U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 PM

40 posts, read 66,117 times

Advertisements

We bought our place 6 months ago and the backyard was somewhat neglected by previous owner. We want to plant new sod but not sure what "breed" of grass is good for Texas heat and drought. We do have one dog and he loves to run in the yard. The backyard is 30% shaded / 70% under the sun. Appreciate any suggestion!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 02:46 PM

9,191 posts, read 20,478,403 times
Just about any type of bermuda will do. It's difficult to kill, and stands up to repeated drought and wear/tear.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:02 PM

8,884 posts, read 15,387,881 times
Although the initial cost is likely higher, I'd sure look at Buffalo Grass or Zoysia. Heat and drought tolerance should be priorities, IMO.

From my experience, the areas that stay shaded all day might not support the Zoysia; however, it only needs a couple of hours a day to do well.

I'd sure be lookin' at Buffalo if I had to start all over, especially in the back yard.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 PM

97 posts, read 396,539 times
I have Palisades Zoysia in my yard. And I could not be more happy with a grass. I also find despite what I have heard the grass on the shady side of the home and the more shaded back yard does better than the sunny parts of my yard. I picked Palisades because it was a thicker bladed grass keeping it more in line with the grass I am use to looking at. Keep in mind your drought tolerance won't come into play until the grass has been planted a few years. Before that you will need to water the ____ out of it.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 AM

40 posts, read 66,117 times
Thanks for ya'll suggestions! Where could we go to check out different type of grass, with good pricing? We've only been to Home Depot and they aren't very helpful.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,952,448 times
King Ranch Turf Grass on McNeil and 183.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 AM

9,191 posts, read 20,478,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Although the initial cost is likely higher, I'd sure look at Buffalo Grass or Zoysia. Heat and drought tolerance should be priorities, IMO.

From my experience, the areas that stay shaded all day might not support the Zoysia; however, it only needs a couple of hours a day to do well.

I'd sure be lookin' at Buffalo if I had to start all over, especially in the back yard.
I'm considering it myself for my new very tiny backyard. But boy, is it expensive and much more work to get established. Might be worth it for a rectangle that will only be 24' x 60' or so, just enough for the dogs.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM

16,791 posts, read 45,092,683 times
See the City of Austin Grow Green resources here for the "Lawn Care" brochure. http://austintexas.gov/department/grow-green-resources

Zoysia or Buffalo Grass would be my first choice. Common Bermuda is an inexpensive option as it can be grown from seed, but it is hard to control as it aggressively grows into any other landscape planting beds you might have in your yard for flowers, etc. It is also not very good at crowding out weeds. If you are going to put in Bermuda I'd look into TIF Bermuda or the 419 Bermuda Grass the City used for the Great Lawn in Zilker Park. http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/z...rpet_treatment However I do not believe it is available as seed, it has to be planted as sod.

If you are in Austin, under the current water restrictions, it will very difficult to get a new lawn established especially from seed, when you can not water more then one day per week.

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-20-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,089,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsheehan026 View Post
Keep in mind your drought tolerance won't come into play until the grass has been planted a few years. Before that you will need to water the ____ out of it.
Learned this the hard way; I was able to bring it back, however.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 PM

7,232 posts, read 14,446,848 times
The most heat and drought tolerant grass is no grass!! Do your best to minimize grassy areas. I am getting ready to pull up the sod under my trees in the "nuisance strip" betw the street and side walk and replace it with mulch. Planning on doing a dry creek bed look with large river rocks in the front and side yard along the drainage patterns with a "rain garden" edging it (drought tolerant plants that can also handle getting their roots wet.

I also plan to pull out about half my sprinkler heads -- custom builder went crazy when doing the landscaping and put in too many. I can get $ from the city for each one I pull out and cut off at the valve." Also plan to convert some to drip lines.

Neighbors are doing more and more crushed granite and mulch instead of grass and expanding their beds of landscaping. I would like to get the point where the only thing I water during the summer are plants in the garden that I will eat!! But not there yet. I HATE to spend $ on water. HATE it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin