Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 22,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Aside from the taxes
Whats wrong with the taxes? Its 2.75% correct?

What is a normal water bill? Energy Bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I'm mostly just talking about the water. I'll try to find a bill for an example. Ours is never really too outrageous, but we try not to go crazy using too much. Hutto is safe. I'm not afraid to walk at night in my neighborhood alone. Despite some of the negatives posted, there are also lots of positives. Hutto used to be a one stop light town with just under 2,000 people....and that was like 10-20 years ago. It has a little over 20,000 now. There was one neighborhood that had some major issues as far as the ground, and that was only because of the shabby building they did. I live in a nearby neighborhood on the same type of soil and we never had any foundation issues. My daughter attends public school here and there are some things I don't like about it, but it hasn't been enough to chase us out. We have some great neighbors and my daughter has lots of friends, so don't let that worry you. There are good, down to earth friendly and helpful people here.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:15 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
I'm going to put in a good word for Hutto as well. I live in the "Three points" area (where three cities meet - Pflugerville, Hutto, and Round Rock). Just like Pflugerville, Cedar Park, Leander, and all of the other rural, small towns that suddenly find themselves now "small cities," there will be growing pains. You have to have a healthy dose of perspective. That is why people who reside in Austin don't really understand or have a clue as to what it is to transition from a small town that literally had farmers trucking produce down two lane roads well into the 20th century to a city..worse yet, a "suburb of Austin." You have to live in these towns-in-transition to fully understand.

That being said, I liken Hutto, Pflugerville and Round Rock as three siblings from similar stock. Which means that all three cities at one time not so long ago were just like Hutto...primarily rural. Round Rock being the oldest "child", Pflugerville being the middle child, and Hutto being the baby -- the last one out of the house. Round Rock has grown up and has left the nest. Pflugerville is pretty much there, too, especially since it is lessening its reliance on property taxes. Hutto, being the baby brother, is almost there but is taking a slower time and is constantly in the shadow of its larger brethren. Understanding that, and going into things with eyes wide open, you can spare yourself disappointment and actually enjoy living there if that is what you want to do. The retail thing is really a non-issue. If you go right down 685, you can enjoy the large shopping center area in Pflugerville, which has (or will have) just about everything known to man. Down 79, you have Wal Mart. Hutto also has some quaint local establishments in its downtown area. It's not big, and doesn't resemble Georgetown's, but it does have some local flavor.

All the suburban cities have similar new home offerings, Hutto included. I know you've already set your eyes on one house, but it's worth looking at the Lookout / Brushy Creek area. These homes are custom and are on acreage and range from 300-800k. Yes, there are many people seeking acreage that's "far out" but not too far out from town and live in Hutto.

Crimewise, from what I've read, Hutto doesn't appear to be that bad at all. As far as the utilities, it doesn't matter really where you live, but you're gonna pay more not living in the City of Austin. So, take that into consideration.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I'm mostly just talking about the water. I'll try to find a bill for an example. Ours is never really too outrageous, but we try not to go crazy using too much. Hutto is safe. I'm not afraid to walk at night in my neighborhood alone. Despite some of the negatives posted, there are also lots of positives. Hutto used to be a one stop light town with just under 2,000 people....and that was like 10-20 years ago. It has a little over 20,000 now. There was one neighborhood that had some major issues as far as the ground, and that was only because of the shabby building they did. I live in a nearby neighborhood on the same type of soil and we never had any foundation issues. My daughter attends public school here and there are some things I don't like about it, but it hasn't been enough to chase us out. We have some great neighbors and my daughter has lots of friends, so don't let that worry you. There are good, down to earth friendly and helpful people here.
Actually Hutto was even smaller..like 618 give or take in 1996/7 when I was looking for some land.
Last link I could find was 1250 pop in 2000. Hutto just burst overnight in home building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin