Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,299,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think it's (the topography and geography) beautiful, too, Austinite101. I just don't think, based on my personal experience, that they are alike. Especially don't think the "vibe" is the same, and there's nothing wrong with that. Every place doesn't need to be just like every other place, and the fact that they ARE different is part of what makes life interesting.
I actually wasn't referring to you. I think you've seen the type I am referring to on CD before lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 PM

7,982 posts, read 10,319,085 times
I honestly don't see it. I think Austin is much more akin to the rest of Texas than it is to California when it comes to attitude. And I really don't think the topography is similar either. For one thing, California has trees - like real trees that are taller than houses, not the cedar shrubs that dominate the landscape here. And we're also missing that little thing called an ocean.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,257,915 times
Jerry Jeff Walker famously described Austin as the "Easternmost city in California."

That was at least 25 years ago, and it's still true.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:48 AM

164 posts, read 308,524 times
I have always thought Austin seemed like it should have an ocean front beach nearby. Driving thru the UT campus, it "feels" like a beach is just right around the corner. I think all the young college age kids in the area between Georgetown and San Marcos helps to give Austin it's beach party vibe. An ocean front beach is about the only thing Austin is missing.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:58 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,120,855 times
No. Nonononono. I really like Austin, but it's just not. I think superficially one might be fooled, but you dig a little deeper and you realize it's close but no joint. As my native California boyfriend reminds me, you're only as good as your coast in California. People don't move to California for the valley. It's pretty much the same with Seattle. Inland is very different than the coast, in just about every imaginable way. Portland and San Francisco don't "lean left" as someone said here -- they DEFINE the left in this country. And Californians know what an ocean smells like. Austin is Austin and California is California. We can be happy with what we've got. And nowhere in Texas has this...

Last edited by theSUBlime; 01-19-2013 at 06:41 AM..

Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,730,295 times
The dream of the 90s is alive in Austin.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:19 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,148,114 times
Well, the western landscape of Austin does sort of resemble parts of California minus the mountains & ocean. People that I have talked to from California have said the same thing.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,638,912 times
I agree that the vibe is different from the rest of the start, and much more W coast. I'm from Dallas and do feel a difference... hence, why I'm here and not there

Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,969,490 times
The small stretch of Barton Springs Rd. between S. Lamar and Zilker Park reminds me of California

Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,004,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
The whole vibe of the city feels more like Portland and San Francisco than other Texan cities. I was quite surprised when I first went to 6th street. It felt kind of like Venice Beach in my area with the carefree Live and Let Live attitude not found in most of Texas.

What caused Austin to have such a West Coast type culture in the middle of Texas?
I don't know that I'd exactly call it a "west coast culture" but you can find what you describe in parts of central Dallas and especially Houston as well. So you are mistaken (and I know it's a common misconception) that it doesn't exist elsewhere in the state, However, Austin has UT which may give a "Berkeley" type vibe for some near the campus area, which may also be what you noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I honestly don't see it. I think Austin is much more akin to the rest of Texas than it is to California when it comes to attitude. And I really don't think the topography is similar either. For one thing, California has trees - like real trees that are taller than houses, not the cedar shrubs that dominate the landscape here. And we're also missing that little thing called an ocean.
There are parts of the state that have the trees taller than homes (mostly pines) but true, not so much in Austin. Yes, not a big fan of our cedar bushes, I mean trees, despite being from the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin