Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times

Advertisements

Paper or plastic? Pretty soon Austin won't have a choice

If you are in the city limits and have not yet gotten into the groove of bringing your reusable bags with you to the store, I'd start now. Its really not hard at all to do after you get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 AM

29 posts, read 54,032 times
I am just about ready to buy my bags for when the ban kicks in. Planning on buying these
Amazon.com: T-Shirt Carryout Bags - 1000 ct.: Kitchen & Dining

I figure that give my wife and I plenty to get by for a while and leaves me with some extra to hand out to people I see who forgot their bags.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
I've been stock-piling my plastic grocery bags for "just in case". I live in RR, but so far the only bans on the bags I know about out here at the Goodwill stores. Once they are gone - you have to bring your own to their stores.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbs4prez View Post
I am just about ready to buy my bags for when the ban kicks in. Planning on buying these
Amazon.com: T-Shirt Carryout Bags - 1000 ct.: Kitchen & Dining

I figure that give my wife and I plenty to get by for a while and leaves me with some extra to hand out to people I see who forgot their bags.
You mean you're going to buy them to take to the store? Why not just reusable bags for the store, and those for home uses (doggy bag, trash liner, etc.)? It would be a good investment that saves money over time.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 AM

163 posts, read 408,814 times
We just leave a couple fabric bags in the car all the time so they're handy. Most of them were free.
We were worried we'd run out of grocery bags for dog and cat cleanup but we've mostly switched to using the plastic bags you get from the grocery store deli, cereal bags, and stuff like that. Haven't run out yet and usually have to recycle more of them than we can use, like dry cleaning bags and the plastic wrap on stuff from Costco.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
City Council's not going to know what hits them when this goes into effect. A stupid, stupid ordinance.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
City Council's not going to know what hits them when this goes into effect. A stupid, stupid ordinance.
This has been in effect in many other cities for a long time. It hasn't really been a big deal anywhere. People adapt. The sky is not falling.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
Absolutely wrong, OpenD. In SF, for example, you can buy paper bags. This was an ignorant overstep based upon utterly shoddy data. There was absolutely no reason to ban paper bags.

Edit: and it most certainly is not in "many other cities."

Old 01-31-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Absolutely wrong, OpenD. In SF, for example, you can buy paper bags. This was an ignorant overstep based upon utterly shoddy data. There was absolutely no reason to ban paper bags.

Edit: and it most certainly is not in "many other cities."
I most certainly is in effect in many other cities and counties. Nearly a hundred from what I know. Perhaps even more that I'm not aware of. Austin is just one of the larger, more visible cities to do it.

Also, there are plenty of exemptions to the ban that allows for paper bags instead.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
I asked the other day at the Westlake HEB on 360, and they said they are not getting rid of the plastic bags... I kind of figured for a big company like HEB, they would go ahead and make the change at all the area stores regardless of whether they are in the city limits or just across the border (seems like it would be easier). But no.

Off topic, but I'm really beginning to dislike HEB. They used to be so good about service and prices, now it's all over the place. Expired stuff on the shelves. Prices ringing up wrong. And their produce section is being reduced. They stopped carrying any kind of sprouts, company-wide supposedly. Bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, everything. You just can't get it there anymore.

If the Westlake Randalls goes with reusable-only policy, I'll be dropping HEB for good and just shopping at Randalls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin