Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
I've never understood why people obsessing over that section never address the real answer--imminent domain of the Taco Shack and service station in the north and a portion of Dirty's, Whataburger, and the building with Magic Wok on the south.
Because it both increases the cost and slows down the project tremendously (a price is offered, the landowner responds with a price 10X, cue lawsuits, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM

251 posts, read 398,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
None of which seem to be online (or even mention of them having been done). And with no one even willing to go on record attesting to their contents or existence.

While I have linked to an "expert" (at least referred to as such by the Statesman) who does go on record claiming that removing 3 of the lanes was necessary.
I've emailed Hamilton Associates asking for a copy of the study, and will work on the others.

You specifically noted "the 2000 data" when making your claim about closing 3 of 4 lanes. I have the following:

"I do have with me the Initial Analysis Report — Executive Summary, performed by PB for CMTA, report dated 7 Aug. 2000 (hardcopy only). This is not the full engineering study, but it does provide details of alignment options under consideration for the measure that was presented to voters in Nov. 2000.

The Executive Summary does give some information on what engineers proposed for the alignment segments in question — i.e., railroad ROW at Airport, down Lamar then Guadalupe (and Nueces or San Antonio) to MLK.

• Airport to Koenig — "Because of projected traffic demands, the City of Austin plans to widen Lamar in this section, allowing for the incorporation of the at-grade [LRT] alignment within widening plans."

• Koenig to 29th St. — "property may need to be acquired along the entire line length, most probably along the west side of Guadalupe Street. It may also be possible to remove parking and narrow sidewalks to avoid property acquisition except for areas immediately adjacent to stations."

• 29th St. to MLK — Several options were considered. The one adhering most closely to the Guadalupe alignment proposed placing N-bound track on Guadalupe and S-bound track on Nueces, then San Antonio, presumably at 24th St.

In my view, San Antonio is a poor choice; somehow transitioning to either Guadalupe or into the continuation of Nueces would be preferable. In fact, widening Guadalupe in the stretch from 29th to 24th is not out of the question. OR reducing general traffic to 2 lanes. Or interlaced track (permitting one-directional operation at a time) in this relatively short section.

Lyndon"

Lyndon made the comments above, and the ones I posted earlier.

This is Lyndon - Lyndon Henry | Railway Age

Austin LRT plan criticized ... by rail advocates | Railway Age

Does that count as an expert going "on record attesting to their contents or existence."?

Last edited by steve78757; 04-17-2013 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
I've emailed Hamilton Associates asking for a copy of the study, and will work on the others.

You specifically noted "the 2000 data" when making your claim about closing 3 of 4 lanes. I have the following:

"I do have with me the Initial Analysis Report — Executive Summary, performed by PB for CMTA, report dated 7 Aug. 2000 (hardcopy only). This is not the full engineering study, but it does provide details of alignment options under consideration for the measure that was presented to voters in Nov. 2000.

The Executive Summary does give some information on what engineers proposed for the alignment segments in question — i.e., railroad ROW at Airport, down Lamar then Guadalupe (and Nueces or San Antonio) to MLK.

• Airport to Koenig — "Because of projected traffic demands, the City of Austin plans to widen Lamar in this section, allowing for the incorporation of the at-grade [LRT] alignment within widening plans."

• Koenig to 29th St. — "property may need to be acquired along the entire line length, most probably along the west side of Guadalupe Street. It may also be possible to remove parking and narrow sidewalks to avoid property acquisition except for areas immediately adjacent to stations."

• 29th St. to MLK — Several options were considered. The one adhering most closely to the Guadalupe alignment proposed placing N-bound track on Guadalupe and S-bound track on Nueces, then San Antonio, presumably at 24th St.

In my view, San Antonio is a poor choice; somehow transitioning to either Guadalupe or into the continuation of Nueces would be preferable. In fact, widening Guadalupe in the stretch from 29th to 24th is not out of the question. OR reducing general traffic to 2 lanes. Or interlaced track (permitting one-directional operation at a time) in this relatively short section.

Lyndon"

Lyndon made the comments above, and the ones I posted earlier.

This is Lyndon - Lyndon Henry | Railway Age

Austin LRT plan criticized ... by rail advocates | Railway Age

Does that count as an expert going "on record attesting to their contents or existence."?
Thank you.

As I said, I certainly don't claim to have been involved in the design process, but the only person who claims to have been has stated multiple times that the 3/4 reduction was not only the chosen option, but the only option.

I will question, however, if things were really this much in flux and doubt (not knowing the alignment, not knowing if property would need to be acquired or not) at the actual time of the vote in November. It seems that would be something you'd need to know (if you were spending millions to acquire property) before putting a project with a pricetag in front of voters.

I'm also not sure where all the parking that could be removed along Guadalupe/Lamar from 29th to Koenig is.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Because it both increases the cost and slows down the project tremendously (a price is offered, the landowner responds with a price 10X, cue lawsuits, etc.)
If it was three lots it wouldn't slow down anything. They could have them condemned and in a matter of months.

Imagine the process by which Californian has to go through to build HSR from SF to LA - that will take years of efforts.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
If it was three lots it wouldn't slow down anything. They could have them condemned and in a matter of months.
I think you underestimate the effects of beauracracy. Especially in Texas, which at the state level is very anti-eminent domain (and which recently put even further restrictions on it, House passes eminent domain bill - Austin Business Journal )

Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
I think you underestimate the effects of beauracracy. Especially in Texas, which at the state level is very anti-eminent domain (and which recently put even further restrictions on it, House passes eminent domain bill - Austin Business Journal )
Dude, I've been involved in many eminent domain proceedings. A handful of lots, even contested, doesn't take that long. Nothing that would hold up construction which will take years to plan, engineer, contract, and implement

Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,758 times
Exacly, Komeht. There's no real basis to contend on--its virtually a textbook case of why eminent domain exists.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 AM

227 posts, read 366,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
I agree with what you are saying about Riverside. It's a shame we'll never get to see that. In my opinion starting with Mueller will doom it before it gets off the ground, or doom after only that phase. I believe that for reasons related to public relations, running an effective campaign against the opposition, and building much needed, city-wide, enthusiasm for light rail on par with what we saw in 2000.
I guess this is where I don't follow you. I get that G/L is the best starter line and agree. I get that you think that it has the best, and perhaps only, chance of passing. I don't get that you personally will vote against any plan that isn't G/L.

You agree with me about Riverside. The alignment that we think is the likely proposal still serves the Capital complex, UT, the med school, connects up with the Red Line at Hancock center (hopefully spurring a TOD there) and Mueller. I can't see how that's not a decent line, even if it's not the BEST possible line.

It should also be noted when talking about the politics - UT wants the eastern alignment, as I understand it, not the one along the Drag. They are not a bit player in this politically. A route which UT is actively supporting has an advantage over one UT is indifferent toward or even against.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 AM

251 posts, read 398,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tildahat View Post
I guess this is where I don't follow you. I get that G/L is the best starter line and agree. I get that you think that it has the best, and perhaps only, chance of passing. I don't get that you personally will vote against any plan that isn't G/L.

You agree with me about Riverside. The alignment that we think is the likely proposal still serves the Capital complex, UT, the med school, connects up with the Red Line at Hancock center (hopefully spurring a TOD there) and Mueller. I can't see how that's not a decent line, even if it's not the BEST possible line.

It should also be noted when talking about the politics - UT wants the eastern alignment, as I understand it, not the one along the Drag. They are not a bit player in this politically. A route which UT is actively supporting has an advantage over one UT is indifferent toward or even against.
I won't support because I don't think that line is worth the money, and I don't think it will lead to other lines in the future. Rail opponents in other cities would use it as a real life example of a LRT boondoggle.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Exacly, Komeht. There's no real basis to contend on--its virtually a textbook case of why eminent domain exists.
Oh, undoubtedly the ability to obtain the land, and the justification to do so, are without question. What's left to quibble over, and if I owned the land in question what I'd contest, is the price. After all, what's the worth of property directly adjacent to mass transit, presumably soon to be up zoned to greatly increased allowed density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin