Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 AM

10 posts, read 15,797 times

Advertisements

I see raccoons at night and i want to find wild life service for free. where can i find one north austin or round rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactkvr View Post
I see raccoons at night and i want to find wild life service for free. where can i find one north austin or round rock.
Are you looking to have the raccoon trapped and relocated? If you do that, others will just take over that territory. What you need to do is eliminate all food sources from your yard so that you will not attract them in the first place. That means no accessible pet food, bird seed, garbage cans, etc. If you can find the PBS video "Raccoon Nation," that will really tell you a lot about urban raccoons and how they operate. You are right to be concerned about raccoons. They can be destructive and dangerous and carry disease. They should be wild, and not adapted to urban settings. But they are so smart, they have adapted, and are now an urban reality. We can't eliminate them, so we need to learn how to live with them. (Similar to coyotes.) The best way to live with them is to make your house and yard unattractive to them - no food or shelter.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:41 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
Quote:
Do you mean they are living under your porch or something? Or, do you simply see them occasionally in your yard?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,149 times
The wildlife services I contacted when I had raccoons around (not living in my house or yard, just coming in and digging up my garden at night) told me that when they trap they euthanize because moving wild animals to another location just doesn't work. I made the decision to live and let live.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:21 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Did you try animal control? I think it depends on where you're at if that particular office kills them or relocates them.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:24 PM

I am trying to grow veggies in my yard and they are destroying them. I want someone to get them and take them away. I tried 1 company but they say that i have to trap them.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
We had possums and got one of those traps. They are easy to set up. The traps are fairly inexpensive at Harbor Freight.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM

No i am scared of these and i don't want to trap them th

Old 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
I am trying to grow veggies in my yard and they are destroying them. I want someone to get them and take them away. I tried 1 company but they say that i have to trap them.
We paid a company to trap and remove some in our yard only to find they were quickly replaced by others. We even bought a trap of your own and relocated a few critters outside of Austin, only to find them quickly replaced. It was not a pleasant experience for us or the coons. Female racoons seemed fairly docile and sweet, one male racoon we caught was nasty, snarling and snapping at us when we go close to the cage. No one is going to do this for free, there are state laws regarding what is allowed, and any that you displace will probably be replaced by many more from your area.

Your best bet is to clean up your yard, we found some had been living under our garden shed and put wire mesh around the base of it, and do not leave anything eatable outside. We had been putting out lots of bird seed.

In the long run it will probably be cheaper to fence the area where you grow veggies, including chicken wire over the top.

And accept the fact that we share this world with other living creatures that all have a need to eat and procreate. If you need to isolate a part of the world for your use, its your obligation to do so.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:51 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
I agree completely with CaptRn: It will end up being useless to trap the raccoons. Make your garden inaccessible, eliminate food and shelter. That's the only way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin