Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 02:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

In other words, it makes it harder for developers to bulldoze entire lots of trees and put up masses of concrete, which apparently is your goal for Austin, or at least Central Austin. That would be the reason the ordinance exists, as I said, to protect one of Austin's major assets from people who are so short-sighted as to do such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In other words, it makes it harder for developers to bulldoze entire lots of trees and put up masses of concrete, which apparently is your goal for Austin, or at least Central Austin. That would be the reason the ordinance exists, as I said, to protect one of Austin's major assets from people who are so short-sighted as to do such things.
In other words build up instead of sprawling all over the country destroying every it of countryside within 30 miles of central Austin. To protect one of Austin's major assets from people who are so short sighted as to do such things.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
In other words build up instead of sprawling all over the country destroying every it of countryside within 30 miles of central Austin. To protect one of Austin's major assets from people who are so short sighted as to do such things.
In other words, a Central Austin in which all connection to nature has been destroyed.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 PM

157 posts, read 266,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In other words, a Central Austin in which all connection to nature has been destroyed.
TXHorseLady, with due respect - didn't you once say you that you found people who legislate their preferences on others to be quite offensive?

Last edited by je4xff; 05-04-2013 at 01:15 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 07:09 PM

251 posts, read 398,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
If you think Austin city elections, prior to 10-1, were the result of the "democratic process", you are selectively delusional.
Everyone in town has a right to vote. Apathy is no one's fault but the citizen's. Now if you think our gerrymandered state house and senate districts are a better representation of the democratic process then you are the one who is delusional.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:04 AM

440 posts, read 714,296 times
Quote:
Heritage tree ordinance protects trees that are a mere 24" inches in diameter. There is nothing extraordinary about such trees...they're completely ordinary.
No, they aren't ordinary. And 24" is easy for some fast growing trash trees to reach, but not for live oaks. Having a quality urban canopy adds value to properties and provides energy savings via shade. You are not allowed to have a rusted-out jacked up car in your front yard; how is this different?

I have first-hand experience at protecting trees that are specimen trees, and believe me, it's very hard. If a developer really wants trees gone, all they have to do is take their time developing. Without extremely aggressive protection like that used at the Wildflower Center, the construction will kill the trees all on its own.

Show me one case where a developer has failed to get a variance. I really think you're protesting the intrusion of the law, rather than a specific instance of harm. Show me the added cost of protecting large trees. We have loads of rules that regulate what is built in a city. Want complete control? Move to the country.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 AM

The point in a regulation in which everyone who asks for a variance receives one is to please the voters while giving the developers what they want.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:28 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
The point in a regulation in which everyone who asks for a variance receives one is to please the voters while giving the developers what they want.
Well that's not what happens here and you should read up on the true costs of the ordinance before spouting off about stuff which you don't know anything about.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Well that's not what happens here and you should read up on the true costs of the ordinance before spouting off about stuff which you don't know anything about.
:shakes head:

I have watched as these variances make their way through the city planning department and to ZAPCO and other official bodies. I receive notification of every variance filed in my area. I know what I see in practice - the regulation is theoretical. I've chosen not to insult you but instead to raise a case where a specific property owner or developer can cite real harm from being denied a variance. Then I can look into the case and talk to the "stakeholders."

Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 PM

Komeht, what's your occupation and your actual experience with these things? hillcountryheart seems to have an occupation and/or serious interest that means that they deal with this on a regular basis - how about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin