Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 PM

389 posts, read 1,631,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Yes, it is different because the land is valued more, not because of regulation. I don't see why you should get a pass on causing flooding/water quality issues because you paid more for your property.
Although the McMansion ordinance was politicaly enacted as an "emergency" response to runoff and flooding, it has zero impact on that issue. The impervious cover limit -- which was already in place -- is the only thing that matters regarding runoff, not how many square feet reside on the conforming footprint. For example -- and please correct me if I am wrong -- a 2,000 square-foot foundation could support a 2,000 ft2 ranch-style house or a 4,000 ft2 two-story structure. Both would cause essentially the same amount of runoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:21 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Yes, I was talking about the IC ordinance, not the McM one. The article was claiming all this financial loss due to the IC limit, but it is not specific to downtown or further out.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:46 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
The point: a 1700 sqft. 250K house in Leander costs $375K in Hyde Park due to additional land regulations. Which is fine, the riff-raff can live in Leander.
That is mostly incorrect as the primary reason it costs more is supply and demand of land. They are making new subdivision in Leander - which keeps the lid on prices - while they are not doing the same in Hyde Park.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:10 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
What I'm saying that the cost of building a house in Central Austin is inflated due to the added regulations that are not found in most other areas of the Austin Metro. Which is fine. No problem finding someone to pay $375K for a house in Hyde Park... though, expect those houses to be bought only by upper whites... then East Austin, hmmm, those blacks gotta' go... then Rosedale and Crestview, so long middle classers... can't afford a $12,000 property tax bill? Well, how about Leander?

Old 04-16-2013, 05:23 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
What I'm saying that the cost of building a house in Central Austin is inflated due to the added regulations that are not found in most other areas of the Austin Metro. Which is fine. No problem finding someone to pay $375K for a house in Hyde Park... though, expect those houses to be bought only by upper whites... then East Austin, hmmm, those blacks gotta' go... then Rosedale and Crestview, so long middle classers... can't afford a $12,000 property tax bill? Well, how about Leander?
Good luck finding a decent house for anywhere close to 375K in Hyde park.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Well, north of 45th then...

109 W. 55 1/2 just sold for $329,000. I drove by it, nice house. Put an additional bedroom, redo the kitchen for $50K. I considered it...

Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,066 times
Quote:
Well, north of 45th then...

109 W. 55 1/2 just sold for $329,000. I drove by it, nice house. Put an additional bedroom, redo the kitchen for $50K. I considered it...
That North Loop (Northfield) area has picked up. 53rd/North Loop Blvd now becoming a drinking/dining destination a la Manor Rd, not just for the neighborhood locals.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:47 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
No. I think it might be hard for you to understand but please look at the asking and paid prices for lots with no homes on them in Central Austin. You cannot have a new $150k single family home in Central Austin without subsidies, because that number is the floor for the land value alone. Yes that means in Central East Austin the going rate is a cool $1m/acre and Hyde Park is a tier or two above that. Also new homes in Central Austin cost more b/c they are not put up 1000 at a time like KB homes with cheap materials and little customization. They are custom floor plans with high end finishes and construction. How many new homes in Leander have metal roofs, $400 windows, cedar siding, and are LEED certified?

Old 04-16-2013, 06:54 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
I think the article was a good write-up. It put real numbers to what we already know - the City of Austin talks out of both sides of it's mouth. Sneak some flask of tequila into a City Council meeting and play that drinking game where everyone takes a swig every time the word "affordable" is muttered. You'll be carried out in a stupor.

Yet the city enacts, and continues to dream up, more and more regulation that guarantees higher home prices in all areas of Austin but particularly in Central Austin, from which families are bleeding from the demographic at an astounding rate because they don't want to live in expensive, small, unexpandable homes that attend (mostly) lousy schools. Now add to that the carnival atmosphere and parking issues encroaching into many of the neighborhoods adjacent to commercial districts, and you just wonder if it's all just a big hidden camera joke.

A couple of weeks ago Greg Guernsey (Director of Planning and Development) came and spoke to a group of us at the board of Realtors. He walked us through a litany of issues the city is dealing with resulting from its complex spaghetti bowl of code, rules and layers upon layers of exceptions and loopholes. They are incredibly backlogged (but catching up due to some creative triage) because the rules are so disjointed its impossible to quickly review and evaluate permit applications because so much double checking and cross referencing is required.

He also outlined how they are making it better, but, ultimately, he at least seems to think that a simpler more straight forward code (a standardized one used elsewheres - I forget the name) would be best all around. But he's not the one who makes that decision. Council does. And council seems 100% disconnected from the implications and outcomes of its own doings. i.e. the recent STR ordinance debacle, which we told them would be a debacle as written. And it was.

Steve

Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
The point: a 1700 sqft. 250K house in Leander costs $375K in Hyde Park due to additional land regulations. Which is fine, the riff-raff can live in Leander.
Meanwhile, the idiots can pay double to live in Hyde Park while the riff-raff spend their savings on stuff they enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin