Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,546,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post

Definitely feeling targeted right about now...
It could be that the person reporting you doesn't like that you're renters or is trying to get back at the owner for renting out that house. It's probably not personal at all, but it is likely that someone is reporting the "violations".
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 01:05 PM

912 posts, read 1,277,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Everyone is forgetting that Avery Ranch is part of the cookie-cutter bland sprawl that plagues the Austin suburbs. You might as well move to Dallas instead as it shouldn't even be considered part of Austin. Any real Austinite only ventures North of 620 to go to Ikea. (And yes, I'm only saying this because I plan to buy a home in Avery Ranch within the next 18 months. I don't want to be priced out in that timeframe. Where is the good old Steiner Ranch/Avery Ranch hate talk of old?)
I will say this: Central Austin neighborhoods have a lot more color. I was up in Avery Ranch this morning for a garage sale (they had already sold the item I was looking for though) and every house was the same color beige! Really, really beige. Are they forbidden from any other colors? Why is it that somewhere like Mueller gets pops of color and Avery Ranch is beige and tan? I mean, they're both new construction. Is there a section of Avery Ranch that has color?

Old 02-23-2013, 01:24 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,376,890 times
That is generally created by the buyers all wanting to stay "safe" for resale. I know we had a large number of options on our last build near there, and stayed in the middle of the pack, since we knew we'd be selling before it needed to be repainted.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,443,925 times
Guess you were in the wrong section . On our block, there are a half dozen different brick colors and the natural central Texas stone along with the 'Arizona' stone colors. No, you won't see any red, pink or purple in AR...that's OK with me. The interiors tend to be toward the sandstone/beige/clay colors unless DW(interior designer) gets hold of them. We have a nice 'red cent' color in our office and great area along with some more 'gold' wall coloring upstairs. Soft blue in the master. We once had a 'harlequin' patchwork wall of various sample colors. I wanted to leave it, but DW nixed that one. Still wouldn't mind an accent wall like that somewhere.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:47 PM

912 posts, read 1,277,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Guess you were in the wrong section . On our block, there are a half dozen different brick colors and the natural central Texas stone along with the 'Arizona' stone colors. No, you won't see any red, pink or purple in AR...that's OK with me. The interiors tend to be toward the sandstone/beige/clay colors unless DW(interior designer) gets hold of them. We have a nice 'red cent' color in our office and great area along with some more 'gold' wall coloring upstairs. Soft blue in the master. We once had a 'harlequin' patchwork wall of various sample colors. I wanted to leave it, but DW nixed that one. Still wouldn't mind an accent wall like that somewhere.
The section I was in was definitely siding + stone, so the siding colors could be painted pretty easily. It was just odd how uniformly light the siding was - we got our house painted last year, and even though we stayed "neutral", it was a bit darker, and we were trying not to clash with and/or steal colors from nearby houses that do have color to them. I like seeing a lot of color when I walk around a neighborhood.... it helps make things seem alive when it's mid-july and the grass is all dead.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
The section I was in was definitely siding + stone, so the siding colors could be painted pretty easily. It was just odd how uniformly light the siding was - we got our house painted last year, and even though we stayed "neutral", it was a bit darker, and we were trying not to clash with and/or steal colors from nearby houses that do have color to them. I like seeing a lot of color when I walk around a neighborhood.... it helps make things seem alive when it's mid-july and the grass is all dead.
I personally don't care for the Hardi-Plank look and our house has none of it save for the chimney and trim. It would be interesting to see what 'wild' colors might be approved for the plank siding throughout AR. I reckon the range is pretty small.

I do think it's odd that the roofs must all be one color(Weathered Wood). I wouldn't mind at all if the roof colors could vary a bit(within reason).

With the drought continuing, I'm afraid the official grass color may be the same 'weathered wood'

Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 PM

318 posts, read 666,270 times
Runemaster and intmd8r-Sorry you feel targeted. That's definitely lousy and probably a crotchety person on your street with nothing better to do...I hope your new home is wonderful.

There are houses with different "colors" in AR. Most of them do stay in the neutral color palette (we are in an HOA community!). There's nothing tremendously offbeat in the colors or styles of house. And that's ok. There are plenty of other ways to put your stamp on a house/yard: landscaping, sculptures, pots, cars on blocks. Oh wait...no cars on blocks!

I have enjoyed the 'hood so far. There are fun events, the area is nice, and I can get everywhere I need to very quickly with minimal traffic.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:19 PM

587 posts, read 1,413,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
It could be that the person reporting you doesn't like that you're renters or is trying to get back at the owner for renting out that house. It's probably not personal at all, but it is likely that someone is reporting the "violations".
You know, I thought of that this weekend (about the fact that we're renters), but who knows. Our landscapers came on Friday and made our yard all perfect again, but now all I notice is how much worse our next door neighbor's yard looks than ours did BEFORE they came. Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppymeg View Post
Runemaster and intmd8r-Sorry you feel targeted. That's definitely lousy and probably a crotchety person on your street with nothing better to do...I hope your new home is wonderful.
Thank you! We hope so too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppymeg View Post
I have enjoyed the 'hood so far. There are fun events, the area is nice, and I can get everywhere I need to very quickly with minimal traffic.
Totally agree! Love the community events offered!!

Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
You know, I thought of that this weekend (about the fact that we're renters), but who knows. Our landscapers came on Friday and made our yard all perfect again, but now all I notice is how much worse our next door neighbor's yard looks than ours did BEFORE they came. Interesting...!
Sorry 'bout that "big blow" the weather gods spun up today. I've already seen some fencing down and tree 'parts' blowing down the street. Just when you think you've got the relentless south-eastern breezes figured out, along comes a 40+mph NORTHER Batten down the hatches!!!

Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,035,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Sorry 'bout that "big blow" the weather gods spun up today. I've already seen some fencing down and tree 'parts' blowing down the street. Just when you think you've got the relentless south-eastern breezes figured out, along comes a 40+mph NORTHER Batten down the hatches!!!
this is a strange wind since it is coming due west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin