Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Which will be nothing more than the liability limits - which will be offered as a settlement.

The original argument was that the Griffin family will insist on a trial. No one will take that case, after a settlement offer, without a retainer. You can't get blood out of a turnip.
I don't think you understand how litigation works.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Which will be nothing more than the liability limits - which will be offered as a settlement.

The original argument was that the Griffin family will insist on a trial. No one will take that case, after a settlement offer, without a retainer. You can't get blood out of a turnip.
I don't think so, bro.

It's a very polarizing case and based on sensationalism alone, there will be plenty of lawyers to take it on either a contingency or a reverse contigency basis.

It's easy for you to disassociate yourself/play devil's advocate when it's not your child that got killed. You'd better believe that if it was my daughter that met her end at the hands of poor little drunk girl, I'd go after her. Since pummeling her would land me in jail, I'd settle for litigation. It would never be about money, just justice. If this girl had slammed into a cop, she would be in prison right now. As I write this, there's a mother being brought up on murder charges for a DUI in which her daughter died. If Miss Nestande got off, why is this woman being charged with murder, huh?

Old 03-18-2013, 06:16 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,097 times
Default State rep apologizes

State rep apologizes for drunken driving arrest, accident - YNN - Your News Now

I know it happens all the time, I accept that fact. Why were they giving her a standing ovation?

Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
Initially my response was that as long as it doesn't affect any legal proceedings who cares but then.......Now we've had two accidents, one fatal one not, involving alcohol and people from the lege. Let this be a hint to lawmakers that the status quo is unacceptable.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:48 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Shoot! in the "olden days" 10-15 years ago when Soco was "south congress" filled with xxx theaters and by the hours hotels, State reps and senators were always getting caught DWI with guns in the trunk and women who were not their wives in the car!! And I'm told that was tame compared with the 1950s and 1960s when brothels were everywhere in Austin and the biggest customers came from the lege.

I know times change (and I am VERY glad) but in the history of misbehavior in the lege, this is truly small potatoes.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Being Nestande drunk and crashing into people is encouraged/celebrated

Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 PM

2,138 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
State rep apologizes for drunken driving arrest, accident - YNN - Your News Now

I know it happens all the time, I accept that fact. Why were they giving her a standing ovation?
Because she did what her lawyers and advisers told her to do like a good politician.

Don in Austin

Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 PM

63 posts, read 127,705 times
I hope she is made an example of. No excuse to drive drunk in a city with plenty of alternative transportation options. When you're in public office and making laws, you don't get to make mistakes like that. And those people sending flowers and applauding her should be ashamed for supporting that kind of disgusting behavior. She's 34. Time to grow up.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:57 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,281 times
She apologizes...now that she's sober and realizes how much she effed up her life...

Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
She apologizes...now that she's sober and realizes how much she effed up her life...

That part I get. The thing that disturbed me was the standing ovation. To me it seemed like a solemn time. A time of quiet gratitude that no one was killed. I saw the situation as: YIPPEE!!! "You can't touch this." (MC Hammer)

I also understand in "comparison" that this particular incident was not as bad as it "used to be". The thing is...the everyday folk that get caught drunk driving usually don't wind up in a roomful of people cheering.

It isn't the issue of drunk driving here as much as it is the inequality with which "justice" is served to one part of the population and then the masses. How about we take the next person that gets caught drunk driving, (the everyday Joe/Jane) and bring them to the Capitol and wait for the standing ovation after their mea culpa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin