Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:27 AM

445 posts, read 1,803,843 times

Advertisements

I am sure there are planty of things to do, I met a guy, and he said if you aren't doing "anything" in Austin, you are not looking!!!! There are lots of things, and I myself consider the big theme type parks a TREAT, LUXURY if you will, at the price they charge, it is definately a lUXURY, not entitlement!!!IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 01:00 PM

12 posts, read 31,812 times
I read through this entire thread and can feel your enthusiasm for Texas CravenClan!

You might also consider the New Braunfels area. It offers the feel/look of Dripping Springs, and nearby Canyon Lake provides boating opportunities. And while there are numerous activities available for kids and adults in the area, you're still close enough to both Austin and San Antonio for day trips.

Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 10-27-2007, 06:58 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,840,514 times
You know, come to think of it, we used a map and the GPS simultaneously. At first, I followed the GPS and it didn't always take me the best route. So, now I use one of those "main roads" maps and figure out where I want to go and let the GPS help. Sometimes I ignore its instructions because I know the general road I want to take and then it recalculates the route.

The best advice I got when I first moved to Austin was to familiarize myself with the main roads and learn the primary N-S and E-W routes. Once you know that, you can get around a little easier!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:23 PM

101 posts, read 382,614 times
Moonlady has it spot on. If you learn the major routes, I35, 290/71, Lamar/Manchaca, Congress etc.(you're getting the South Austin bias here), you'll never be far from a route that will get you where you want to be. I use a GPS, but less & less now and often find myself ignoring the instructions and using routes adjacent to the main ones.

Yes, lanes ending in a mysterious fashion occasionaly lead you off of the route you intended but its only an issue if you allow, say, 29 minutes to make a 30 minute (if all goes well) journey. If you allow 40 then all is good! I moved here from London and, trust me, navigating around Austin is a piece of cake in comparison - even after 20-odd years of driving in London.

Cravenclan, you are making a great move. If you end up in Belterra, that is some great country out there. Although we are in South Austin (which we love) we camped at Pedernales Falls a few weeks ago and drove past Belterra, you would be on top of a really stunning part of the world.

Its great to hear some positivity in this forum - it seems to have been a while!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:25 PM

7 posts, read 33,326 times
Default Great Feedback CravenClan

My wife and I moved out of the rat race of Southern Cal three years ago to Utah, but never considered Austin until now (tired of 7 months of winter). My sister lives in Houston, but we would never consider living there, so we are visiting Austin next Monday to check it out. My wife and I have a little one and another on the way, so I would like to get your opinion on the "family feel" in Dripping Springs. Did you see a lot of other families with their kids out and about? Our trip is going to be short, so would you recommend some areas over others? We want to live in a Master Planned Community with recreational opportunities (as that is what we have here in Utah). Any suggestions for a short visit would be recommended.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:50 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,171,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiUtah76 View Post
My wife and I moved out of the rat race of Southern Cal three years ago to Utah, but never considered Austin until now (tired of 7 months of winter). My sister lives in Houston, but we would never consider living there, so we are visiting Austin next Monday to check it out. My wife and I have a little one and another on the way, so I would like to get your opinion on the "family feel" in Dripping Springs. Did you see a lot of other families with their kids out and about? Our trip is going to be short, so would you recommend some areas over others? We want to live in a Master Planned Community with recreational opportunities (as that is what we have here in Utah). Any suggestions for a short visit would be recommended.
I visited DS in July house shopping. I thought it was a really nice community and family friendly. The schools are supposed to be awesome. It was kind of a haul to commute into downtown or NW Austin for work so it's not going to work out for us. If you want a little land, it's great! Belterra looks really nice.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:25 PM

701 posts, read 2,473,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
This may be a little off topic, but SW was talking about things to do in SA. I heard from a mom in my playgroup that New Braunfels has a childrens museum, and it is WAAYY better than the one here in Austin. It also has some outdoor things. Several other moms chimed in and said they had been as well, and that its sort of a hidden gem. Not many people in Austin know about it.
This is good to know! It's nice that SA isn't so far that we can't take advantage of what they have to offer.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,230 times
Schools to look at- Saint Nicholas School is a new school for children with diverse learning needs. It is for ages 4-12 and is small class sizes, very hands-on. I hear it is wonderful. Look at thesaintnicholasschool.com

Old 11-02-2007, 12:20 PM

5 posts, read 24,004 times
Girlfriend and I just got back from visiting Austin last week. We are thinking about moving from Phoenix and are checking places out.

Granted we stayed downtown. In a 5 block walk to 6th st, we got approached by at least 4 homeless people asking us for money. All of the alleys smelled like urine. We got approached by the same homeless man in the same area in the dark basically out of nowhere and he got angry after I told him politely that he gave us the EXACT same hard luck speech on Sunday night that he gave us Tues night (he needed exactly $12)
6th Street wasn't for us, although we ate at Roux, which was good. 6th street is also more people asking for money and/or people standing around doing nothing.

We also ate at Stubbs and saw a show, which was fun. I don't see how many people will buy a condo by Stubbs, that neighborhood is not that nice.

We drove around a little, luckily the rental had GPS. I thought the roads were very confusing, some dangerous - the on ramp to the freeway by the hotel was a blind hill and you have like 50 yards to merge, seems dangerous to me.

We drove down South Congress, drove up north to Cedar Park and looked at houses, went to dinner at sunset at the Oasis.

it was ok, we really wanted to like it because it sounded like a great town.
maybe a little too "weird" for me.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:05 PM

4 posts, read 13,104 times
My husband and I spent the last three days seaching out the perfect community for our family. We would be east coast relo's, not too familiar with master communities, they don't exist where we live. We loved Belterra but it seems out there, we looked at Meridian and it seems really nice, cheaper, not as nice ammenties. The Meridian at the end of Rt.1, past Circle C. How do the communities compare, schools? OUr three boys are ages 6,5, and 2. Help, so much to think about? Is Meridian closer to downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin