Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:00 PM

29 posts, read 88,997 times

Advertisements

The lifestyle will defefinately appeal to you if you enjoyed South America. As far as the 80% gated communities mentioned earlier in this thread is absolutely nonsense. West and Central Boca does have it's share of communities (not necessesarily all gated) but you would want to be in EAST- Boca Raton, meaning East of I-95 which puts you inside the city limits and you'll be able to enjoy everything the city has to offer. My favorite area is the South Eastern part of town, a very nice established neighborhood called Palm Beach Farms. Large lush lots, Blue Ribbon schools, close to the beaches (which are all city parks and about 10 to 15 minutes drive) and close to downtown. Very family oriented neighborhood with a park in the middle, many of our neighbors have been there for many many years. With the current real estate market you should be able to find 3 to 4 bedroom house around $600,000. Houses are a little older but most have been completely updated. The city offers a lot of activities for kids (it has it's own rec. department with tons of activities for kids) excellent library, a green market in the winter etc etc. www.ci.boca-raton.fl.us
We moved here from Miami about 11 years ago when my husband was transferred and have enjoyed it. Being Brazilian, I'm sure that you would miss the ocean terribly if you moved to Austin, TX!

As an immigration attorney you should do well and would be dealing with the US Immigration Processing Center located in West Palm Beach (30 min by car.) At least you wouldn't be affected by the economy. In fact the largest Brazillian population in South Florida is located in Deerfield Beach, which is the next town over beautiful beaches as well, but East Boca would be the place to live (much better schools) Boca still has relatively strong job growth due to the fact it has been able to attract many companies which have settled in the northern part of the city. Sunsentinel and Palm Beach Post newspapers have offices close by as well. We'll be leaving the area in 2008 as my husband is transferring, so the house is going up in the beginning of the year, but the area has been great to us.

Last edited by FLRelo; 10-30-2007 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 PM

Sorry dupe

Last edited by FLRelo; 10-30-2007 at 01:18 PM..

Old 10-30-2007, 05:02 PM

95 posts, read 452,577 times
Default Thank you, FLRelo!

You make Boca sound JUST GREAT!!! I am sure it would be perfect for us, but...

How do you feel about Hurricanes?

That is the ONLY reason we are still questioning moving to Florida, and might consider Austin instead...

Do they scare you? Do you have enough time to get out of the State by airplane, for example? Or are the airports so croweded it's a big pain, or even worse, are they CLOSED?

Thank so much for your input!

Old 10-30-2007, 05:29 PM

I have a healthy respect, but they don't scare me, it's part of life in Florida. Generally people that live very close to the coast or canals need to avacuate. At some point, during a hurricane airports do close. You usually get advance warning and you could drive north but I don't necessarily recommend that unless you are told to evacuate. I've lived in Florida for 25 years and we've never evacuated our house neither did most of my neighbors. Did go through hurricane Andrew but we made it ok. We found through the years that the older homes (concrete block close to the ground i.e. 1 story) often do better than newer construction. You have time to prepare of course, you get plenty of warning and follow the basics. Most homes have hurricane shutters and you stock up on food/batteries and wait it out. Every area has something even the north snow blizzards etc. at least you can prepare unlike elsewhere in the country with tornadoes, wild fires, earthquakes, floods etc. What happend in New Orleans with Katrina (below sea level) wouldn't happen in Florida, plus people are very informed and prepared. There is some coastal flooding of course but Boca Raton has spent an enormous amount of money on coastal restoration/erosion and most of it's beaches are parks and not developed. Florida isn't the only state that deals with hurricanes, and it doesn't seem to stop the thousands that relocate here. I'm sure there something to worry about everywhere you move to.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 PM

Default You are right, FRelo!

I was a NYC resident on September 11, 2001... so yes, you are absolutely right, everywhere you live there is always something to worry about. There is no such a thing as Paradise on Earth... We just have to be prepared the best way possible according to the circunstances, and relax...

I asked you a question on my thread on the Florida Forum regarding condos in Boca. If you have time, please check it out.

Thanks again, you've been REALLY HELPFUL!!

BTW, were are you moving to? Are you happy about it?

Old 10-31-2007, 01:18 AM

343 posts, read 1,608,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRelo View Post
I have a healthy respect, but they don't scare me, it's part of life in Florida. Generally people that live very close to the coast or canals need to avacuate. At some point, during a hurricane airports do close. You usually get advance warning and you could drive north but I don't necessarily recommend that unless you are told to evacuate. I've lived in Florida for 25 years and we've never evacuated our house neither did most of my neighbors. Did go through hurricane Andrew but we made it ok. We found through the years that the older homes (concrete block close to the ground i.e. 1 story) often do better than newer construction. You have time to prepare of course, you get plenty of warning and follow the basics. Most homes have hurricane shutters and you stock up on food/batteries and wait it out. Every area has something even the north snow blizzards etc. at least you can prepare unlike elsewhere in the country with tornadoes, wild fires, earthquakes, floods etc. What happend in New Orleans with Katrina (below sea level) wouldn't happen in Florida, plus people are very informed and prepared. There is some coastal flooding of course but Boca Raton has spent an enormous amount of money on coastal restoration/erosion and most of it's beaches are parks and not developed. Florida isn't the only state that deals with hurricanes, and it doesn't seem to stop the thousands that relocate here. I'm sure there something to worry about everywhere you move to.

http://www.rentluxuryhomes.com/Florida/boca-raton/images/br43beach4.jpg (broken link)
I would worry more about the insurance than the hurricanes...if you are insured you have no problems, as long as you have your personal effects with you. If not, you have problems.......Yes, they are very familiar with warning people and knowing the signs of one and all. I don't think you would worry so much about them once you are there already, walking on the
beautiful streets with open-aire restaurants all over, taking in the sweet
ocean breeze billowing in, and hearing the sounds of the waves quietly
breaking in the background. You see, the Ocean is like a two-faced greek
god, with a good and bad face. The hurricanes would be the bad face, but you learn how to deal with that side, which isn't too often, and then you can enjoy the Ocean Gods' good face the vast majority of the time.....The ocean gods are much more good than bad! I like the smells of the Ocean most of all,
that wonderful slightly salty, heady aroma is so wonderfully primal, it mellows
and excites at the same time! Make your peace with Poseidon, the ocean God, and you will be just fine.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Ocean Gods

Being born and raised two blocks from Copacabana Beach I am 100% familiar with the Atlantic Ocean smells and sounds, and the amazing effects that living by the beach has on you... So I agree with you, SouthWest, that there is nothing as relaxing as the ocean breeze and the sound of waves...

The only difference is that the Ocean Gods in Brazil do not have the Bad Face they do in Florida... there are NO HURRICANES in Brazil!

But we love the US, we have American Citizenship, so we want to go back home... it's been 2 years already... We miss the US so much!

So if preparing for Hurricanes and high insurance rates are the price to be home... well, we will pay for it with a big smile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: