Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 06:32 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times

Advertisements

Yeah, people are crazy about UT here but the city does not revolve around it at all. It seems that the larger and more diversified Austin's population/economy become, the less important UT is in the big picture.

For the record, I was born and raised in Texas and am NOT a UT fan. I get so sick of the burnt orange this and that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 07:09 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,058 times
Default UT Thing

I am an Aggie and my hubby is a Red Raider. We never even considered the UT thing when we moved here. It is a little different, but in a fun way. Our three year old came home from daycare and did the hook 'em horns, and we thought it was great. (Though I did immediately teach her gig 'em!)

I think Austin is like most places and things, you can find fault in the little things or enjoy the little things. Everytime we have out of town guests, they all want to move here. Something about seeing people outside running, biking, and just hanging in the parks is great. Also what other towns in Texas have a "Leslie" hanging around. I can be having a bad day, and seeing him walk around in that thong always makes me smile.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:06 PM

90 posts, read 185,376 times
Are you kidding me jread? I think I see more burnt orange now than I did even 20 years ago. "I get so sick of the burnt orange..." God forbid people get excited and root for the local team. Jesus, I can't understand why someone would do such a thing. Do you even have a team you support? I don't care if people come to Austin liking another team...go ahead and root for your team. Just let us Horns fans have our fun too for crying out loud.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:33 AM

343 posts, read 1,608,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I don't know anyone who jumped ship that quickly. Also, the city is really not centered around UT. If you live near the University maybe it is but I would say that the comments are not accurate at all.
You're right.....I think I was trying to convey something else and it just came
out right. I just mean that it takes a few, 2-3 months before you move past your illusions of what Austin was all about.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
I wondered about that too..... ( I will be the newcomer!!) I saw some shirts, not over whelming amounts though. And i truly think it depends on your life...for us, we are raising little ones, so downtown nightlife is definatley not a concern for us! That is like the Gas Lamp Distict in San Diego, full of young college types, but when was the last time i was there?? Uh, 10 years ago when i first met my husband, (and i was young)would i go there now, NO...I'd love a nice dinner and early to bed!!

I look forward to a new different life, and i think it all depends on an individual situation!!
Don't let anyone discourage you, craven, including me. You can make of the move whatever you will. I think you will be okay since you already have a family unit, so its just a matter of fitting in with the kids, other families, and the city itself. For me, another problem is I've never lived in a city that didn't have a major league team and 3-4 major museums. Even Indianapolis, the same saize, had two pro teams, and lots of museums. Like you, I can live without the teams and museums, but the traffic, really bad road-grid layout, and the general frat-college kid atmosphere surrounding a large swath of the city, along with the great focus on the University, took some getting used to. I don't hate UT, saw the game with nebraska today(thanks scott from dell for the tickets!), but, partly because of the lack of pro teams, they REALLY make a big thing out of UT in Austin. Indeed, the city is big enough to never go near it if you stay in the NW tech side of town, but, if you plan on doing anything of interest, there is a great chance that you will find yourself in the midst of a lot of college kids/young twenty-somethings. The asians that live/work in the NW and N parts of the city are not particularly friendly as well. God knows I've tried, but its hard just to get a hello out of them.
That being said, Austin is just a mid-sized city like any other mid-sized city, like Columbus, Indianapolis, Nashville, Charlotte, etc. It's regional, makes no pretensions on not being so, and is very happy to be in its own "world", so to speak. If you can deal with Austin on its own terms, you'll do fine there. Its just a great mid-sized city, for what it's worth, and not only won't ever be a major city, but has no pretensions or leanings towards such, and is quite happy to be where and as it is. At this point, thats good enough for me.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I think (I could be wrong) that the OP was mostly referring to local sports coverage of EVERYTHING LONGHORNS-ALL THE TIME! Coming from cities that have multiple teams, pro and college alike it does seem provincial. As someone who does like sports but didn't go to UT, I'm pretty ambivalent towards the Longhorns but I think game days are a fun thing to observe. Other cities with limited or w/o other teams are the same: Columbus, Madison etc.
Good point. Columbus is a good comparison we've seen often on this board with Austin. Both state capitols, with a major state university in the middle, that leans toward tech, and same size. One of the reasons that they got the NHL team there were people getting tired of hearing about the Buckeyes 24/7. Twange being from Cleveland, and I from Chicago, it just takes time to get used to it. I heard the same thing from folks from Dallas, with all four pro teams. I go to the games often enough too. I love pro and college sports. I thing the sat. afternoons in the fall, when the drums are beating, and the cheerleaders are jumping, at the football games, are just classic americana moments. That being said, OOOOOOHHHHH MAAAAAAAAANNN, it takes some getting used to to hear UT news every day on sports, and on regular news often enough as well. I do think it time Austin gets a pro team, but we have had enough posts on that already with my feelings on that..........until that, just love it....UT......live ...UT......24/7........everyday........you're getting sleeeeeeepyyyieeee....

Last edited by southwest1230; 10-28-2007 at 01:12 AM..

Old 10-28-2007, 01:54 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1230 View Post
until that, just love it....UT......live ...UT......24/7........everyday........you're getting sleeeeeeepyyyieeee....
Ha! Hilarious! I admit, I get annoyed when I see the Longhorns head coach having a Q&A broadcasted EVERY night on the local news. I mean jeez, pro sports don't even do that.

Sunday
Reporter: So coach, what went wrong?
Coach Brown: Well, blah, blah, blah...
Monday
Reporter:So coach, what else went wrong?
Coach Brown: Well, same thing I said yesterday.
Tuesday
Reporter: So coach, how about the game this week?
Coach Brown: Well, blah, blah, blah...
Wednesday
Coach Brown: Well, same thing I said yesterday.
Thursday
Coach Brown: Well, same thing I told you two days ago.
Friday
Reporter: So coach, y'all ready for tomorrow?
Coach Brown: Uh, well that's why we play the games.
Saturday
Game Day
Sunday
Repeat cycle.

Some folks just can't get enough!

Old 10-28-2007, 09:39 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
UT belongs to all of Texas not just Austin, itl like the state government there it belongs to all of Texas

Old 10-28-2007, 11:06 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Imaterry's right, and what's more, all that would happen if we got a pro team of some sort, is that we'll hear 24-7 coverage of that team "all the time" instead of UT. And I imagine there might be some people who have a problem with that as well.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:55 PM

701 posts, read 2,481,812 times
I do trip out on this. I'm not at all a sports person. Rumor is it that once you see a game, you're hooked (no pun intended. ok maybe a little. wait, longhorns...maybe a lot).

What is a trip is how you can buy the UT gear anywhere. I mean they have longhorns branded coolers and towels at HEB, among many, many other things. I know there have to be some other teams in Texas that are pro but you don't fine their gear to be so ubiquitous.

Not a bad thing at all, just something I've not encountered before (even though I have a family member who went to USC). I think it's neat to have something like that which is such a strong community bond. There is also some evidence of Aggies in Austin like our neighbor who has a big sign at their house. But they've not been egged or TP'd so they must be ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin