Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,395 times

Advertisements

I've been shopping at the Whole Foods on 6th and Lamar pretty frequently for the past two years. This year, and specifically within the last few months I've documented a decline in the quality of the produce and the attitude of the staff.

Allow me to elaborate.

When I first started shopping at Whole Foods there was an abundance of fresh, organic, in-season produce to choose from. I was delighted that I was able to have access to such quality and was willing to pay a premium for it.

Now, I find that the majority of produce stocked is conventional (not organic), not particularly fresh, and more expensive than comparable produce at HEB. Why should I pay more for something that is equal in quality to, and many times, less so, just because it comes from Whole Foods?

Furthermore, the food "kiosks", which used to provide interesting, fresh faire, have seemingly declined into thoughtless, tasteless, and unimaginative dishes which leave much to be desired.

On a recent visit, one particular kiosk had food which looked liked it had been out for two days because several dishes were covered in dry crust.

Perhaps what I find most disturbing is that a number of employees seem to have a chip on their shoulder and act as though they are doing you a favor just by answering question. Of course, there are many wonderful employees who are pleasant and professional (I'm friends with a couple), but overall, I have recently been unimpressed with the service.

Has anyone else noticed a declining trend at this store? And if so, why do you think that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,970,541 times
I've shopped at Whole Foods 3 times in my life so I can't really judge in terms of a decline in quality.

I just think the company is way too corporate now. Wheatsville Co-op it is for me!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,182,148 times
Yes, but I noticed a decline in Whole Foods long before the past couple of years. It started when the founders hired a guy from Big Grocery to run the company, years ago, it became all about the money,, and it lost what made it special. I stopped shopping there years ago because I found what I needed elsewhere for better prices with better atmosphere.

So, no, it's not your imagination, but it's a continuation of a downhill slide that's been going on for a couple of decades now.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 PM

554 posts, read 1,056,177 times
I like their bread, tacos, and cheese selection. I also buy the bulk spinach and maybe those Inka Chips. That's about it.

The service is usually good, but some of them are really bad (and some are way too friendly). I don't like how many customers there walk straight at me and don't move to their side of the aisle. It's most prevalent there.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM

198 posts, read 396,177 times
I used to frequent WF multiple times a week for lunch when I worked downtown. About 6 months ago I was getting food from their hot buffett area and saw a very long hair sticking out of a container of whipped sweet potatoes. I immediately found an employee who worked in that area and told him about it. He simply shrugged his shoulders and said "what do you want me to do about it?". I was completely dumbfounded. I told him he should remove the potatoes off the line. He then proceeded to stir the hair into the sweet potatoes where it was no longer visible.

I was VERY upset to say the least and found a manager who immediately went and removed the potatoes when I told him. I'm glad the manager had some sense but that was the last time I entered a WF. The manager offered to comp my lunch- I had a sandwhich and container of salad in my hand when I approached the manager. I told him no thank you and handed him my food and walked out.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,547,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaday View Post
I'm glad the manager had some sense but that was the last time I entered a WF.
If I stopped going to every place that employed $11 per hour slackers then I'd never be able to go anywhere around here (except maybe Rudy's). I'm not a huge fan of Whole Foods by any means, but the fact that the manager acted upon your request and offered you a free lunch should count for something in my opinion.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 AM

What does someone making $11 an hour have to do with anything? Just because you don't make a lot of money means you can't be a decent human being and do the right thing?

It wasn't the employee's fault that the food needed to be removed. I'm pretty sure WF has policies in place for this type of thing. In the same amount of time the guy took to stir the hair into the food, he could have removed it just like his manager did.

There are places I don't eat at because I've had bad experiences, saw unsanitary conditions, had bad service etc. Should I just say, "Oh well, the cook in the back is an $8 an hour slacker and could care less about getting my order right. But since the waiter is nice and removed the charge from my bill, I'll just keep going back anyway."

Old 03-19-2013, 10:22 AM

15,237 posts, read 35,424,886 times
I think what he is saying is that that could happen anywhere the employees are not motivated (by money, in his example). Yes, it is disturbing, but wherever you last ate could have done the same thing.....

Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM

1,556 posts, read 2,383,011 times
If you want nice organic produce at a very reasonable price, try the Natural Grocers on Guadalupe. They are my mainstay these days. And not pretentious either.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I think what he is saying is that that could happen anywhere the employees are not motivated (by money, in his example). Yes, it is disturbing, but wherever you last ate could have done the same thing.....
Yes I know that. Unless you're preparing food yourself, you have no idea what's going into it. The OP asked about people's experiences with Whole Foods and I gave mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin