Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:06 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

Central Austin is known for estate sized lots? Haha I don't think so..

I kinda laugh when people deride suburban housing for being cramped together when many popular urban neighborhoods feature the same 60s ranchers clustered together on postage stamped lots..oh I get it...urban density = good. Suburban density = bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 04:07 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Well you're both right. Over the entire area known as "Avery Ranch" there is a wide variety of different types of homes. However a large percentage of it consists of sections that are fairly homogeneous (e.g. every n'th house has the same basic floor plan and the majority are fairly recent builds) and with lots that are on the smaller side. There are far fewer sections of neighborhoods in the Spicewood/CV/Westwood area that follow that pattern.
Interesting...I'm pretty sure there were 3 houses with our same Drees floor plan in the Brookside neighborhood of over 330 homes...and none with our same Austin stone. There's plenty of brick of various colors, Austin stone, Arizona stone, etc. etc. Again, only the roof colors are homogeneous. Just on our street, there were lot sizes ranging from 1/4ac to closer to 1 full acre with all sorts of shapes and setbacks.

I'll admit, there are sections(especially the newest neighborhoods with only one builder) that are very "planned" in their appearance; but that can be found in just about any neighborhood built in this century. You say "far fewer sections" of the neighborhoods you mention are so similar; but I don't think any of those areas have 4000 homes to choose from. I can assure you, with homes ranging from under $250k to over $700k, Avery Ranch is not a cookie cutter community overall.

There are plenty of pockets of homes that back to other homes, with the smallest lot lines allowed; but there are scores of homes that back up to green space, golf course, Brushy Creek, wooded areas, "major" road arteries, even a school or a church or two.

And, yes, Bandon(the cherry picked interior street) has typical smaller lots and close setbacks; but as I said, scores, maybe hundreds of Avery Ranch homes don't fall into your imagined "cookie cutter" formula. They back up to green space/natural areas. Why in the world would I care if someone 4 blocks from me has the same floor plan and lives on a 1/4 acre lot? I'm MUCH more interested in a home that makes ME happy(and for a lot of folks, that's minimal yard space and a tried and true floor plan that doesn't need to be "custom" to be desirable or affordable) .

Just a wild guess; but I reckon there were a dozen or more builders in Avery Ranch...not likely to create a cookie cutter community with that approach.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:14 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Central Austin is known for estate sized lots? Haha I don't think so..

I kinda laugh when people deride suburban housing for being cramped together when many popular urban neighborhoods feature the same 60s ranchers clustered together on postage stamped lots..oh I get it...urban density = good. Suburban density = bad.

Thank you.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:46 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Just a wild guess; but I reckon there were a dozen or more builders in Avery Ranch...not likely to create a cookie cutter community with that approach.
Avery Ranch is a large area, so sure, like I said, over the entirety of the area there are many different price points and options. But the fact remains that the Spicewood/CV/Westwood area is significantly more diverse in pretty much all aspects (even more so if you throw in Laurel Mountain/CV/Westwood). Even with the differences that you mention, the area tends to a have more homogeneous feel relative to S/CV/W area. That said, I do admit, that "feeling" is relative and what you see as diverse I might see as "different but the same", and that's cool, that's why it's good to have multiple points of view. Like I had mentioned to @ashiana in another thread, it's best to actually actually come out and experience the areas themselves as they too may have a different take on what the two areas are like.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:19 PM

163 posts, read 158,879 times
Quote:
oh I get it...urban density = good. Suburban density = bad.
I totally agree with this sentiment.

In the city, I can live with density. Out in the suburbs, I want some space. I didn't move all the way out there for nothing. I think most people feel the same way.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
People can Google search all the streets and make up their own minds. I stand 100% behind what I said.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:54 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamoo View Post
I totally agree with this sentiment.

In the city, I can live with density. Out in the suburbs, I want some space. I didn't move all the way out there for nothing. I think most people feel the same way.
No. Most people do not feel the same way. Maybe YOU wouldn't move to the suburbs only to live on a smaller lot, but obviously plenty of other people do, so there's obviously other driving factors at play in their home selection besides lot size. Think about it - Avery Ranch is a large subdivision of over one thousand homes and increasing each year. If "most people" cared about lot size, or the facade of a house, then the demand wouldn't be there.

It's not in a builder's best interest to subdivide into larger lots when there are people happily paying $$ to live on a quarter of an acre. In fact, it's not a given to expect a large lot anywhere. they are available, but you'll pay extra for it. We specifically wanted a half acre or more, and there were only a handful of neighborhoods that met those requirements.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
No. Most people do not feel the same way. Maybe YOU wouldn't move to the suburbs only to live on a smaller lot, but obviously plenty of other people do, so there's obviously other driving factors at play in their home selection besides lot size. Think about it - Avery Ranch is a large subdivision of over one thousand homes and increasing each year. If "most people" cared about lot size, or the facade of a house, then the demand wouldn't be there.

It's not in a builder's best interest to subdivide into larger lots when there are people happily paying $$ to live on a quarter of an acre. In fact, it's not a given to expect a large lot anywhere. they are available, but you'll pay extra for it. We specifically wanted a half acre or more, and there were only a handful of neighborhoods that met those requirements.
We can agree to disagree then.

You can move the small lot size thing to the list of "Good" criteria. I'll keep it in the "Bad".

Old 03-23-2017, 04:16 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Google Maps for Brushy Creek North & Tonkawa Springs. Same for Balcones Village off 183N.

Quote:
far away from downtown Austin, more big box retail and chain restaurants rather than Austin originals. Prestige firmly CRV-driving middle/upper middle class.
Not everybody wants to be close to downtown, and plenty of Austin "originals" are just overrated hype. And not everyone wants to drive a Prius.
Been there, done most of that for almost 60 years. I've lived on 17th St., one block south of Barton Springs Road, Manor Road next to old Mueller Airport, next to Caswell Tennis courts, and near Riverside & I-35 before moving out to the 'burbs in 1971.

The "hip" and hot areas of Crestview, Rosedale, Allendale? Those were all cheaply built crackerboxes slapped up in the postwar boom into the '50s.

We prefer the 'burbs, and rarely visit Central Austin.

Last edited by ScoPro; 03-23-2017 at 04:26 PM..

Old 03-24-2017, 08:40 AM

668 posts, read 783,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

The "hip" and hot areas of Crestview, Rosedale, Allendale? Those were all cheaply built crackerboxes slapped up in the postwar boom into the '50s.
My dad has been saying this for years. It's why I don't mind the mass tear-downs that are happening in those areas; those houses (like the similar one in Windsor Park that we own) built in the 50s were never architecturally significant or wonderful even when they were new. They were the cookie cutter inexpensive tract homes of their day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin