U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 PM

83 posts, read 91,618 times

Advertisements

I am a professional in my mid 30's. I am moving with my three boys (ages 3-14), in Dec. I will be working from home, for the most part. Which neighborhoods are better, between Bowie High area and Anderson High area? I want to have easy access to some fun (live music, good food etc.), but don't want to be where my kids can't walk around and play outside. I want a good, family oriented, not-too-boring area. I can't spend a fortune, but will be advancing in my career, over the next couple of years. Thanks for your help! I'm so excited to move to Austin!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 04:46 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,121,265 times
They're both solid. You'll be fine in either. Personally, I prefer the Anderson area, but that's just individual bias. I'd say pick the better house between the two.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM

15 posts, read 22,292 times
Either one be a good choice. I have lived in Circle C and live in Great Hills now. My daughter is a Senior at Anderson. My husband and I are currently building our empty nest down south, will move this summer. Anyway...Circle C will be a bit less expensive and you get more of a community feel, it's a nice area with lots to do. Great Hills is nice too, with lots nearby. I would vote for Circle C for you, but again either would work well.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 PM

7,238 posts, read 20,657,713 times
It will depend on your price point and what you expect in a home, newer or older. South is going to be newer and less expensive, as a generalization. Yes, you have exceptions...

Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 PM

2,927 posts, read 2,900,667 times
Just to give you an example, we have friends who live down in Circle C, they _love_ it down there and wouldn't ever think of moving up north (they have 2 kiddos). We ourselves live in the Anderson district and love it up here and would never think of moving down south. 2 "professional" families who value education with vastly different views.

Bottom line is that both locations have very different vibes overall. Narrow your search to those neighborhoods in both areas that match your budget, see what activities are within a reasonable distance that are close to you (e.g. down south has great access to Barton Creek, up north has places like Bull Creek, City Park). Both areas are large enough that you are going to find a mix of accessibility, walkability, distance to activities.

Also, don't forget to factor in whatever industry you're in. Living in Circle C and having to commute to RR would suck, big time. Obviously if you can telecommute then it's not as big of a deal.

And finally, one thing north Austin has that south doesn't is a Fry's! To me that trumps everything and makes for an obvious decision

Old 02-15-2013, 06:56 PM

10,147 posts, read 18,746,176 times
I think they are both good but would prefer the Anderson HS area for 2 reasons:

1) Some better views (NW Hills, Cat Mountain, etc) and more variety of housing (albeit older)
2) Better mix of retail/restaurant within the neighborhood, at least to me. Circle C/SW has more of a master plan feel, the retail and restaurant are on the periphery or up against Mopac. Might seem a little more boring, unless you get in your car and head downtown.

However, some pros of the of the SW area are newer housing within somewhat affordable price range and closer proximity to downtown and SoCo. The NW area has proximity to many different north-central areas though, and is easier to access the city overall.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:50 PM

Thanks so much! I'm so glad to know that I can't go wrong with either. I will have to just see what I find, house-wise. Thanks again!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:46 PM

7,668 posts, read 13,964,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MallieF View Post
I am a professional in my mid 30's. I am moving with my three boys (ages 3-14), in Dec. I will be working from home, for the most part. Which neighborhoods are better, between Bowie High area and Anderson High area? I want to have easy access to some fun (live music, good food etc.), but don't want to be where my kids can't walk around and play outside. I want a good, family oriented, not-too-boring area. I can't spend a fortune, but will be advancing in my career, over the next couple of years. Thanks for your help! I'm so excited to move to Austin!
North austin has more high tech and creative class jobs. The north has boomed over the last 10 years and now is pretty much done. The south is booming right now.

The south is closer to south congress and "hipster areas". For the same distance to downtown, south will be less expensive than northwest austin.

You will find nice houses in either area so it really should boil down more to amenities of the location. Both areas have all the same shopping except for a few differences.

South
closer to all the trendy food in east austin and South congress
less expensive for comparable distance to downtown
more unique and trendy austin experiences
closer to zilker park
newer housing stock
closer to a central market

Northwest
greenbelt/hills
more high tech and creative class jobs close by (apple, IBM, HP, dell, GM, Paypal etc)
more established neighborhoods
closer to the main basin of lake travis
closer to the domain (expensive shopping)
slightly better schools
slightly more affluent but almost the same
slightly faster to get to downtown even though the distance is comparable

circle c is in a couple of zip codes, 78739 is comparable to 78731, but 78749 is much lower income

Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 PM

That's great information. Thanks! I guess my next step is to make a trip, in a few months.

You have all really helped me a lot. I appreciate it.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 AM

5,184 posts, read 6,685,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
circle c is in a couple of zip codes, 78739 is comparable to 78731, but 78749 is much lower income
78739 (newer section of CCR + Meridian) has the second highest median income in Austin - 31, while nice, doesn't even make the top 10.

I think the lower drive times to downtown from SW were the drivers for us - to go out to dinner on the weekends, etc. We both either telecommute or fly-commute, so driving to work wasn't important - unless it is to ABIA, and that is a piece of cake from SW, especially with the Mopac/290 flyovers now complete.

I would choose closer to work as my determinant, as some have said earlier. The added PITA from a crosstown commute is far greater than the tiny difference in the two areas. If that isn't a factor, then our choice was SW (Meridian) and we couldn't be happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin