Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:19 PM

304 posts, read 871,387 times

Advertisements

I don't really want to turn this into a "which is better thread" but you can if you like . I am visiting Austin in a few weeks and I just want to have something to compare it to.

I know both streets are great party areas. In terms of live music, affordability, diversity of bars, promiscuity,.... really whatever you want to talk about....how do the two compare?

Also, what is your favorite bar on 6th Street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
If you're looking for Bourbon Street, 6th Street isn't going to satisfy you. None of the risque behavior and college aged kids instead of the better mix of ages on Bourbon.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I agree. Bourbon Street beats 6th. Halloween on 6th can be pretty fun though. Off the top of my head, you don't have street musicians playing in the Square all day and there isn't the saturation of history there either. There is History to the area, just not as old. For Texas, I get more of that feel from the Riverwalk area in San Antonio. Maggie Mae's used to be one of our favorites, but now we kind of just prefer Pig n' whistle pub (I'll have to double check if that's the right name). Fado's is usually a good place. Most of the time, we just get drunk and don't really pay attention to what club we stroll into after a while.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,314 times
I might add that you can't walk around with your drink in hand on 6th street either. It's been a few years since I have been on Bourbon Street but I remember walking around with our drinks downtown Bourbon Street...unless things have changed there in recent years...

Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I agree. Bourbon Street beats 6th. Halloween on 6th can be pretty fun though. Off the top of my head, you don't have street musicians playing in the Square all day and there isn't the saturation of history there either. There is History to the area, just not as old. For Texas, I get more of that feel from the Riverwalk area in San Antonio.
This. 6th street, in contrast to Bourbon Street, does not feel at all historic. 6th is like any bar street in any town of this size with a university nearby.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
6th Street is nowhere near what Bourbon Street is.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:53 PM

212 posts, read 477,349 times
Both 6th Street and Bourbon Street reek of vomit and stale beer. They are best viewed at night, when inebriated. In daylight, both are frightfully gross. If you're in Austin, hike around Lady Bird Lake, visit the Blanton, and have a cocktail at the W. Just a friendly suggestion...

Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
Both 6th Street and Bourbon Street reek of vomit and stale beer. They are best viewed at night, when inebriated. In daylight, both are frightfully gross. If you're in Austin, hike around Lady Bird Lake, visit the Blanton, and have a cocktail at the W. Just a friendly suggestion...
No, they are not. OP, please beware of any post which has massive generalizations (typically, they are not true). For the record, there are 3 different bar districts which Austinites refer to collectively as "Sixth Street". There is the most popular stretch of road from Congress Ave. (the center of the downtown Austin) to I-35 which has the cheap, shot bars called "Dirty Sixth". To the west, from Congress Ave. to Lamar Blvd. which is called "West Sixth" which has the business professional upscale bars (which also has the infamous distinction as the bars producing the most DUIs). Last, from I-35 to Chicon St. in East Austin, there are the alternative, "hipster" bars known as "East Sixth/Eastside Sixth".

Old 03-02-2013, 10:42 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,597 times
Bourbon is a narrow street so it can get super packed. 6th Street is wide and still manages to fill up every Friday/Saturday night.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
rogramjet, I'm a bit puzzled - where do you live? You post in both the Austin and Fort Worth forums as if you lived there.

I have to agree with ImOnFiya that this is a gross generalization (which is one thing that made me wonder just how familiar with Sixth Street you really are. Or Bourbon Street, for that matter.) and that what Sixth Street is like depends on what stretch of Sixth Street you're on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin