Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:59 PM

180 posts, read 267,198 times

Advertisements

I'm still considering moving back to TX from CO, mostly because I'm tired of CO: the high prices, the snowy winters, the phony liberal bent, the overgrown cultural miasma of the front range . . . anyway, back to Amarillo is probably not happening. There are other small cities and a few huge ones in TX but I'm not really in the mood for either so it's a question of whether Austin is more like a bigger version of Boulder (without the pc nazis) or just over-hyped boutique sprawl that saw its best chance at being cool pass it by in the late '80s. Which one of these things, I ask myself?

My needs are pretty simple. I want a town where I can find the few select material items I may desire that aren't on Amazon. I want a quiet peaceful life where people aren't constantly pulling public showdowns. I want a good economy wherein I can make a living in creative pursuits rather than as a service-sector wage ape. I want to feel at home someplace instead of constantly on-edge from everyone trying to compete and intimidate everyone else to get ahead. I want the whole enchilada without having to listen to the horrible mariachi music.

Call me crazy. Is Austin still happening? Or did the chamber of commerce just pay off the right media outlets?

Last edited by Chip_Vanilla; 02-10-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,320 times
Default how ia austin?

I was thinking of moving to austin...is it terrible? I have two girls 2&4 years old. I am looking for a city with good schools, good economy, culture (theater, museums..) and clean air what do you think?

Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 PM

I will see your two small girls and raise you an elderly mother. (Perhaps she could babysit?)

Old 02-10-2013, 04:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
20 years in Austin and I wouldn't live anywhere else, but utopia it ain't especially for people who already sound more than prepared to hate it.

Try Nashville, maybe.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 PM

To whom are you referring? I was not at all negative. Maybe the reading skills of Texans are sub-par. And please be specific in any future responses.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip_Vanilla View Post
To whom are you referring? I was not at all negative. Maybe the reading skills of Texans are sub-par. And please be specific in any future responses.
You will not like Austin, you are too hypercritical, judgmental and offensive. Austin is more of a live and let live place. You probably won't be happy here, or anywhere, but Austin certainly won't miss you.

Last edited by CptnRn; 02-10-2013 at 05:14 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,721 times
You can make a living in creative pursuits here if you're both talented and lucky. Otherwise, you're probably better off somewhere with a lower cost of living. I agree with centralaustinite - sounds like you might be better off elsewhere.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You will not like Austin, you are too hypercritical and judgmental. Austin is more of a live and let live place. You probably won't be happy here, or anywhere, but Austin certainly won't miss you.
I beg your pardon. I am not the one assuming I am better than you, with a better, smarter, more social attitude. And my farts smell like sweet roses for your information.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
You can make a living in creative pursuits here if you're both talented and lucky. Otherwise, you're probably better off somewhere with a lower cost of living. I agree with centralaustinite - sounds like you might be better off elsewhere.
I had heard that Austin was full of pretentious, smug yuppies--although after reading your post I now heartily disagree with this premise.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,029 times
troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin