Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 01:25 PM

26 posts, read 41,648 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of putting in an offer on a home in Lost Creek, anything specific I should ask concerning this specific neighborhood? Or should have an inspector check? The last home I purchased flooded the second week I lived in it, so would like to be very thorough this time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 01:42 PM

499 posts, read 1,306,234 times
Annexation by the City of Austin is planned to happen in about 2 years. I don't know if you saw the Vote Prop 1 signs scattered around, but there are issues regarding local control once that happens. Basically the neighborhood association wants to set up a "limited district" to replace some of the responsibilities and powers that the MUD has now, the idea being the district board will keep local control over greenbelts, parks, deed restrictions, etc. If that doesn't pass, then everything will be managed by the city like any other part of Austin, which can be good or bad depending on your view. I don't know how the vote will go, but I imagine it will pass. Anyway just one uncertainty you might consider.

It's a lovely neighborhood. The only thing I would add is Lost Creek Blvd gets a lot of traffic all day long, so the farther you are from that the better.

Last edited by owlman; 04-11-2013 at 02:17 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 02:33 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Have you had any problems finding something in Lost Creek? The inventory seems very low right now.

I would echo what owlman said regarding annexation, Limited District, etc. Just might want to be aware of that. When the city annexation does come that will mean higher property taxes and water rates (for most users, the lowest level users may actually see a decrease).

What was said about Lost Creek blvd is accurate, it does get very busy. Homes right on the boulevard still seem to sell well, but just be aware of the traffic and expect to pay a lower price for one right on that street. Also there are some new garden homes/detached condos being built right at the entrance. I'm not sure if you would be interested in something like that, but they are called Lost Creek Views I think. They will have a little private drive off LC, downtown views (from the top story, anyway).

As far as special things to look for: If you are buying on a hillside, of course keep an eye out for drainage issues. If you are buying backing to a greenbelt, just be aware of where your property line ends because you will not be allowed to trim trees beyond that (that will be either the MUD/LD/or city of Austin land). Also understand that the homes that back to greenbelts will have more critters, so you may be spending more on pest control. And no outdoor cats or small dogs! They will become coyote food. Be aware of the water treatment plant, and understand that if you are close to the low water bridge, there will be loads of people there on the weekends to play in Barton Creek.

Older homes, like the ones in Lost Creek, sometimes aren't very energy efficient. So look up past energy usage and perhaps make a plan for improving the efficiency.

Other than those relatively minor things, it's very hard to go wrong in Lost Creek. A very nice neighborhood with views, hills, trees, Barton Creek, close-in location, Eanes, country club, etc. A unique combination of most of the factors which ensure great resale in Austin. Residents are laid back for the Westlake area, and many I have met are long-time Austinites who were well aware of the specialness of the place long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin