Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 12:08 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,679 times

Advertisements

Most of the resistance against the ban died off a long while ago after people realized the ban wasn't armageddon. Most of the time I hear Austinites bragging about the ban to be honest. It's going very smoothly now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 01:06 AM

519 posts, read 776,763 times
I wasn't aware of this ordinance, but I'm proud of Austin to hear they're passing it. Most countries in Europe do the same thing.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:57 AM

195 posts, read 283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
I wasn't aware of this ordinance, but I'm proud of Austin to hear they're passing it. Most countries in Europe do the same thing.
Actually in the UK hey don't ban plastic bags, they only charge a small tax. I personally believe this is a better idea because then you can still get plastic bags if you forget your reusable bags.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:04 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
Actually in the UK hey don't ban plastic bags, they only charge a small tax. I personally believe this is a better idea because then you can still get plastic bags if you forget your reusable bags.
They don't ban them here, either - you can pay a small fee (tax, essentially) and get a bag while at the store. I think it is 25 cents at HEB?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
Really an apples to oranges comparison from a lifestyle standpoint - so much so as to be pointless. The difference is that Europeans don't shop the same way Americans do. I lived there and know. They shop much more frequently - more demanding of freshness, have smaller storage spaces - both pantry and refrigerator/freezer, many times shop in connection with a transit ride, etc. The US standard of a weekly trip to a monster store, to load twenty five or more bags into a huge car or SUV isn't unknown, but is definitely not the norm.

Ridiculous comparison from a practicality standpoint.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
I forgot my bag today, I guess I'm not used to it yet. That is OK I just throw it all back in the cart and bag it when I get out to my car.

On the plus side, now I know what to do with all my old newspaper, I wrap kitchen scraps in it to make it easier to carry to the trash can.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:46 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Really an apples to oranges comparison from a lifestyle standpoint - so much so as to be pointless. The difference is that Europeans don't shop the same way Americans do. I lived there and know. They shop much more frequently - more demanding of freshness, have smaller storage spaces - both pantry and refrigerator/freezer, many times shop in connection with a transit ride, etc. The US standard of a weekly trip to a monster store, to load twenty five or more bags into a huge car or SUV isn't unknown, but is definitely not the norm.

Ridiculous comparison from a practicality standpoint.
Not everyone in America makes the monster trip to the grocery store. A certain demographic does. It makes sense for families with young children, for example. Or, people who have to travel a good distance to the grocery. But it doesn't for everyone. I don't see shopping on a grand scale like I did 20- 30 years ago, from a range of age groups. Maybe at HEB on a Saturday morning but, there again, it's a certain demographic. I stop by the store on the way home from work and pick up what we need for maybe a couple of days, that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin