Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 04:00 PM

29 posts, read 44,671 times

Advertisements

After much consideration, my family has decided that renting a home for a year or 2 is probably our best option... until we get a feel for the area and decide exactly where we want to buy a home. We want a single family home, with a yard for our 4 young kids, and we have an 11-year-old English bulldog that is about 45 lbs. We want to live in Cedar Park, looking for at least 3BR (preferably 4), 2BA, under $1800/mo. Craigslist does not seem to be a great place to look... Seems like slim pickings. Are there other sites to check? Realtor.com seemed a bit better. Do you think it would be easy or difficult to find something within my parameters? Are single family homes for rent difficult to find? We are excellent tenants and always treat our rental homes as if they were our own. Do you need to "jump on it" as soon as a house goes up for rent? We need something for mid-August right before school starts... When would be the best time to get serious about looking? My husband is living and working in Austin now, but I would like to make a trip there for house hunting. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 PM

658 posts, read 2,000,319 times
zillow . com also shows rentals.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,874,387 times
The rental market is at around 97% occupied right now, SF homes are going to go fast. I see only one listed on Trulia in Cedar Park that allows small dogs, 34 if you have no pets, sounds high to me. I don't know if Trulia reliable or not I have heard some negativity about it. But yes I do think you need to jump in as soon as you see something that works for you.

Cedar Park Homes For Rent — Trulia.com

You may need to expand your search to include other communities in that part of town. The market is going to be even more competitive if you wait until right before school starts.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,035,290 times
Homes are generally available about 30 days in advance (the amount of notice that tenants give when not renewing a lease), it is too early to see what will be available in August. BUT SF homes in Austin rent very very fast (especially well-priced, large homes, with good schools that allow pets), so if you see something you like, you need to see it and sign without waiting!

Get a realtor or locator to help you.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 PM

327 posts, read 771,411 times
We rented in Cedar Park Town Center when we first moved down here and they had a lot of rentals in that neighborhood for your price range. We rented an 1800 sq. ft 4 bedroom for $1600 and we had a 20 lb dog. After we closed on the house we had built we let the landlord know that we'd be out a month early and he was able to get a new tenant within a week and refunded us three weeks of rent.

We used a realtor when we were looking to lease. My wife and I flew out for two days to find a place, so we were in a hurry. Our realtor showed us about a dozen in a day, then the following week we did all the paperwork and paid the deposits remotely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin