Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer
The HEB near me almost never puts meat in a separate bag prior to putting them in a grocery bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The various stores I shop at all have plastic bags available in the meat department to put your purchases in to keep them from leaking in the cart or in the shopping bag. And if you forget to bag your meat, most checkers or baggers will ask if you want the meat put into a plastic bag. And if they forget, you can always ask them to do it.
Yeah, my HEB's have those lightweight plastic bags for fruits, veggies, and meats also. They're hanging on a roller just above the meats. Just like the fruits and veggies, I put my meat selections into those bags before putting into my cart (or basket). I've been using the cloth bags for about four years now and have had to do some repairs just to keep them in working order. I would suggest first... to add a strip of cardboard under the bottom of each bag, to strengthen the bottom. Maybe tape it to the flimsy insert already there.

I've been to the Doc four times since I started using the cloth bags... each for my annual visit. No problems otherwise.

And if you're really desperate for the usual plastic bags, you can probably find them in any alley, having just blown out of the uncovered trash can of some neighbor. They might even be found covering the drain in your neighborhood rain gutter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 08:42 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Who is ready? It starts tomorrow. I've got plenty of $1 bills to pay the fee at HEB to continue plastic bags for one year! Hooray. They said they will be hidden from view, but I guess I will just shrug my shoulders and offer up my $1 for some good old plastic bags! Who is with me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Might be cheaper just to get a box of bags on Amazon and keep the box in your car and bring in with you.
A box of 1000 bags is only $25.
Wow, you guys really know how to stick it to The Man, don't you?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:25 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventeen View Post
My situation is pretty much the same as yours. I'm in the suburbs with the closest stores to me both inside and outside the city limits. Used to be it didn't make a difference which ones I'd go to but now I will only be shopping outside Austin.
Yep, I will do a majority of my retail purchases in Round Rock and Pflugerville (there really is no need to shop in Austin anyway.)

Austin, RR and Pf retailers thank you

Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Oh, no, I like people that will pay the plastic bag fee...it will subsidize my free reusable bags that HEB is giving away .

Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 AM

390 posts, read 670,957 times
I just returned from HEB and can report that no revolution has started in the parking lot over the plastic bag ban. It just seemed like a normal day at my HEB where it has always seemed like a lot of/most people brought there own bags prior to the plastic bag ban.

I just find this thread comical. Using your own bags is much better, imho. I like having less bags to carry in and bags that don't break. The plastic bags have become so flimsy in the last few years that half the time they have a big hole in them by the time I get them into the house. I used to reuse the bags for kitty litter, but haven't been able to do that for a long time because every bag has at least a small hole in it.

If you are worried about meat, double bag it with the plastic "meat bags" and maybe designate one of your reuseable bags for meat only. Some of my reuseable bags are more of a plastic/vinyl material that could easily be washed out.

How did you prevent the meat juice from getting all over your groceries in your cart of plastic bags before? How long would something like ecoli bacteria even live? (FYI...my kids and I are vegetarians and my husband mostly eats vegetarian at home, so we buy very little meat).

Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
I just returned from HEB and can report that no revolution has started in the parking lot over the plastic bag ban. It just seemed like a normal day at my HEB where it has always seemed like a lot of/most people brought there own bags prior to the plastic bag ban.

I just find this thread comical. Using your own bags is much better, imho. I like having less bags to carry in and bags that don't break. The plastic bags have become so flimsy in the last few years that half the time they have a big hole in them by the time I get them into the house. I used to reuse the bags for kitty litter, but haven't been able to do that for a long time because every bag has at least a small hole in it.

If you are worried about meat, double bag it with the plastic "meat bags" and maybe designate one of your reuseable bags for meat only. Some of my reuseable bags are more of a plastic/vinyl material that could easily be washed out.

How did you prevent the meat juice from getting all over your groceries in your cart of plastic bags before? How long would something like ecoli bacteria even live? (FYI...my kids and I are vegetarians and my husband mostly eats vegetarian at home, so we buy very little meat).
Fallout from Seattle’s killer plastic bag ban policy. | RedState

Survey: plastic bag bans tied to increase in shoplifting | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Old 03-01-2013, 11:11 AM

That is kind of a stupid article, or at least not tied to documentation.

Quote:
the E. coli community has never been more prominent in Seattle life and public health advisories.
So is there an actual increase (if so, please show some data) or just an increase in advisories because people are worried about it. It does link to a single incident three years ago.....

Quote:
They’re even more upset over the shoplifting, which has skyrocketed since the ban took place
Show me the percent increase since before or after the ban. Also, I guess a shoplifter is quite able to shoplift in a reusable bag now - there is no reason a law requiring the reusable bags suddenly makes it easier. Sure there are more people using them, but there is nothing stopping a would-be thief doing it now.

Quote:
People keep stealing store’s hand-baskets – because they didn’t bring any bags – to bring their groceries home, then abandon the baskets.
That is easy enough to stop - it isn't like you can see someone walking through the parking lot with a basket. Put a permanent security device on them, just like they do expensive goods, and it will beep as they go through the door.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:57 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Oh, no, I like people that will pay the plastic bag fee...it will subsidize my free reusable bags that HEB is giving away .
HEB should provide the brown paper bags that Target is providing and also CM and Whole Foods. I will continue to purchase the regular plastic until they realize they need to provide the approved brown paper bags. Reusable bags harbor bacteria and are not worth my time.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yep, I will do a majority of my retail purchases in Round Rock and Pflugerville (there really is no need to shop in Austin anyway.)

Austin, RR and Pf retailers thank you
Don't forget Cedar Park too :-)

Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I will continue to purchase the regular plastic until they realize they need to provide the approved brown paper bags.
I did not know they were not going to do paper, but I am a bit confused, though, how paying a dollar for a plastic bag will convince them to get paper? Seems like a cash stream...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin