Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,309,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
This, I agree with, or at least as long as I keep seeing one person per car commuting into town, almost without exception. One or two cars out of hundreds have a passenger.
Before we build toll road$ or other major road 'improvements', we need to start with HOV lanes.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
This, I agree with, or at least as long as I keep seeing one person per car commuting into town, almost without exception. One or two cars out of hundreds have a passenger.
Yup, the numbers are depressing and opposite of where we should be going:

Old 05-07-2013, 06:54 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,309,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Yup, the numbers are depressing and opposite of where we should be going:

There's no money to be made in carpooling....or HOV lanes....

Old 05-07-2013, 07:03 PM

440 posts, read 714,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I don't judge anyone for living where they do- not at all. What I do find objectionable is when someone CHOOSES to live farther out, then demands improvement to existing highways because their commute times are so long. THAT doesn't make sense to me.
I used to agree with you. I lived in Oak Hill and worked in Oak Hill. Then my job ended there, and what I could find was in Wells Branch. Now it's "just" north Austin. People can't move as often as their job moves unless they are renters or have a lot of money.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,731,337 times
This is hilarious: Watch My First Place | The Real Cost of Granite online | Free | Hulu

Prospective Steiner Ranch buyers:

Husband: "How is that not a good counter?"
Wife: "Because it's not granite."

Husband: "Do you know how it would cost to change these counter tops?"
Wife: "I don't care."

Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 PM

440 posts, read 714,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
This is hilarious: Watch My First Place | The Real Cost of Granite online | Free | Hulu

Prospective Steiner Ranch buyers:

Husband: "How is that not a good counter?"
Wife: "Because it's not granite."

Husband: "Do you know how it would cost to change these counter tops?"
Wife: "I don't care."

I apologize for women like this.

On the other hand, men seem to marry them aplenty as long as they keep the stomach full and the other part empty.

Me? I don't care as long as I can clean the counters. I think I'll be forced to upgrade when I sell, but I am waiting to see what's in vogue at that time (I've been through the laminate-Corian-marble-granite Age and wonder what's next).

Old 05-07-2013, 08:04 PM

12,943 posts, read 13,320,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
True grit.

Looks like Round Rock.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:08 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,792,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
There's no money to be made in carpooling....or HOV lanes....
I don't understand this, though. There's money to be saved by the commuter. Why would the government (and therefore citizens) have to spend money on a special lane in order to carpool?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:52 PM

912 posts, read 1,284,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
Go take a look at the recent "Central Neighborhoods and Commute Times" thread. There's someone calling Hyde Park "gritty". How's that going to help the out of towner make an informed decision? Also, the comment you posted was someone responding to someone else calling the urban core ghetto. So no, as the evidence you provided shows, it's not one sided.
I would just like to say that I lived in one of the apartment complexes in Hyde Park awhile back, and gritty is *exactly* the word I'd would use to describe it (though not ghetto). The landlord didn't believe in giving his maintenance worker keys, so when something broke, and it often did, he would have people leave a window unlocked so the maintenance guy could climb through. The whole place was run down, cars got broken into all the time, and it did feel a lot less polished and neighborly than other places in central austin that I lived.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,115,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLO View Post
If you read my earlier post, I wholeheartedly agree with the benefits and amenities in suburbia that can't be found in the central core.

But the cost I mentioned for living in suburbia is not just about giving up greenery, but the cost of commute time. As I stated earlier too, some schools in Suburbia are top notch. However, if you commute to the city, it's hard to enjoy beautiful trails and green belts at home in when you're stuck in traffic during rush hour. We did the commute several years ago when we lived in Austin. Traffic was much less intense back then. We spent more time thinking about the bike trails and the pool at home than actually enjoying them during the week. Why? Because when you live 15-20 miles outside the city, the commute is costly in time spent in traffic.

But you always have the weekends, I guess? So you have to measure the cost of aesthetic beauty vs. the cost of time spent behind a wheel. Being central is ideal for commute time. For greenery and biking trails, it is not. There's a cost to pay one way or the other.

So, living in suburbia is about COST. You trade a long commute time (assuming you commute to the city) for greenery, trails, etc. There's a COST to commuting ... and it's measured in time away from your family ... unless of course you work from home. And given Austin's traffic situation, commute time is a cost to consider.
I definitely agree. My commute is about 10 minutes door to door. Sometimes 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin