U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 PM

16,787 posts, read 46,808,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Reminded me of the call I got today from Austin Homes I think it was. Some guy says, "so, I see you've been searching for homes on the internet."

I said, "hey, this is kind of a creeper call, how do you know I'm looking for homes?" Which I wasn't. He says, "when you fill out all that information on the page." I replied, "I don't fill in all the information on the pages."

Then he said someone must have used our phone number, which is kinda odd since it's private, but hey, it's the world of technology.

Anyway, back on topic, we had something similar as the OP and thought "we won"!! It was a big let down It's a ploy and I was a sucker. Lesson learned.
Probably all BS, he knows you are less likely to hang up on him if you think you are some how responsible for his calling. The longer he keeps you on the phone the better chance he has of selling you something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 01:17 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,460,179 times
Many many years ago, I worked at the Canyon Lake timeshare sales office (back office, data entry). I agree with everyone else, total BS, don't do it.

Some of those sales people made insane amounts of money though, so plenty of people did fall for it! I witnessed some awful things, including management illegally altering checks from customers, just lots of shady stuff. I would stay far far away.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:41 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,823,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I need to pass along the 'Dinner Invitations' we get regularly from 'financial advisors' and 'retirement planners'. Someone could eat a darned good meal every couple of weeks just on those!
Please do! LOL I really do enjoy it...I guess it's my correctional mental health background in the Texas prison system! Drives my husband crazy, but he'll play along. I enjoy the new car buying process for the same reason!! (In fact, I have one phrase that I can't post on here that my Daddy told a car salesman once -- I've promised myself that at some point, I'll say it to a salesman who is trying to pull one over on me in memory of my Daddy...they'll never expect it to come out of the mouth of what looks like an innocent, sweet female!)

Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,888,287 times
You also signed yourself up for a ton of SPAM emails and junk mail lists. Even if you've put yourself on "stop junk mail" lists before, this negates that because you have now "expressed interest."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin