Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Nothing is going to "reduce" traffic levels (save a collapse in population). The problem now is that people don't have a choice about how to get to work. Installing a comprehensive rail system will give people that choice.

Not sure where this idea I-35 won't ever be fixed came from. We'll definitely see a re-do of the central city roadway at some point in time, probably adding some additional capacity and getting rid of the awful double decks; that's part of the reason for the construction of SR-130.
Texas 130 is the road that was built to alleviate I-35 traffic.
It is an alternative to I-35.
It was supposed to be a route for the 18 wheelers to take so that I-35 would be freed up from the big truck traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:51 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
TXDOT had plans pretty well developed in the early 2000s for the reconstruction. I'm not aware that they're online anymore. Problem was that without any Austin bypass the reconstruction would have led to truly awful traffic congestion for many, many years. Thus SR 130, 45, etc.

In any event, the "strawman" being thrown around is that I-35 reconstruction will be "12 to 14 lanes." Much more likely is dropping the deck and constructing something like 8 lanes plus 2 dual direction lanes for through traffic. The four lanes of local traffic per side would significantly increase capacity (four lanes have MUCH more capacity than the current 2x2 lanes) and it removes the horrible traffic snarling caused by the split to the UD/LD.

As far as the access roads, no reason not to cantilever out a lane as required to maintain the existing capacity.

None of this is rocket science--its just tedious and expensive.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:13 AM

522 posts, read 657,623 times
Quote:
In any event, the "strawman" being thrown around is that I-35 reconstruction will be "12 to 14 lanes."
...numbers which came out of the Project Connect analyses, based on CAMPO projections, and presented publicly as the capacity deficit looking out 25 years....while you speculate that TxDOT might have had plans to do something at some point, but the studies are conveniently not on the web site anymore. Got it.

Quote:
Much more likely is dropping the deck and constructing something like 8 lanes plus 2 dual direction lanes for through traffic. The four lanes of local traffic per side would significantly increase capacity (four lanes have MUCH more capacity than the current 2x2 lanes) and it removes the horrible traffic snarling caused by the split to the UD/LD.

As far as the access roads, no reason not to cantilever out a lane as required to maintain the existing capacity.

None of this is rocket science--its just tedious and expensive.
Of course it's not rocket science. No one has said that it is. It's more than tedious and expensive - it's just not possible in a reasonable time frame, and meanwhile an average of nearly 45,000 people per year are projected to arrive in the Austin metro region. The environmental process would be a total nightmare, as would construction. Add to the cost, by the way, the tax base losses incurred by turning homes and businesses into strips of asphalt. Where is the money coming from? TxDOT, who is crying poor and stating that they have barely enough money to do planning studies let alone environmental, design, and construction (and maintaining the roads already built)?

I'm not suggesting that what you're saying is completely impossible given decades and tens of billions of greenbacks. Just very, very improbable within the time frame that we need it.

Last edited by jb9152; 02-28-2013 at 08:24 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 09:45 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
God forbid that I REMEMBER what was being discussed 13 years ago when I lived here.

Note the 71 highway announcement today, by the way--and not on any current planning document, I might add. The Austin bypass is coming into focus.

Finally, you seem to think that any reconstruction must meet the capacity deficit. This isn't the case. It can meet part of it, clear up the network confusion effects and inherent inefficiencies of the double decks, and replace the double decks at the end of their lifetime. I'm not saying this happens in 10 to 15 years--but it certainly happens in the next 25 - 30.

Here's an old reference to it:
http://www.texasfreeway.com/Austin/photos/i35/i35.shtml

"As of July 2001, a firm plan for the freeway is beginning to develop. The proposal looks very promising for turning IH-35 into an impressive freeway. See the July 10, 2001 intelligence report for full details."

Unfortunately the link on the ghost site to the plan details is broken.

Turns out the old TXDOT I-35 website is on Internet Archive
http://web.archive.org/web/200502040...om/index.shtml

"When can rebuild construction actually begin (bottleneck projects excluded)?
The IH 35 rebuild construction, excluding the bottleneck projects and current interchange construction, can feasibly begin in about 5 years. Isolated projects, however, such as the interchange of SH 45 with IH 35 in the Round Rock area, will begin sooner. The construction in the immediate central Austin area will be at least six years away."
"What solution is proposed for existing traffic while rebuilding IH 35 is taking place?
Existing traffic will be carried through the construction project; however, as congestion continues to escalate, traffic will divert to alternate facilities in an effort to improve travel through the corridor."
"Approximately how long a period of time will it take from start to finish?
The plan, which is being developed by the MIS, will be a long-range plan to build a better IH 35 for Central Texas. The actual time to complete the rebuild could be 15-20 years depending upon the availability of funds."

Edit:
And what do you know, here't the actual map:
http://web.archive.org/web/200711030...35central3.pdf

Last edited by gpurcell; 02-28-2013 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Adding information

Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM

522 posts, read 657,623 times
We might not be as far apart as I assumed. That's all good info - thanks! Still don't think it'll happen in our lifetimes, but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin