Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 PM

63 posts, read 127,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
It is a pretty generic strip mall type bedroom community.
I don't consider this to be true at all. I hardly ever go into Austin proper to do anything, as well as many people I know. Sure you have people commuting into Austin for their jobs, but all of the people I know in Cedar Park actually live and play here(and Round Rock). No shortage of things to do. We don't have ginormous festivals like ACL or SXSW, but you guys downtown can keep it, along with your crappy traffic, overpriced COL and exploding homeless population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenlittle View Post
Sure you have people commuting into Austin for their jobs .
no need to be defensive, this is the definition of bedroom community.

Commuter town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-18-2013, 07:21 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Quote:
no need to be defensive, this is the definition of bedroom community.

Commuter town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I agree that Cedar Park has a generic/cookie-cutter U.S.A. look for the most part, however, I don't think it falls under the definition of a bedroom community. Things like Lakeline Mall and Cedar Park Center have elevated it above that now. People from all around the Austin area will be heading to Cedar Park to see Alicia Keys in two days along with the Killers and the Postal Service this summer. Unique restaurants keep popping up there as well.

For the purpose of this thread, I do still agree that Circle C fits the Op's wishlist the best over Steiner or Cedar Park.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 AM

327 posts, read 774,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I think the rest are about a wash. Let me focus on these two. Circle C is the only one of the three with all of these - less TJ's - within fifteen minutes. There is a Starbucks and a Coffee Bean right in the center. The rest are right up Mopac or 71. For instance, Cedar Park to CM is 25 min and Steiner is 35. When TJ's opens in Rollingwood the end of the summer, it will be 20 min from Circle C, 30 from Steiner and 25 from Cedar Park.

Water rates are SUBSTANTIALLY higher in Circle C. Start at $2/gallon up to 2000 and go as high as $12.55 starting at 11,000. Steiner (WCID 17) is $1.70/gallon up to 10,000. You can use 100,000 gallons a month there and not pay as high a rate as in Circle C. Cedar Park is $3.63 up to 10,000 and then goes to $4.36 - which is less than Circle C's rate starting at 2,001 gallons.
You need to check your water figures. Do you mean per hundred? No way rates are per gallon, people would be paying more for water than their mortgage.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
I agree that when you think Circle C, this should also include Western Oaks, Legend Oaks, The Villages at Western Oaks, etc. We are all basically in the same neighborhood. When we were looking for houses, we would have accepted any of these areas, and were just looking for the right house. Within this area, you will find a lot of variety in the size and age of houses, size of lots, closeness to amenities, but all of the area is attractive, lots of trees, safe, good schools and city services.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansZ View Post
You need to check your water figures. Do you mean per hundred? No way rates are per gallon, people would be paying more for water than their mortgage.
Those are per 1,000 gallons.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
cedar park is an affordably priced city that is close to all the north austin tech employers. It is a pretty generic strip mall type bedroom community. In the past the housing has been 100-200k so the population reflects that.
I'm not sure how that offers much information. Places like Twin Creeks and Ranch @ Brushy Creek, with many homes over $400K and even little Buttercup Creek @ +-$300K could suggest a ?different population? . I'll bet you could have bought a home for under $200k in Circle C "In the past".
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenlittle View Post
I don't consider this to be true at all. I hardly ever go into Austin proper to do anything, as well as many people I know. Sure you have people commuting into Austin for their jobs, but all of the people I know in Cedar Park actually live and play here(and Round Rock). No shortage of things to do. We don't have ginormous festivals like ACL or SXSW, but you guys downtown can keep it, along with your crappy traffic, overpriced COL and exploding homeless population.
Shhh....don't tell EVERYbody
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I agree that Cedar Park has a generic/cookie-cutter U.S.A. look for the most part, however, I don't think it falls under the definition of a bedroom community. Things like Lakeline Mall and Cedar Park Center have elevated it above that now. People from all around the Austin area will be heading to Cedar Park to see Alicia Keys in two days along with the Killers and the Postal Service this summer. Unique restaurants keep popping up there as well.

For the purpose of this thread, I do still agree that Circle C fits the Op's wishlist the best over Steiner or Cedar Park.
Agreed...As I mentioned w-a-y back, Cedar Park is a CITY...hard to paint the whole 17 square miles and 55k people with one brush. Plenty of 'cookie cutter' neighborhoods in most parts of the Austin area, certainly in the areas mentioned by the OP.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Those are per 1,000 gallons.
Too late...damage has been done. The news reports will be rife with 2-4-TWELVE DOLLAR a gallon water rates . Good news is folks might think twice before flocking here and we can drop to maybe the third or fourth most desirable area in the universe.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 AM

675 posts, read 1,904,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I agree that when you think Circle C, this should also include Western Oaks, Legend Oaks, The Villages at Western Oaks, etc. We are all basically in the same neighborhood. When we were looking for houses, we would have accepted any of these areas, and were just looking for the right house. Within this area, you will find a lot of variety in the size and age of houses, size of lots, closeness to amenities, but all of the area is attractive, lots of trees, safe, good schools and city services.
This poster speaks truth. I would look in all of these areas - Villages of Western Oaks, Western Oaks, Legend Oaks, Meridian also, and Circle C. The whole southwest area is all great, and just pick the house you like the best. For me personally being closer in to downtown while finding a balance with a neighborhood with tons of kids and a great school and walkable amenities was key.. so we went for Villages of Western Oaks. But it's all great, and if you find a house you like on a street you like, it's basically all good.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:03 AM

23 posts, read 71,807 times
Thanks so much for the insight....We are going to drive thru all three areas next week.As if now it sounds like the south west area near or in Circle C is a really good option....All 3 areas sound great,more similar than different.

What would the property tax difference be on a $300,000 house in all three?
From what I looked up online it seems like Steiner has higher property taxes than Circle C.How does Cedar Park compare?

What are the HOA fees in Circle C and Steiner? How do the amenities differ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin