Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 02:08 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times

Advertisements

Surprised I didn't see more mention of this on our forum. It confirms what we've been seeing and feeling. To put it in perspective, over 1000 people a week moved to the Austin area last year. Statesman article:

Old story, new chapter: Austin leads U.S. in growth among... | www.statesman.com

Sadly, this is how Houston was when I moved there in 1977.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 04:34 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
And nary a new road in sight. Maybe when every single major artery in the city is at a standstill for most of the day the President can declare Austin a disaster area and get some roads built here.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:40 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
And nary a new road in sight. Maybe when every single major artery in the city is at a standstill for most of the day the President can declare Austin a disaster area and get some roads built here.
I'd rather see Austin initiate a massive public transportation expansion. It's what we really need.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:51 PM

522 posts, read 657,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I'd rather see Austin initiate a massive public transportation expansion. It's what we really need.
We're trying!

Project Connect - Connecting Central Texas with High-Capacity Transit

Old 03-16-2013, 07:01 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I'm all for sensible public transport however the simple fact is the city invited in the big box stores, allowed the massive subdivisions to be built. Their wealthy pals pocketed untold millions from the development. And now all this growth is straining the roadways to the point that the entire city is about to have a stroke from the congestion they do nothing.
If they want to build a real rail system out in the suburbs that gets people where they need to go and back in reasonable time then I'm all for it.
Since that is basically a physical impossibility, in lieu of that I say, nay I demand: Build some god damn roads!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:14 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
I'm all for sensible public transport however the simple fact is the city invited in the big box stores, allowed the massive subdivisions to be built. Their wealthy pals pocketed untold millions from the development. And now all this growth is straining the roadways to the point that the entire city is about to have a stroke from the congestion they do nothing.
If they want to build a real rail system out in the suburbs that gets people where they need to go and back in reasonable time then I'm all for it.
Since that is basically a physical impossibility, in lieu of that I say, nay I demand: Build some god damn roads!
That will only encourage more growth where it does not need to be. So, we build the roads. Then what? More people live further out because the commute time is reduced. Then those new roads will be outgrown and the same people will demand more roads. Then growth will be further and further out. And the rust belt cycle of sprawl will continue.

I say expand public transportation within the city before anything else.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
The one thing I dread coming back to Austin is the traffic from lack of roads. It's simply ridiculous. Public trans would be great, but w/out new roads they'll just be stuck in the same traffic that everyone else is. Austin needs to seriously expand 35, 6 lanes both ways, expand MoPac (even w/ tolls ~I can't believe I just said that!) and at least another N-S highway and some kind of loop that actually gets done and connects unlike the two current failures present.

I love Austin, but even just typing this makes me want to reconsider my contract situation.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
The one thing I dread coming back to Austin is the traffic from lack of roads. It's simply ridiculous. Public trans would be great, but w/out new roads they'll just be stuck in the same traffic that everyone else is. Austin needs to seriously expand 35, 6 lanes both ways, expand MoPac (even w/ tolls ~I can't believe I just said that!) and at least another N-S highway and some kind of loop that actually gets done and connects unlike the two current failures present.

I love Austin, but even just typing this makes me want to reconsider my contract situation.
With a rail system and/or separated bike infrastructure, car traffic can by bypassed. The gondola idea is also an option to bypass car traffic: http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...an-we-see.html

Austin is becoming way too big to not have an efficient public transportation system. As we continue to densify, building more roads within Austin is not the only solution.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
With a rail system and/or separated bike infrastructure, car traffic can by bypassed. The gondola idea is also an option to bypass car traffic: Gondolas in Austin: creative transportation ideas emerge - Austin Business Journal

Austin is becoming way too big to not have an efficient public transportation system. As we continue to densify, building more roads within Austin is not the only solution.
Plenty of cities have efficient public transportation systems (NYC, Chicago, San Francisco) and most Americans still won't use them, opting ever still for the car. Some of our transportation enthusiasts need to admit that most Americans view public transportation through the view of social class and perceived safety, and thus will not use alternative transportation under any circumstances.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Speaking of Public Transportation, there was an article in our Hutto paper that says the City has been meeting with a transit company to get commuter rail out here on the existing track. I'd have to look at the paper to get the company's name. It wasn't Lone Star Rail or whatever the one is that wants to go from Georgetown to San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin