes to follow but not all drivers do.
I verified both of those have the turn lane strippings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Just about 2 miles from the intersection in question is the Southwest Pkwy/Mopac intersection which is also part of my daily commute. There are two turning lanes there that turn into a two lane road and they are marked with dotted lines to keep the left turn lane in the left lane and the right turn lane in the right lane. All the double turn lanes in the Mopac/290 cluster have dotted lines in fact. I'm confused I suppose as to why it would be any different at a similar intersection just a couple miles away.
I can NOT see any turn lane strippings in google maps at Southwest Pkwy/Mopac. ??

I wonder why it is so inconsistent? That is clearly part of the problem.

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-13-2013 at 05:55 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Looking at the William Cannon & HWY 71/290 intersection in google maps satellite view, the striping for those turns is not visible. Stripping for lanes on Hwy 71/290 are visible. So that may be the problem in some cases where the State is not providing those turning radius stripes in locations.

Checking the location identified by the OP, Barton Skyway at Southbound MoPac frontage road. Again there are no turn lane strippings.
Even when they are striped initially, the cross traffic as well as folks who can't follow the stripes without driving ON them will wear away the paint right zippy. I reckon the reflectors last a bit longer, but even those disappear quickly.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 PM

16,784 posts, read 43,763,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Even when they are striped initially, the cross traffic as well as folks who can't follow the stripes without driving ON them will wear away the paint right zippy. I reckon the reflectors last a bit longer, but even those disappear quickly.
Take a look at those locations in google maps. There is not even a hint of old faded stripping for the turn lanes, yet the stripes for the other lanes are sharp and clear. I don't think this is a case of only the turning lane stripes being worn off.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Take a look at those locations in google maps. There is not even a hint of old faded stripping for the turn lanes, yet the stripes for the other lanes are sharp and clear. I don't think this is a case of only the turning lane stripes being worn off.
A conspiracy ? Is it to entice people to move to other areas? Something to confound the Cali transplants? Let's start a poll

Old 01-09-2014, 02:24 PM

499 posts, read 1,163,869 times
I went by the original location recently and noticed they striped it such that the rightmost left turn lane is directed into the rightmost frontage road lane. Sorry, OP At least it's unambiguous now.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,876 times
I agree that it's wrong for people in the rightmost left-turn lane to assume they get to turn into the middle lane if they want, as trucks and even cars on the left side sometimes need to turn a little bit wide. Most of these intersections have painted stripes that put cars on the right hand side in the rightmost traffic lane. One intersection that I frequent (Amherst turning left onto Parmer) doesn't have the stripes, but if you look at how narrow the intersection is, it's nigh on impossible to make the turn from the leftmost lane without cutting into the center lane a little bit. I see people on the right turning into the center lane and cutting off the cars on the left all the time. I don't think they're trying to be rude, they just don't understand the mechanics of several differently sized vehicles turning at the same time.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 PM

7,086 posts, read 12,557,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I had a lady in a big ole silver SUV do a similar stunt, I ended up slamming on my brakes to avoid her and was of course rear ended, she continued on his blissfully ignorant way while myself and the driver behind me cursed her driving. Luckily it was relatively low speed and no visible damage to either vehicle so we both declared "no harm no foul" and went on our merry way.

Another similar example is turning from southbound 183 access road onto northbound 360. On the access road, the left lane is turn only and the right lane is turn left or go straight. On 360 though, the first two leftmost lanes are actually turn lanes themselves and the right two lanes are the through lanes. So, if your in the left lane on 183, you actually turn onto the 3rd lane from the left (the leftmost through lane) and the right lanes turns onto the rightmost lane (the 4th lane from the left). One will pretty frequently see folks in the right turn lane cut over into lane 3. Luckily this is more of an inconvenience as there is plenty of room, but annoying none the less.
this intersection used to have dotted lines indicating where you had to go. It turns out the far left lane used to be pinned in and forced to turn onto northbound 183. The middle lane had a choice of lanes 3 and 4. I looked at google streetmaps and it doesnt seem like those dotted lines are there anymore.

Do you have data which describes what you are saying as being correct? I though both left turn lanes had the chance to turn onto the north 183 frontage. The left turn lane is forced to take the left most turn lane.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:32 AM

3,788 posts, read 6,136,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Tonight it was a middle-aged woman in a black Lexus. She honked several times, flipped me off, tailgated me onto Mopac, stayed on my rear bumper for about 2 miles, pulled next to me the first chance she got, and flipped me off again. WTF is wrong with people? That response would be inappropriate even if I WAS in error. Are people just losing their minds, or what?

In that case I think she has temporarily lost her mind. What are the options when someone is terrorizing you while you're driving?

Your first post made me laugh because when we moved here I had a hard time with those wide turns...especially when they are not marked correctly or not marked at all! We didn't have them where we lived before and I'm sorry but I bet I made a lot of people mad by not staying in my lane. Honestly, I would have...had I see any sign of a lane!

I kept thinking wtf is going on here as I was making the wide turn. Almost like wheeeee...where is this going to wind up???

Fortunately I'm getting better at driving in Texas but when I go to Austin I generally find I'm getting honked at frequently. Part of it is I'm going slower because I'm not sure of the turn lane, the street, or the direction it's going. I'm not going too slow but I guess too slow for the maniac drivers who pass on the right where there isn't a lane at all. And, no I don't get in the far left lane of the expressway and go slow.

I hope your driving experiences change for the better.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:11 PM

75,574 posts, read 39,019,693 times
Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs...
No one pays attention to the signs.

It is really hairy, when someone turns a 2 turn lanes into a 3rd.
I have seen that happen 5 times in the last month.(before Christmas)

Last edited by BentBow; 01-12-2014 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin