U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM

232 posts, read 139,840 times

Advertisements

Within the past month, cars at my daughter's day care have been broken into twice. Each time, the thieves waited until the parent (in these instances the mother) took their child inside and then broke the window of the car and snatched the purse that was left on the seat. The first time it happened, the mother actually saw it occur as she was returning to her vehicle, but was not able to stop the thief in time, as he ran away on foot. The second time, video surveillance saw a car parked in the lot which waited until a mother took her child in. The driver jumped out, broke the window and snatched her purse, and sped away.

We were told by the administrator that this has become a very common occurrence in Austin lately. The thieves take advantage of distracted parents struggling to get their kids to school, particularly women who tend to leave their purses in the car. It was very surprising to me that the thieves would be so brazen about it, since there is such a rush of activity with so many parents constantly coming and going during morning dropoffs, but there you go.

I won't say the name of our day care, but it is near the downtown area. Please be careful and aware of your surroundings, and do not leave your purse in plain sight in your car.

Has anybody else experienced or heard of this?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 PM

13,880 posts, read 30,736,411 times
Had a somewhat similar trend a year or two ago in SW Austin, but I don't think any windows were broken - the parents were leaving the car doors unlocked, apparently, and the thieves would simply grab what they could in a few seconds. I don't know if the culprit was caught or simply went away as soon as everyone started locking their doors. In any case, it was just two or three instances, I think. Very brazen, especially if they had any idea who one or two of the parents were.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,368,132 times
I have thought about this very thing at pre-school drop-off/pick-up, wondering if it ever happens.

What part of Austin was this in?

Old 01-12-2013, 08:57 AM

6,756 posts, read 7,725,480 times
This past Wednesday, there were two cars broken into at the preschool where I work. Same thing - mom left the car to drop the kids off at class. It has happened before, but this is the first time this year. I work at a preschool in Westlake.

What boggles my mind is that I still see moms leave their younger kids in the car and/or the car running while they leave to drop off their preschoolers. Happens all the time, despite our school's repeated reminders to not do it.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 PM

1,773 posts, read 3,332,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
This past Wednesday, there were two cars broken into at the preschool where I work. Same thing - mom left the car to drop the kids off at class. It has happened before, but this is the first time this year. I work at a preschool in Westlake.

What boggles my mind is that I still see moms leave their younger kids in the car and/or the car running while they leave to drop off their preschoolers. Happens all the time, despite our school's repeated reminders to not do it.
This is a tragedy waiting to happen. Parents, I know it's a hassle, but such is life when you're raising children. Been there and done that three times. Just don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin