Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:54 PM

205 posts, read 726,122 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
So I've been scouring states looking for a place that gives me the best bang for my buck in regards to Real Estate, and I think Texas is it.

That being said, husband would like San Antonio, but I don't want big city. So I'm looking on the outskirts of Austin and San Antonio and I find Kyle, TX.

Anyone on this forum live there? Can you give me your prospective? I'll be buying a place with some acreage for my critters (chickens, goats, cows etc) so it will be rural. I don't care about having to drive to get household goods.

Hopefully my geography is not off, and I'm still close enough to large towns for husband to get a job (auto sales, parts and manufacturing).

My main concern is weather; I don't care about snow, ice, cold, rain etc. I am leery of tornadoes and hurricanes. (that sounds funny coming from a So CA occupant and living with the constant threat of earthquakes, but hey we all have our phobias) I've looked up historical weather info, but still want to know what locals think.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 02:39 PM

29 posts, read 111,145 times
I live in Kyle in the Plum Creek subdivision and LOVE it. HOWEVER, if you're looking for rural area, Kyle may not be the place for you. Once you get out of city limits, most things designated as "Kyle" are in some pretty rough sections. For any lot with sufficient acreage that you find, you'll more than likely be stuck in the middle of some scattered trailer parks or other rundown property. Even if you can block all that out, you'll deal with people coming onto your property or intoxicated drivers running into your fences. There's really no place with that kind of land in Kyle that I would feel comfortable recommending.

Maybe look up toward Bastrop or Lockhart.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 PM

excellent feedback. thank you!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 AM

544 posts, read 1,666,951 times
you may also want to consider dripping springs -- there are many spots between taylor, elgin, and bastrop that would be good spots as well -- look at an arch from georgetown to kyle -- i've just helped a family moving in from san diego on such a search and found some selection available

Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,719 times
It's a small town, probably will grow in the future. Close access to San Marcos and South Austin. I think that the home prices are decent. If you like small town living, it might be the place for you, it's close enough to the city so you wouldn't be too far out.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:47 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennaball View Post
...if you're looking for rural area, Kyle may not be the place for you. Once you get out of city limits, most things designated as "Kyle" are in some pretty rough sections. For any lot with sufficient acreage that you find, you'll more than likely be stuck in the middle of some scattered trailer parks or other rundown property...

Maybe look up toward Bastrop or Lockhart.
Rural areas near Bastrop and Lockhart are just as bad, if not worse. The "trailer park" issue around Kyle is to the east primarily. West and southwest of Kyle is gorgeous. Out toward Driftwood there's nothing remotely like a trailer park, nor is it like that on the road toward Wimberly. Not trying to pick a fight, just adding my 2 cents based on having owned property near both Bastrop and Lockhart.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the insight. The following cities have properties that I'm interested in seeing:
Kyle, Leander, Georgetown, Liberty Hill, Hutto, and Dripping Springs. Am I looking in nice areas... I'm not looking for city living. All I looking for from a city is supplies, an Airport, and only if I have to - enough city to find employment.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:25 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
I live in Plum Creek in Kyle, its beautiful, people are friendly, and it truly is for families. Kyle has grown alot in the last few years. We now have major medical center, Lowes, HEB, Target, Kohls, Petco, CVS, etc. It will continue to grow and add.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:27 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
I live in Plum Creek in Kyle, its beautiful, people are friendly, and it truly is for families. Kyle has grown alot in the last few years. We now have major medical center, Lowes, HEB, Target, Kohls, Petco, CVS, etc. It will continue to grow . I moved here from a large city and I couldn't be happier.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:42 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,017,456 times
There are trailers all over this city. There are trailers off of Bee Caves and 360 for chrissakes. Trailer parks I have no idea about, but remember, if the land is nice, then market forces will take over and nice homes will replace them - after all, they are trailers (they can be rolled away in a matter of hours.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin