Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 PM

27 posts, read 35,136 times

Advertisements

I moved from Chicago to Austin a few years ago. So far the best decision I've ever made in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,145 times
Hello! We too are moving from Chicago Suburbs to Austin this summer...and have a young family. Wondering for those that live in Austin now...would recommend living in Flintrock or Lakeway Area? Are there many children? I want to live in a neighborhood where my kids can go out and play with others. I do not need to live near Westlake or downtown Austin. I've already looked into Steiner Ranch...i know that's full of chilldren. Thoughts? Thank you!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
i hope you acknowledge the correlation between what Chicago has become, and single party control for the past 79 years. The record of that "leadership" is $1,200,000,000 in debts, including unfunded pension liabilities. The record includes one of the highest homicide rates in the country, despite passing what was declared to be an unconstitutional restrictions on handguns. The record includes losing 7.1% of the employment base in the 2000s - largest of the top ten metro areas, on top of being the only one of the fifteen largest municipalties to lose population in the 2000s.

The point is, that Texas is a low tax, low service state. Please don't move here and vote for the same philosophy that has demonstrably failed in Chicago. Should you move to the suburbs, you will likely encounter a population that knows the track record of Chicago, and rejects it every two years at the ballot box. Yes -- Austin is more liberal than the surroundings, but you have identified that you probably won't live in Austin. I don't want you to be frustrated.

We Texans welcome our newcomers. We are friendly people -- a point constantly made by my wife's Michigander family. We are accepting of others -- as long as they don't try to make us into what they are fleeing from.
"Please don't move here and vote for the same philosophy that has demonstrably failed in Chicago."

Thanks for your post. To the contrary, we have learned the hard way the kind of destruction to civility, safety, family, economy, and freedom an unchecked political party can create. It is beyond prevalent in every single aspect of our lives, and our kids' lives from complaining to the College Prep High School that they have a problem with hard drugs and listening to them blame the school board for easing up on drug policies, to shootings (and we live in a decent area), to watching our neighbors lose their possessions, to paying outrageous taxes, and transportation costs. We are ready to live our lives in peacefulness once again.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdwillow View Post
Hello! We too are moving from Chicago Suburbs to Austin this summer...and have a young family. Wondering for those that live in Austin now...would recommend living in Flintrock or Lakeway Area? Are there many children? I want to live in a neighborhood where my kids can go out and play with others. I do not need to live near Westlake or downtown Austin. I've already looked into Steiner Ranch...i know that's full of chilldren. Thoughts? Thank you!
Lakeway a few decades ago was an Austin area outpost for vacationers and retirees from other parts of Texas. Three golf courses, and airstrip, and of course Lake Travis. It has changed dramatically. There are many families with children of all ages. Still has more retirees than areas like Steiner. But I think in general that is a good thing because the retirees are active volunteers. Lakeway has a controlling city government. Tight speed limits. And strict building codes. However they are less offensive than what most HOAs do. I lived in Lakeway from 1986-1998. I still live in the Lake Travis area.

Lakeway has a nice pool, an adjacent skateboard park, and other parks including a lakefront one (though it may not have water in front of it now because of low lake levels).

Flintrock falls under Lakeway city government, but is outside of regular Lakeway. The homes are larger, more expensive, and (anecdotally) owned by people with fewer young children. Less of a neighborhood feel.

The schools in the area are very good.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
i hope you acknowledge the correlation between what Chicago has become, and single party control for the past 79 years. The record of that "leadership" is $1,200,000,000 in debts, including unfunded pension liabilities. The record includes one of the highest homicide rates in the country, despite passing what was declared to be an unconstitutional restrictions on handguns. The record includes losing 7.1% of the employment base in the 2000s - largest of the top ten metro areas, on top of being the only one of the fifteen largest municipalties to lose population in the 2000s.

The point is, that Texas is a low tax, low service state. Please don't move here and vote for the same philosophy that has demonstrably failed in Chicago. Should you move to the suburbs, you will likely encounter a population that knows the track record of Chicago, and rejects it every two years at the ballot box. Yes -- Austin is more liberal than the surroundings, but you have identified that you probably won't live in Austin. I don't want you to be frustrated.

We Texans welcome our newcomers. We are friendly people -- a point constantly made by my wife's Michigander family. We are accepting of others -- as long as they don't try to make us into what they are fleeing from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishirx View Post
"Please don't move here and vote for the same philosophy that has demonstrably failed in Chicago."

Thanks for your post. To the contrary, we have learned the hard way the kind of destruction to civility, safety, family, economy, and freedom an unchecked political party can create. It is beyond prevalent in every single aspect of our lives, and our kids' lives from complaining to the College Prep High School that they have a problem with hard drugs and listening to them blame the school board for easing up on drug policies, to shootings (and we live in a decent area), to watching our neighbors lose their possessions, to paying outrageous taxes, and transportation costs. We are ready to live our lives in peacefulness once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin