Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
If it can be done by '14, why wasn't it done by '04---or '08---or '12 ???
In this case, because the federal funding to get it done wasn't available until it was available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 AM

304 posts, read 871,387 times
I actually called capmetro today and the rep on the phone told me it would be a legitimate BRT with a dedicated lane. Hopefully that will turn out to be true.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 AM

227 posts, read 366,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
I actually called capmetro today and the rep on the phone told me it would be a legitimate BRT with a dedicated lane. Hopefully that will turn out to be true.
Wow, really? Because I'm 99.9% sure that's not true. That's why they are calling "Rapid Bus", they know it's not a true BRT line. It should provide better frequency, LR like stop spacing, etc., but it will still be stuck in traffic. That's why the city considered dropping it altogether a few years ago.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
Quote:
Well, they have to think up a way for it to actually BE Rapid Transit . Perhaps they are working on a teleportation device or vaporizor to eliminate the traffic that is IN THE WAY now. (Or have they been stringing up those gondola lines and keeping that a secret?. )
Nah, it's more down-to-earth technology:

"How does the traffic signal technology work?
As Capital MetroRapid buses approach an intersection, they will send a beam to a signal controller that will either extend a green light a few seconds or change a red light to green a few seconds sooner. Any extra green light time given to the MetroRapid bus will be coordinated with the next signal cycle to ensure that signal synchronization is preserved."

Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
Well, that would be odd then since no such projects have been undertaken, nor funded, nor approved. . .

The routes run through some of the most well travelled routes in town. . .you'd think there would be an article or two on construction of a dedicated lane.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,922 times
Quote:
Last I heard (and all that was listed in CapMetro's budget) was "dedicated" lanes for about 10 or so blocks downtown. "Dedicated" due to right-turning traffic also allowed at some intersections. We'll see how much that adversely affects it.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildahat View Post
Wow, really? Because I'm 99.9% sure that's not true. That's why they are calling "Rapid Bus", they know it's not a true BRT line. It should provide better frequency, LR like stop spacing, etc., but it will still be stuck in traffic..

The BRT-like characteristics of the new system include the frequency and stop spacing you mention, as well as level-boarding, multi-door boarding, stop infrastructure (canopies and time displays, etc.).

Almost all BRT systems make some compromises, and exist on a continuum of features.
ITDP | Institute for Transportation and Development Policy : Microsites : BRT Standard

Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Nah, it's more down-to-earth technology:

"How does the traffic signal technology work?
As Capital MetroRapid buses approach an intersection, they will send a beam to a signal controller that will either extend a green light a few seconds or change a red light to green a few seconds sooner. Any extra green light time given to the MetroRapid bus will be coordinated with the next signal cycle to ensure that signal synchronization is preserved."
I'm afraid 'synchronized' traffic lights is one of those promises yet to be delivered(heard about them for 40 years now). Not only will the bus disturb any other 'synchronization' in front of it, the 60 foot long bus still has to get TO the intersection(again, will it vaporize all the traffic in the way?)

A partial list of 'promises' heard about for decades:
>Non-partisan politics
>Middle East peace
>Women's shoes that fit
>Synchronized traffic lights

Carry on...

Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I'm afraid 'synchronized' traffic lights is one of those promises yet to be delivered(heard about them for 40 years now).
What do you mean? The lights in question are already synchronized today. That's why doing the light extension from the bus is harder than it would be, it needs to avoid messing up that synchronization permanently.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
What do you mean? The lights in question are already synchronized today. That's why doing the light extension from the bus is harder than it would be, it needs to avoid messing up that synchronization permanently.
Synchronized to do what? Stop cross traffic or stop the main artery? If it's synchronized FOR the bus lane, why the need to 'manipulate' the lights? Just askin' . Will people just fall in behind the bus to make sure they get through every light?

Is this actually done successfully in other cities with the same type of roadways?

I understand the concept of an emergency vehicle running a 'one-off' route by controlling lights; but do we really trust the bus drivers to control the traffic lights in congested areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: