Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 AM

766 posts, read 1,254,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
What's the difference between you living central and driving to the burbs, and someone who does the reverse? Aren't you both contributing to sprawl?
I work 2 days each week and carpool while I'm at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 06:11 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
What's the difference between you living central and driving to the burbs, and someone who does the reverse? Aren't you both contributing to sprawl?
Exactly.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I'm a UT student working part time in the bee caves area and every time I drive there I can't help but feel sad about the destruction of those majestically beautiful hills for the massive, soul less boxes made of ticky tacky. As much as suburban culture bothers me, I understand the reasoning of why they move out there -- but what bothers me is when they destroy a naturally beautiful area like the western hills or like in the Woodlands in Houston.

Anyone else agree?
I dont. But I would rather see the land used than just exist for a few people to look at.

You can research the balcones canyonland preserve. It is hill country land that is fenced off and no one can enter it unless they are with BCCP tour guide.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 AM

625 posts, read 1,133,897 times
Quote:
I'm a UT student working part time in the bee caves area and every time I drive there I can't help but feel sad about the destruction of those majestically beautiful hills for the massive, soul less boxes made of ticky tacky. As much as suburban culture bothers me, I understand the reasoning of why they move out there -- but what bothers me is when they destroy a naturally beautiful area like the western hills or like in the Woodlands in Houston.

Anyone else agree?
Good observation from student...sheesh y'all...talk about knee-jerk from the stands.... I can appreciate the angle.

As someone who grew up in Houston, spending time as a kid in the Woodlands and Spring Branch/Memorial (awhile back, mind you), then coming to UT and staying in Austin, I get where OP is coming from.

Just bc a few minority families are sprinkled amongst a white majority doesn't make your neighborhood diverse imo either.

OP pointed directly at Bee Caves...didn't just come out and condemn all surrounding suburbs.

How does reverse-commuting to a job in the burbs contribute to sprawl? IMO, you gotta live out there to contribute to the burbs. Otherwise, you're just passing through.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
The schools are "subpar" but any parent who invests in their child's education, regardless of low performing schools, will see their children flourish.
This is a gross over simplification based on a sample size of one - you.

I agree that the expectations of parents matter a lot. But most parents don't want to surround their kids in school with kids whose parents don't care about education. The surroundings, including peer pressure, cannot be ignored. Until a wholesale swap of the student body occurs in some of these schools, parents will resist sending their kids there. Add in the challenge of a $500K home much smaller and older than they want and you have a very unattractive proposition.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
The pay is good for a student like me.
You are doing what makes sense for you.

So when a family lives in an area that makes sense for them, whether in Bee Cave or Leander, what are they doing differently? Chances are good that unless they work for the state of Texas or UT, or are a lawyer, their job isn't central. Even if it is - it might not be a 20 year long commitment.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 AM

844 posts, read 2,019,946 times
I agree that I hate to see the beautiful wilderness covered in parking lots, stores and houses. The irony I think is that the people who live there actually do want to experience the hill country, but by living there, end up damaging what they love.

Or I could be wrong and they're just social climbing racists.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:

Anyone else agree?
Undoubtedly someone said the same thing 150 years ago when Austin began sprawling beyond Edwin Waller's original city plan....

Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
I agree that I hate to see the beautiful wilderness covered in parking lots, stores and houses. The irony I think is that the people who live there actually do want to experience the hill country, but by living there, end up damaging what they love.

Social climbing racists? That is absurd. If a non-white person chooses to live there, are they racists too?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post

This right here. Not satisfied with enjoying it like the rest of us, they feel the need to own a piece of it, thus ruining it for everyone else and, incidentally, themselves.

I agree with Komeht that planning could be better. I just don't think that "stuff as many people as you possibly can into a small portion of central Austin, build up up up and wipe out the yards, etc." is any better planning than unleashed suburban sprawl - that's just his preference as opposed to the preferences of those who want to move into the hill country. Both are equally destructive in their way, and we need to find something better than either of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin