Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 AM

99 posts, read 146,837 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me some ball park estimates on the following:

1. installing granite or modern counter tops in a kitchen with an island

2. replacing carpeting with hard wood floors on the bottom floor (living area)
of a 2200 sq ft house (assume all bedrooms are upstairs and won't have hard wood
floors)

3. installing hard wood floors in a 2200 sq ft one story house through out (includes bedrooms, but not bathrooms or kitchen, which will have tile)

I'm just looking for ball park estimates to give me an idea of how much things like this will cost. Please, nothing super expensive, just average grade (but not laminate flooring or other cheaper replacements).

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Maybe $8 a sq foot for the flooring installed, don't know about the granite, granite supply can change and that impacts the price as well as quality, size, etc. Plus can the existing cabinets support it etc.

Go to home depot and ask, that will get a ballpark estimate

Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,105 times
Do you plan to install these yourself or do you plan on getting someone to install?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
You might want to think twice if you are thinking of putting new counter tops on old cabinets. This is a real turn-off for lots of people (including me.)

Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teasipmom View Post
Can someone give me some ball park estimates on the following:

1. installing granite or modern counter tops in a kitchen with an island

2. replacing carpeting with hard wood floors on the bottom floor (living area)
of a 2200 sq ft house (assume all bedrooms are upstairs and won't have hard wood
floors)

3. installing hard wood floors in a 2200 sq ft one story house through out (includes bedrooms, but not bathrooms or kitchen, which will have tile)

I'm just looking for ball park estimates to give me an idea of how much things like this will cost. Please, nothing super expensive, just average grade (but not laminate flooring or other cheaper replacements).

thanks!
To be honest, there's not even remotely enough information to even get in the same city, let alone ballpark.

For counters, how many square feet? Or even, how big is the kitchen?

For your second and third questions, there's just no way of knowing - without having a rough idea of how many bathrooms there are, how big is the kitchen - how much of the two story house is upstairs?

Also, prices will vary between Austin and San Carlos.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 AM

I'm not installing myself. It would be installed by a contractor prior to us moving in. We're moving to Austin and I'm trying to get an idea of what it would cost to upgrade an older home. I have no idea the square footage in any of the scenarios. I'm just trying to get an idea. If it costs more than 20-30K, then I'll look for a newer house and forget the updates.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM

Also, the homes I've been looking at are built around 1997, so they aren't super old. But they need some updates.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,105 times
Try this calculator to estimate how much flooring material you might need: Lowe's Laminate Flooring Calculator

Most flooring material includes padding and everything so you won't need much else. However, add labor and haul away (of existing material) to the material cost.

I understand you are trying to figure out if it is even worth looking at slightly older homes and fix it up. That is, you don't have a particular home in mind. Still, I highly recommend just visiting your local Home Depot and Lowe's to get an idea of their costs. Their costs will definitely be in the ball park you are looking for.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:10 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,023 times
Small sized kitchen - counters: $1200-1500
Medium sized kitchen - counters: $2000-2500

That doesn't include a new backsplash, just counter installation. I'm totally making these numbers up, too, btw, based on our research. There's a lot of variation in granite/silestone that affects the price, as does the options you choose.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:05 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
My house is the same age. We put in hardwoods a few years ago and spent about $10/sq foot, installed. You can spend less, but the wood will not be as high a quality.

Granite counters are about $8 a sq/ft. Again, you can spend less or a lot more depending on the granite you choose, thickness, etc. You may also need to factor in extra money to replace the sink(s) and fixtures as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: