U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,498 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a couple with two young children (4.5, 2.5) planning to move to AN this summer. Both of us will be working at the Intel facility in Barton Creek. Are there any new construction homes around this place? A good neighborhood with most ameneties available nearby will be awesome given I am not a fan of driving for too long. Our older kid will be starting Kindergarten this year, so the school district is important too. I see Eanes ISD come up a lot of times on these forums, but see the home prices and property taxes too high there. Our budget is 600K and looks like it doesn't get you a nice home in Eanes. LAke Travis ISD seems to be a far commute to work. Can you please recommend any new construction homes closer to Barton creek?

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Last edited by hobbeshere; 01-31-2013 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Meant Austin when I said "AN", sorry!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,155,738 times
I'm still trying to figure out where "AN" is? If you're looking in ATX, then you've found the right forum!

You're going to have to budge on the drive, or on the new construction. There are newish/totally updated homes near there, or you can pick up some commute time and get your new construction - unless there's some infill new construction, or you go the "buy the lot and build your own" route in the Cuernavacaish area.

The majority of the schools that will be within a short commute range there are good, so figure out whqt kind of commute range you want and that might help narrow down your search parameters.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 PM

7,228 posts, read 15,183,374 times
Any new construction in a planned development will be much farther our and take years and years to appreciate, bit a danger at your price range. If you can compromise on new construction, I'd look at Lost Creek, convenient close-in location, quick commute to work, and EISD.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,155,738 times
I just looked at Lost Creek - the only things in the OP's price range were condos! Wow... talk about low inventory.

West Oak Hill might be an option, but traffic getting in/out might be a headache - I'm not super familiar with the drive.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 15,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
I just looked at Lost Creek - the only things in the OP's price range were condos! Wow... talk about low inventory.

West Oak Hill might be an option, but traffic getting in/out might be a headache - I'm not super familiar with the drive.
Well, that could change! January is usually a low point in real estate inventory, it is sure to pick up as spring comes. Depends on their time line.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM

Timeline is sometime in May. I did check the listings around Lost Creek and West lake hills. All I could find was really old fixer uppers or Condos. Looks like 600K isn't enough for that area!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM

4,574 posts, read 6,382,656 times
The kids are attending schools......not districts. There are dozens of good elementary schools to choose from (in over 6 districts). You won't have to worry about MS for 7-8 years.

& your job isn't located in "Barton Creek", it's located at the corner of Barton Skyway & Mopac. (huge difference). You might want to look north & south (or even east) of there.....not just west.

You might know this, but in case others are interested....Property tax on 600K will probably run between 11K - 16K per year (depending on where you buy).

Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 PM

20,963 posts, read 43,089,576 times
Inventory is really low across the area right now. In the Austin MLS as a whole, there's about 3 months worth of inventory at the moment (meaning if nothing new came on the market, that's how long it would take for everything on the market right now to sell). It's definitely a seller's market in the Austin area in general right now.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM

20,963 posts, read 43,089,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
The kids are attending schools......not districts. There are dozens of good elementary schools to choose from (in over 6 districts). You won't have to worry about MS for 7-8 years.

& your job isn't located in "Barton Creek", it's located at the corner of Barton Skyway & Mopac. (huge difference). You might want to look north & south (or even east) of there.....not just west.

You might know this, but in case others are interested....Property tax on 600K will probably run between 11K - 16K per year (depending on where you buy).
Oh, that makes a BIG difference! Though I do know people who've lived in Apache Shores and commuted to that intersection, there are a lot more options available from there.

If you can let go of "new" and go with "updated", there are lots of possibilities.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM

I am sorry I didn't know Barton creek and Barton skyway were that far away!

I am aware of the high property taxes, but also read that it was <2% in Travis county. Is that right?

Also what is the zip code for West oak hills? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin