Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 05:41 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,503,666 times

Advertisements

Shame they don't have common back stock for another local store to cannibalize. I wonder where they're getting their re-stocks...possibly goods headed to SA, Dallas or Houston.

I've still got a great location in mind if they ever head to north north Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 10:05 AM

27 posts, read 33,517 times
Visited the other day and this is just as DISAPPOINTING as it always has been. I really don't get the HYPE.....make that the CA HYPE!!!

I shopped at Trader Joe's 30+ years ago in CA, and more recently a couple of years ago. It's just OK, folks.....nothing more. Except, the one where I used to infrequently shop made sandwiches, and you could get a falafel sandwich there in a pinch if Mama Habash at the Habash Cafe wasn't cooking that day. Mama Habash = 10 Trader's = 6.

Honestly, to me......this is the SAME THING as the store it replaced (Sun Harvest) with just a different name......too bad.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:35 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,083,634 times
We like their juices, as they are not as expensive as other places, but high quality. We like the spicy cider and used to drink lots of pear juice, although they did not have it when I went in last week. I like the frozen biryani mix, to which you add any meat and other vegies you want. It is a good base for an easy meal. They make a 2 minute pad thai that is good if you add your own green onions, cilantro, etc. We used to love their UFOs; chocolate mint drops, but they seem to not have them now. Their keifer is the best. I used to get frozen organic blueberries for smoothies at TJ because they were so much less than anywhere else. I have not compared prices recently, so I can't say that this is true now. I have more to check out. I only went once to the TJ's here, and it was crowded, so I made it a short trip. I will go back again at a better time to do more careful shopping. I never used to pay much attention to produce, as it just isn't as good as a lot of places, but I will look at that better next time. I understand people who are not impressed because TJ's is really not a complete grocery store. It is supplement. But there are lots of items that make life easier and that are unique to TJ's, and you get used to them. Once you know what they have, you go in just for those items (and whatever else you see that looks interesting.) It becomes just a familiar part of life, and as such, is enjoyable to go there and see what I can find (for me, at least.) PS: TJ's is nothing like Sun Harvest. It has its own products and personality.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,218,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmorganj View Post
Visited the other day and this is just as DISAPPOINTING as it always has been. I really don't get the HYPE.....make that the CA HYPE!!!

I shopped at Trader Joe's 30+ years ago in CA, and more recently a couple of years ago. It's just OK, folks.....nothing more. Except, the one where I used to infrequently shop made sandwiches, and you could get a falafel sandwich there in a pinch if Mama Habash at the Habash Cafe wasn't cooking that day. Mama Habash = 10 Trader's = 6.

Honestly, to me......this is the SAME THING as the store it replaced (Sun Harvest) with just a different name......too bad.
I have visited several TJ's all over the west and never seen one that had a made to order deli sandwich.
I personally do not believe that it is CA hype and not even sure what you mean by that.
IMO TJ's is unique and has its own place in the grocery store options. Here in central TX the options are sorely lacking and dominated by HEB and their own Central Market which keeps pricing high, selection low and produce offerings dismal. TJ's brings a lot of unique items at reasonable prices which is not something that Central Market can boast about.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:06 AM

I would agree with GGrass that it is a "supplement" and nothing more. Sorry, it was Sprouts that was there before and (I think) they had their own label? I wouldn't say that much is "UNIQUE" at Traitor's, and Yes, I had sandwiches 30+ years ago. Perhaps they were Unsuccessful and Discontinued?

Old 09-29-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I have visited several TJ's all over the west and never seen one that had a made to order deli sandwich.
I personally do not believe that it is CA hype and not even sure what you mean by that.
IMO TJ's is unique and has its own place in the grocery store options. Here in central TX the options are sorely lacking and dominated by HEB and their own Central Market which keeps pricing high, selection low and produce offerings dismal. TJ's brings a lot of unique items at reasonable prices which is not something that Central Market can boast about.
HEB has excellent produce.........I don't get to shop there because I'm stuck here in KROGERLAND which has terrible produce. I would not shop at Trader Joe's for produce......just for "specialty" items. CA HYPE is just that.......Overhyping the ordinary or typical like In-N-Out burgers which are just OK.

Last edited by hmorganj; 09-29-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-29-2013, 12:27 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,218,322 times
Quote:
HEB has excellent produce.........I don't get to shop there because I'm stuck here in KROGERLAND which has terrible produce. I would not shop at Trader Joe's for produce......just for "specialty" items. CA HYPE is just that.......Overhyping the ordinary or typical like In-N-Out burgers which are just OK.
All subjective and per your opinion. HEB has horrible produce overall but then again so do most of the stores in Central Texas.
If one reads up on the various consumer reports, TJ's is not known for their produce or their meat, I have read several articles that actually suggest to stay away from the meat and produce at TJ's due to its high price and average quality. However, TJ's has a whole line of unique to them items along with things not normally found at the local markets and on their own items, their pricing is generally excellent.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Mama......you are shoppin' at some bad places!

Yeah........reasons for the criticisms! Duh....

Old 09-29-2013, 01:58 PM

979 posts, read 2,951,067 times
Quote:
CA HYPE is just that.......Overhyping the ordinary or typical like In-N-Out burgers which are just OK.
Kind of a hilarious thing to post in an Austin forum since Austin seems to be the king of hyping things which are just ordinary. Trader Joe's is all over the country now, so I don't think it was just former Californians who were eager for it to show up here.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:33 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,262,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
HEB has horrible produce overall but then again so do most of the stores in Central Texas.
Compared to what? In what way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin