Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,597 times

Advertisements

People biking on the roads. I didn't know you could even bike on city streets before I came to Austin.

I've become a big supporter of cycling and now use my bike to get around as often as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 08:36 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
I expected there to be a lot of big vehicles when we moved to Texas, but I had no idea that there would be people driving them who were so unskilled. All these happened in the first months we lived here. Experience #1: rear ended by a teenager who admitted that she didn't realize how long it would take for her huge SUV to stop. Experience #2: Hit while parked by a woman who hit both cars on either side of the space as she attempted to park. Experience #3: Came out of a store and saw someone trying to park their SUV next to mine and dangerously close to hitting it. I ran out and told her she was about to hit my car. Here is the jist of our conversation: "You are going to hit my car if you continue as you are"; "what do I do?", "back up, cutting to the right." "I don't know what that means" "I mean turn your wheel to the right" "I don't know how to park this thing. Would you park it for me?" "No, I am not going to drive your car. Back out and go park where there aren't any cars around" "OK".

My solution: When my husband is with me, I park in a handicapped space, which usually has more room. (we have a handicapped mirror hanger.) When he is not with me, I park out where it is unlikely people will park around me. Self preservation.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,052 times
I've never noticed skill-level to be a problem in drivers of large vehicles. Most I see around town appear aware of their vehicle's limitations/requirements and handle them surprisingly well. I don't drive one, but think the stereotypes perpetuate a bit of anger out in public - something we could do without.

Last edited by capcat; 03-02-2013 at 10:08 AM..

Old 03-02-2013, 05:32 PM

9 posts, read 11,702 times
Back to surprises about Austin/Texas:
Been here since 1981, after living all over, and my biggest shock was people DRIVING ON THE BEACH. Not occasional dune buggies, but roads made in the sand and cars parked on the sand, one lined up after the other.
Another surprise was Texans' obsession with the weather. But that made more sense once I ran out in the driveway in eager anticipation of my first September cold front.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:18 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,097 times
Default After trying to move to Austin did anything surprise you?

We tried to move to Austin so I'll chime in. I was surprised at the ratio of paupers to princes. Also the home prices were a bit surprising.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
We tried to move to Austin so I'll chime in. I was surprised at the ratio of paupers to princes. Also the home prices were a bit surprising.
When my family first moved here in 1968, they bought a house in Allandale North for 22,000. I thought that was an expensive home. About 1980, my husband and I bought our first home off FM 1325 for 50,000. At the time, home prices were projected to reach an average of 100,000 in maybe 5 years or so, which I just did not believe. That seemed outrageous. I also didn't believe it was possible for Round Rock to almost reach Austin, as people were saying it would. It seemed way too far away for that. We bought a house in Allandale a couple of years later for 72,000 and sold it 20 some years later for 350,000 as is, kitchen and bathroom completely gutted for a remodel. Just to give you an idea of the progression of things in Austin.

But back to the topic, the thing that surprised me when I moved to Austin was the weather. People ran to the window to watch the rain. I had no idea why at the time, now I do the same thing. Also, that it could be 75 degrees on Christmas Day. A white Christmas would be a miracle. . Another thing that surprised me were the creatures...horned toads in our front yard. They looked like mini-dinosaurs. Too bad they're no longer around here.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:45 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Moving her from Denver it surprised me how much more penetrating cold weather could be in Austin, I blame this on the humidity. It made it far more uncomfortable to ride my motorcycle to and from UT.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:15 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post

But back to the topic, the thing that surprised me when I moved to Austin was the weather. People ran to the window to watch the rain. I had no idea why at the time, now I do the same thing. .
When it rains, I have been known to go stand in it, or just sit out on the deck watching it. We have come to appreciate every little bit!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 PM

32 posts, read 101,509 times
Giant flying cockroaches are called "tree roaches" in Austin and they will REALLY surprise you. Especially when it's dry and they come into your house to "look for water". Even nice homes have tree roaches. I almost moved out of our house in Barton Hills in the first week because of them. I assumed we had an infestation after seeing a few. We moved from NYC and even the water bugs there aren't that big. Keep your air conditioning cranked to help deter them. The air dehumidifies... it's expensive (and cold) but it works ok.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
When it rains, I have been known to go stand in it, or just sit out on the deck watching it. We have come to appreciate every little bit!
Me, too. Life-giving rain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin