Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:36 AM

8 posts, read 16,152 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am newly married and my husband and I are both 22. We are looking to relocate in the next few months but we are torn between a couple different cities in NC (Raleigh, Charlotte, Cary, etc.) or in TX, specifically Austin. We want to settle down for awhile and possibly have kids wherever that may be in the next 5 or 6 years. We are coming from Colorado Springs, CO.

Words of Wisdom?

Job market?
Cost of living?
Things to do?
Family friendly?
Purchasing homes?
Family Christian churches?
Weather?
Things we should know?

This is posted in both the Texas and North Carolina forum. Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 01:47 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,549 times
My words of wisdom are that being 22. You are not going to know who are you are as a person at least until 25. You must know (as young people) the odds of your marriage lasting the long haul are slim. I'm being real as a real friend should. By the way: Welcome to Texas! As a 'half-Texan', I am not nearly as blunt as some of my more "country-raised" brethren.

Here is my list of the "Do's and Don'ts" of your move (and more):

1) Do not have children until both of you are financially-stable and at least 25, preferably 30 or 35 (where its less likely to be swayed into something disastrous because you will have your [blank] together and you will think more with your head than your heart - or your body.)

2) Read #1 again.

3) Try to pursue your passions and do not try to limit your partners' pursuits, even if it seems drive you apart. You are still young and still developing into the 'adult persons' you will be. If you really love someone, you will want him/her to become the best person they can be (hopefully with you); but, if that is not possible, then your true soulmate is still out there. As an adult, wish you loved one well, divorce, and find him!

4) Again remember #3, plus #1, esp. no babies! The reason why: You do not need to 'grow up' with your child. You will just be making more mistakes that your children will likely repeat when they are grown (and it worry you to death because being grown and having lived it: you really know better!).

5) Go to a church that is supporting of young people and understands the future battles that you will face trying to establish yourselves and each other as a couple learning how to be adults.

6) Finally, listen to your parents and try to find business mentors who will be good examples in your professional pursuits.

Remember, your lives are just beginning. The end of any era is not the end of your life, but the beginning of a even greater story. If live your lives honestly and love each other honestly (not being possessive, but respectful of your spouse's life journey): Near or far, your best days are yet to come!

Good luck and God bless!

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 03-15-2013 at 02:23 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 08:16 AM

280 posts, read 473,177 times
Yeah as a friend, and a newly married 31year old. Your life is young...save a little and have fun traveling. Your careers should naturally progress...and when you are my age...you will again THINK you know what you want.

Lots of time ahead of you here, no need to settle down in 5years. Maybe 10.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
One question to ask/answer would be WHY you feel the need to leave 'home' now? Getting you legs under you in familiar surroundings might be easier than starting from scratch in a new place.

I left my hometown within a few months of college graduation and I think things could have turned out differently if I had stayed closer to family, friends and familiar surroundings(when things got rocky, job-wise, in less than a year). Doesn't mean you can't weather the challenge; but I would ask why you feel the need to move(especially so far...800-1600 miles)

Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM

318 posts, read 670,219 times
What is driving your desire to move?

Old 03-15-2013, 01:21 PM

163 posts, read 408,719 times
I'd go with the one that gives both of you the best career opportunities. If you're looking for family-friendly and christian churches then Austin is probably a waste of money. Anywhere else in the south gives you that for half the cost.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 PM

Hi everyone,

I appreciate the heartfelt advice. Wanting to move has come from beig a military child. My hubby and I have been apart for 2 years out of our 5 year relationship. In the last 2 years I have been chasing my career and have moved twice already because of it. In the process I have learned that money doesn't buy happiness whatsoever and that I can be in a beautiful place and have nothing. I have learned that it is necessary to have a support system and to never burn bridges. Although I am only 22 years old, I have experienced a lot personally and professionally.

The desire to move is also because my family has all left CO and it's time to explore. Since I was 20 I have lived in 3 different states and had the opportunity to travel and experience different cultures. I don't think there is an age to when someone should have Holstein though. I have an idea in kind but it is ever changing. I know that I do not want Children right now or anyte soon.

I know what I am getting myself into moving around, I have done it a time or two (or 6) haha

Does this help clarify?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:55 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Do you have a job lined up in Austin? or NC? That should be the primary driver of the move. Any other differences (except Cost of Living which is likely to be higher in Austin) are minor.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
I'd go with the one that gives both of you the best career opportunities. If you're looking for family-friendly and christian churches then Austin is probably a waste of money. Anywhere else in the south gives you that for half the cost.
Austin is VERY family friendly. It is a great place to raise a family. And in spite of the liberal rep Austin has, there are many large and active Christian churches and families in Austin. No mega-churches like Houston or Dallas. But many deeply and passionate religious people live in Austin. Some of these same people are tolerant and accept the liveliness of Austin as it is.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 PM

Oh good to know about the churches. I was a little nervous for the HUGE churches. I will be looking for a job once we transfer. My husband is able to transfer anywhere and these are the places in the US that we have narrowed it down to. I work in student financial aid and can get a job at a school fairly easily (I assume). There are plenty of colleges everywhere including proprietary and private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: