U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 PM

8 posts, read 18,551 times

Advertisements

Hello Group, First time poster, but I have lurked for a few weeks. My wife and 12 and 16 y.o. kids will be moving to Austin area soon and we have settled on the west side due to love of hill country and hiking. These 2 ISD's appear to be in good shape. We can probably go 350K on house, possibly more depending on sale of current home. I will be commuting the Arboretum area in Austin, so very interested in anyone that has personal experience there. Would really appreciate any input on:

1. General feel for either area
2. Experience with school district
3. Rough estimate or comparison in insurance/tax rates
4. Specific subdivisions to check out/avoid
5. Commute in to Austin details

I realize that's a lot of info requested, but any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve J.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,809,302 times
All of it really won't matter, since you'll be spending 3 hours per day in your car.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:39 PM

195 posts, read 249,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
All of it really won't matter, since you'll be spending 3 hours per day in your car.
Not really. There some areas in Lake Travis ISD that are only 30 min away (with traffic).

Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
Not really. There some areas in Lake Travis ISD that are only 30 min away (with traffic).
True. You have one tiny pocket at General Williamson and 620. You can make 30ish minutes on most good days - 45 is much more realistic.

OP - there's no material difference between the schools in those areas.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:08 PM

7,205 posts, read 19,268,910 times
No material difference? Lake Travis' entire district is Exemplary. Dripping is not. Yes, Dripping has good schools, but LT is viewed significantly higher in academic and sports.

Lake Pointe is also an area where it would be under 30 minutes, and the main neighborhood that would be under $350k. You could go into Lakeway like Apache Shores or Comanche Trail if you like eclectic neighborhoods, but your commute will be longer going the 620 to 2222 way instead of Bee Caves to 360 way.

Taxes are all over the board. There is no set tax for each city or school district. Each neighborhood has its own tax rate, so you'll need to narrow things down first. Mainly, Bee Cave taxes are the lowest in the area, except some far out Dripping land outside city limits.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
No material difference? Lake Travis' entire district is Exemplary. Dripping is not. Yes, Dripping has good schools, but LT is viewed significantly higher
Says the realtor pimping properties in LTISD. If you can make it from LPES to the Arboreteum area in 30 minutes in rush hour, I want a ride on that helicopter.

The delta between educational experience/output from LTISD middle and high schools, vs DSISD is negligible at best. And, the OP isn't even looking at a district, they should be looking at about 5 schools. (MS and HS only)

That said - if you're dead set between those two areas. Dripping Springs would be insane to consider. NW Austin also has excellent options in your price range. Heck - even Steiner would be better than living clear the f out in Bee Caves trying to make that drive every day.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:33 PM

13,719 posts, read 27,232,940 times
Quote:
Says the realtor pimping properties in LTISD. If you can make it from LPES to the Arboreteum area in 30 minutes in rush hour, I want a ride on that helicopter.

The delta between educational experience/output from LTISD middle and high schools, vs DSISD is negligible at best. And, the OP isn't even looking at a district, they should be looking at about 5 schools. (MS and HS only)

That said - if you're dead set between those two areas. Dripping Springs would be insane to consider. NW Austin also has excellent options in your price range. Heck - even Steiner would be better than living clear the f out in Bee Caves trying to make that drive every day.
I'm not a realtor. I leave the Nitro swim center on SH71 most mornings at 7:10 a.m. and I work 1 mile north of the Arboretum off Jollyville Rd. I am in my office most mornings at 7:45 a.m.. I have been making this drive for more than a decade and it hasn't changed much.

As for the schools, DS HS is a fine school. But LTHS has more curriculum, better facilities, better extracurriculars, better known by colleges, and higher scores in every category.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:51 PM

7,205 posts, read 19,268,910 times
Quote:
Says the realtor pimping properties in LTISD.
I don't pimp properties in any one district. I sell all over. Just today, sold a house in South Austin as well as in Steiner. Two completely different districts. The OP asked for differences. LT offers a LOT more than Dripping as pointed out above.

And yes, you can get to the Arboretum in 30-40 minutes, easy. Did it just yesterday, in 25 minutes. So many people who don't live out here are scared of the traffic and the unknown. Drive it a few times, and you'll see it's very possible.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:40 PM

326 posts, read 591,868 times
Everything Falconhead West and Hoffdano have said has been accurate.. The reason why? Because they both live in the area that is being asked about.

There are way too many posters on here who talk about things that they really have no personal experience or knowledge of. Anyone who says DSISD and LTISD are the same doesn't know what they are talking about.

Dripping Springs is smaller and a little more rural with average extra curriculars and okay academics. Lake Travis is bigger, more suburban with outstanding extra curriculars and some of the top academics in the Austin area. Also, LTHS is getting rid of the class rank system outside of the Top 10% starting next school year just like Westlake did a couple of years ago. Only a few school districts throughout the state have done this - Carroll ISD, Coppell ISD, Highland Park ISD, Eanes ISD and now LTISD. This is proof that LT is significantly more competitive academically than Dripping Springs.

People, please think before you post..

Last edited by LakeTravisAlum; 04-11-2013 at 11:48 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 PM

440 posts, read 606,481 times
I'll think. Why not Austin ISD? I have one kid who's been through LASA and another who'll probably go the fine arts route. Their education has been top-notch. I'm very fond of Highland Park Elementary, and you can live out 2222 and still be in the district. If you can choose precisely what time you commute to work, you *might* be able to make it from the Lake Travis area to the Arboretum area in half an hour, but you are then stuck half an hour at best from home and your kids' school. How can you be an involved parent? attend parent-teacher conferences, or middle-of-the-day events? Your teenagers need *you* more than a protected exurban school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin