Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,363,499 times

Advertisements

People complain about the Red Line, but I've never seen the problem with it--it brings people downtown using a previously unoccupied ROW. That's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 PM

251 posts, read 396,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Besides, if leaving 2 by 2 the whole way is so easy and feasible, why was the 2000 rail plan intending to remove lanes? I have it on good authority this was the plan (see, I can do it too

Okay, maybe not so reliable, but Mike Dahmus has repeatedly claimed he was involved in the process, and that the plan included removing lanes.
AUSTIN Transportation Thread - Page 140 - SkyscraperPage Forum
and
The Overhead Wire: Austin Route Choice Part 3: The Guadalupe/Lamar Alignment
Let's stay consistent. You didn't say "removing lanes". You said 3 of the 4 would have to go.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:05 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,962,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
Let's stay consistent. You didn't say "removing lanes". You said 3 of the 4 would have to go.
I am being consistent. Follow those links:

"(bringing Guadalupe down to one lane - not one lane each way, but one lane TOTAL from 27th to 30th)"

Old 04-17-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I told you, I tried to google it and nothing's coming up. I'm not claiming you made it up, but how can we discuss a study I can't even read (unless you provide a link).
If you want to see the actual studies you may have to do more than type something into Google. Just saying. I never claimed to have them myself. I was very clear that I was quoting someone else who I consider to be "a very knowledgeable source", and who I do not believe just pulled those three studies out of their ass. But I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, which I'm pretty sure would be a waste off time.

The important point here is that there have been multiple studies done on that corridor that, apparently, refute your statement that 3 off 4 lanes would need to be removed. That's why I posted what I consider to be good evidence that the studies have been done. I was never expecting to go over them with you point by point. If you want to see them before you will be convinced that they A exist, and B refute your statement, well then that's on you.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I was very clear that I was quoting someone else who I consider to be "a very knowledgeable source"
And I asked you to link/name them.

Quote:
That's why I posted what I consider to be good evidence that the studies have been done.
Secondhand, anonymous hearsay isn't evidence.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
And I asked you to link/name them.

Secondhand, anonymous hearsay isn't evidence.
If this individual wanted to get into an anonymous internet pissing match they'd be here. You and I are the one's who enjoy that kind of thing.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I am being consistent. Follow those links:

"(bringing Guadalupe down to one lane - not one lane each way, but one lane TOTAL from 27th to 30th)"
His hand drawn map shows a station being placed smack dab in the middle of that 27th the 29th stretch, with northbound traffic being diverted to Hemphill. Surely you can see other possibilities there. I've seen other options mentioned that are currently in place in other cities. One in particular has one dedicated lane and one shared. "Down to one lane" is not all there is.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I've seen other options mentioned that are currently in place in other cities. One in particular has one dedicated lane and one shared. "Down to one lane" is not all there is.
What works in other cities won't necessarily work in Austin. I can see how that would work if it never backs up both directions (north-south) but I don't think that applies to Guadalupe.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
The important point here is that there have been multiple studies done on that corridor that, apparently, refute your statement that 3 off 4 lanes would need to be removed.
None of which seem to be online (or even mention of them having been done). And with no one even willing to go on record attesting to their contents or existence.

While I have linked to an "expert" (at least referred to as such by the Statesman) who does go on record claiming that removing 3 of the lanes was necessary.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,363,499 times
I've never understood why people obsessing over that section never address the real answer--imminent domain of the Taco Shack and service station in the north and a portion of Dirty's, Whataburger, and the building with Magic Wok on the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin